Degraded sim performance messages: 3x a week or more, you too ?

Steve Mahfouz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1423 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all,

I've been on SL almost 14 years, so I'm no stranger to technical problems. All of we "old-timers' can remember the grid-wide griefer attacks.

However, my question today is about those....annoying but necessary degraded sim performance messages. They occur at my Linden home. They happen at sandboxes. They even occur at one of the Linden "official" sims. They seem to happen at least 3x a week. 

What's going on ? Was this always happening before, I never noticed it and wasn't notified ? Is this a "new phenomenon" ?

I'm not trying to bash Linden Lab or the Lindens here. I'm just very curious. Thank you in advance.

Steve Mahfouz

• Like 1

This doesn't ring a bell for me, either. Do you know if the messages are emitted by the sim itself, or by the viewer (which viewer?) observing sim performance, or even by an attached sim-monitoring script?

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 1

What's the exact wording of the message?
Is it We are sorry, Linden Lab has discovered degraded performance on your connection to the region you are on. You will need to restart Second Life and log into a new region for the next 30 minutes to an hour. We apologize for the inconvenience. ?

If that's the message, it's usually a problem with your inventory.
See BUG-225544 - "We are sorry, Linden Lab has discovered degraded performance on your connection to the region you are on."

The majority of people are fixed by deleting their favorite landmarks.

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

What's the exact wording of the message?
Is it We are sorry, Linden Lab has discovered degraded performance on your connection to the region you are on. You will need to restart Second Life and log into a new region for the next 30 minutes to an hour. We apologize for the inconvenience. ?

See BUG-225544 - "We are sorry, Linden Lab has discovered degraded performance on your connection to the region you are on."

The majority of people are fixed by deleting their favorite landmarks.

Yes that's the exact error message. Ok, off to delete those favorite landmarks. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I received that message once, many months ago.  I did relog at that time and never saw the message again.  I don't have any LM marked as a favorite and since the number of outfits I have is less than 2 dozen, I doubt that was the cause of the message for me.  Since I never saw it again, I assumed that I must really have had a bad connection at the time.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2019 at 5:46 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

We are sorry, Linden Lab has discovered degraded performance on your connection to the region you are on. You will need to restart Second Life and log into a new region for the next 30 minutes to an hour. We apologize for the inconvenience. ?

What that message actually means is that the simulator has determined that messages from your viewer are frequently arriving out of order. Some out of order messages are expected and ok, but if it's happening too much it probably indicates a faulty network path between your viewer and the simulator. Because this can cause problems, certain messages are disabled when this is detected, which is why we suggest relogging somewhere else for a while.

I have no idea why that would be related to landmarks or any other part of inventory, but it's possible ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

• 10 months later...

well y solved this like ppl say its only the FAVORITS folder, just empy that folder i have landmarks and favorits in diferent folders just empty the first one, i put items in thre so that was the problem

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1423 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.