brewery

LeoSylvain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1755 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't know if it is the best place for this message. But when I started people recommend me brewery to learn buiding.  I went few times but I didn't have a good experience. Feeling so lost. I don't understand how thing happend what happend what to do and rules and all. I am siting on a barel but always I think it is for advanced user.

Question is it a good way to learn ? Maybe not good for me. My problem is that I don't know where to start.

I take it you mean "Builders' Brewery". I haven't had much experience with them, a friend attended a class once and then asked me to come look at what she'd made, and the lecturer was angry with me for pointing out that it would probably be easier to just learn blender (they were doing that sculptie from a texture map sort of thingy). One thing that I think goes for any in-world classes in building is that it's not always clear what the teacher is referring to in their UI, as you can't see their UI, and that the pacing may not suit everyone in attendance, especially not if there are people with different language levels present.

There are several blogs though, which show each step in clear pictures, that might be easier to follow and allows you to work at your own pace. It also allows you to chose what exactly you want to learn - if you're just interested in playing with prims, then perhaps you just want to learn the basics of how to snap things to the grid and how to use the features and object tabs to their full potential, or if you want to make mesh and upload that, well, you'll have to learn how to use a mesh program (such as Blender) and then learn how to make your mesh work properly in SL. I suggest you browse some blogs and see what catches your interest, or if you're looking for anything specific someone might be able to point you towards a specific article on the subject.

I went for quite a while back in ~2011. A couple of things you have to consider with Builder's Brewery:

1. Every teacher there isn't created equal. Some teachers just use a canned script and run through the motions. Some teachers can explain why you're doing what you're doing and why you want to do it. Go for those teachers. In other words, learn as much as you can even if its not something you think you're not interested in. What you'll learn is a lot of things are related in SL.
  2. Teachers are just regular SL residents. There may be other ways to do things, just follow along, even if you know a better way. It'll confuse the people that don't know.

I learned about GIMP, building and mesh there. I'd say it's pretty useful. Just take what you can from there, its a good base!

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 12:33 AM, Orwar said:

I take it you mean "Builders' Brewery". I haven't had much experience with them, a friend attended a class once and then asked me to come look at what she'd made, and the lecturer was angry with me for pointing out that it would probably be easier to just learn blender (they were doing that sculptie from a texture map sort of thingy).

I'm surprised the lecturer didn't boot you. If someone gives up their time to teach a subject having someone come and suggest using a non sl program is just rude. Also innacurate, I've tried several times over the years to learn blender and the thing just makes my brain melt.

As for the original question, you need to start with basic and intermediate classes, all the ones I attended were fun and the things learned have proved very useful.

There's a board with class schedules out front, a website with the schedule and a group you can join. The Brewery itself has lots of freebie building supplies to experiment with and a sandbox to do the experimenting in.

Have a look at the board to see if there are any beginner's classes at times you can make. It can be confusing, but you will get there. Two of the good things about learning to build through classes is that everything you need for the project will be supplied and if you go astray, the teacher can look at what you've done and get you back on target.

Helping Haven is another good resource for classes.

It really depends on the class. As others are saying in different words, there are different types of class presentations at BB. I have seen the text-only type class, text and/or voice with PowerPoint like still images, and classes using what I thought was a rather advanced screen share where we could see the instructors screen.

It isn't as clear here that there are different types of building. Start with basic prim building. The It All Begins with a Cube" type stuff. There are schools that start there and take prim building to some amazingly advanced levels. Caledon Oxbridge (URLs unless noted otherwise) is one of the better introductions to SL and gets into building. The Ivory Tower Library of Primitive is an amazing  instruction in building with prims. These are basic for building in SL. Understanding the ideas provides the foundation for more advanced building and creation.

Of course there is more to building than prim shape. We have color... textures or diffuse layer... See the Texture Tutorial. This lays the foundation for advanced Materials.

In these basics I would include the particle system. See The Particle Laborator and Outy's Particle Paradise.

Then we move into building for the avatar. I suggest you make at least a system t-shirt to understand that process. This forms the foundation for working with mesh bodies, heads, and hands via appliers. See Avatar UV Templates (you'll have to look around to find the templates/uv maps) and Beginner's Tutorial (YouTube). Also, with BoM this type of creation is coming back, probably in late July or August this year. So, time spent here will be more beneficial in the future.

Sculpties... these would be next but, I strongly suggest you avoid learning how to make them. Once upon a time they were all we had and served a purpose. Today we have mesh, which provides more ability and less render cost. Plus, sculpties have a lot of complication and numerous restrictions. I recommend spending no time on them.

Scripting... You can get by using canned (pre-written/existing) public domain scripts. Understanding the basics will make life easier. BB has good classes. The College of Scripting, Music, & Science is a reference library and tutorial.

The last step in building for SL is mesh modeling. Blender is the free choice and has lots of support in SL. Machinimatrix.org and YouTube are where the tutorials are. BB provides classes too. I suggest starting with things and then advance to clothes.

Clothes are the most complicated part of building for SL. Skins are the artistically difficult challenge.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1755 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.