In need of friends

xxAGALIAREPTxx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm having trouble meeting new people. It seems that everywhere I go people are either AFK or in their IM's and in the cases where people are talking in the nearby chat my shyness takes over and I find it hard to talk unless someone talks to me first, which usually leads to me listening to conversations until I get bored then going somewhere else. I just want people I can talk to and hangout with, hopefully on a regular basis. Either respond to this or send me a message in world and maybe we could hangout and talk. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, xBaeBeex said:

and i feel very awkward just trying to talk to randoms ...

The trick is to keep in mind that they are more afraid of you, than you are of them. Well, at least that's true in my case - satanic Swedes aren't everyone's cupp'a.

• Haha 1

I think the trick isn't so much to be actively seeking people (unless that works for you, and if it does, fantastic! Problem solved). It's cliché but finding something that you enjoy doing in SL (and even RL) should expand your social circle, generally speaking. At least that way you're more inclined to find people with similar interests to yours so that when the initial "getting to know you" stage is past you'll actually have enough in common to want to stay in touch.

Of course that doesn't work for everyone. There does seem like an awful lot of people standing around AFK than there used to be. That's unavoidable. And to be honest I myself am guilty of being part of the IM crowd. I spend a lot of time building or working on personal projects that just talking over IMs works for me. 

When I was new to SL I didn't know how to approach people either. I didn't want to interrupt. Now I don't have a problem talking to other people so much. It's the whole "do I want to?" thing that usually stops me. I'm not a great conversationalist and I almost never initiate which is why my friends list is usually small. Who knew having to actively communicate with others on a regular basis took so much effort? 

Anyway, best of luck and fingers crossed you meet others that eventuate in some great, long-standing friendships. :)

14 minutes ago, xBaeBeex said:

you never know.. could be someones cup of strong tea.

Takes a sip from his cup of Assam. Weak tea is for weak people!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.