Just a thought churches or meeting place for people with disabilities.cancer,ms etc

roseelvira

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

19 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

No, no, you don't understand.    One of the many advantages of being a premium member, along with Linden Homes, stipends, premium gifts and extra group slots, is that when the stars are right, the lost city of R'lyeh rises from the ocean and Great Cthulhu wakes from his aeons long slumber, premium members get eaten first.

And to think I thought the great goddess G’al was harsh! 😮

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

I hope you will nevertheless allow the existing cults devoted to the worship of  Phillip, Guy and Magellan Linden by means of strange rituals to continue.    

I hear there's a new one around... seems to have sprung up in the Fourze region. The First Bethodist Church of Quartz.

Feel free to stop by and join in on any of the strange rituals that may be occurring! 

(You left that one wide open... no way you didn't expect me to grab it and run!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

On 6/30/2019 at 7:00 PM, Matty Luminos said:

I don't think a religious centre in Bellisseria would be a good idea, unless it was wholly resident-run, though I imagine it would be as easy to convert a traditional house into a church as it is to convert one into a pub.

As far as disability support goes, you can't get better than Virtual Ability. I've been a member there for years. Anything similar in Bellisseria couldn't hope to come close to the level of resources and qualified support they provide.

While I run a Buddhist center, Buddhism at it core is a non deity based, self reflective system, and the discussions are based on self reflection, wisdom and compassion, without personal faith based aspects which it does not contain.

On other religious aspects people would have to have personal ran as well. It is not something LL would get into or be able to support as it could cause favoritism of one over another, unless a unitarian approach. Personal home gatherings are up to individuals.

THe same with A Buddhist center, I run it based on the core aspect that do not separate anyone in the community. When dealing with dharma, you must be certain people are getting the correct information and not a mix bagged version. 

THe other aspect is we focus on wellness, dealing with stress, ailments, and how we transform negative emotions into positive to reflections for all. Even tho buddhism is grouped for status reasons into religion, it is not a religion in itself. THe core dharma does not contain cultural aspects. 

All tho a United Federation Of Planets church would be funny. 

Edited by anthonytorino
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, anthonytorino said:

While I run a Buddhist center, Buddhism at it core is a non deity based, self reflective system, and the discussions are based on self reflection, wisdom and compassion, without personal faith based aspects which it does not contain.

On other religious aspects people would have to have personal ran as well. It is not something LL would get into or be able to support as it could cause favoritism of one over another, unless a unitarian approach. Personal home gatherings are up to individuals.

THe same with A Buddhist center, I run it based on the core aspect that do not separate anyone in the community. When dealing with dharma, you must be certain people are getting the correct information and not a mix bagged version. 

THe other aspect is we focus on wellness, dealing with stress, ailments, and how we transform negative emotions into positive to reflections for all. Even tho buddhism is grouped for status reasons into religion, it is not a religion in itself. THe core dharma does not contain cultural aspects. 

All tho a United Federation Of Planets church would be funny. 

I've dabbled in Buddhism in RL for many of the same reasons; being non-deity-based, wellness-focused etc. Buddhism, the way I see it, is less like a religion and more like a self-help program. However, I disagree that there are no cultural or personality aspects to it. There is a clear division on cultural grounds between Tibetan, Indian, Chinese and Japanese Buddhism, and some Buddhist Schools certainly do fall into the trap of "cult of personality". I refuse to deal with my local Buddhist School (which is Tibetan) for this exact reason. 

Core Dharma may not contain it, but individual schools certainly do hence my interest in Buddhism is largely a solitary study.

Edited by Lewis Luminos

16 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

I've dabbled in Buddhism in RL for many of the same reasons; being non-deity-based, wellness-focused etc. Buddhism, the way I see it, is less like a religion and more like a self-help program. However, I disagree that there are no cultural or personality aspects to it. There is a clear division on cultural grounds between Tibetan, Indian, Chinese and Japanese Buddhism, and some Buddhist Schools certainly do fall into the trap of "cult of personality". I refuse to deal with my local Buddhist School (which is Tibetan) for this exact reason. 

Core Dharma may not contain it, but individual schools certainly do hence my interest in Buddhism is largely a solitary study.

Our center doesn't focus on cultural aspects of it is what the post said. THere are cultural aspects in various types, but that is not core dharma and westerners need to undersnad the difference.

Example in Tibetan schools buddhism, both Mahayana and vajrayana, you have the core of the schools and approaches. Mahayana focusing more on the writings and scholar approach, while vajrayana combines that, but in less amounts, with the more direct "Grab the bull by the horn" practices of ngondro, starting with the core refuge and understandings, the Bodhisattva vows and prostrations, diamond mind practices, and Guru yoga practices.  

The tibetan cultural aspects are irrelevant to westerners, and seasoned rinpoche's explain why you should not confuse the two. The traditions are not Buddhism, but cultural. and nt the core aspects of dharma. What you wear, the use of horns and pali drums, and other traditional aspects (even some derived from old bon traditions) has no benefit to the mind itself. 

Kagyupa centers remove the tibetan traditions totally. The focus is practice and meditation and transformation of mind. 

Zen Buddhist in the west  take similar approaches. In the western world the traditions are not important, and our culture is different. Mixing in another countries culture have no benefit. 

There are cultural differences yes, but core dharma stays the same in schools. In the west the wording changes to ours. Mantras are still recited in focus in sanskrit when you have an understanding of it, but they may also be done in English. THe focus is hte vibration and removal of obscurations, rather then words. 

As i stated "The core dharma does not contain cultural aspects" which is true. The cultural aspects are fluff from cultures but not the core. Depending where you live, you will find most centers open to public and westerners don't contain cultural aspects, and explain why it is not a factor in the western culture. 

Edited by anthonytorino
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.