Jump to content
Cahtias

Who else checks for new linden homes everyday?

Recommended Posts

I guess its been 2 or 3 months now that i check for Linden Homes release but nothing yet. I quit trying to refresh because that was just a waste of time. I heard about a new release cadence on Monday but silence since then and as far as I know, no new releases. Would be nice to have a target date for the next release. is this such an inexact science that putting a delivery date is impossible? Im curious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There have been four sims released since the announcement on monday: one on monday, one on wednesday, and two on friday. Part of the announcement said that they would not be announcing each individual release. I recommend watching in the Bellisseria Citizens and Bellisseria Community group in world, as well as visiting the in-development regions yourself in world :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As announced in the update thread on Monday at 3:52 PM SLT

1037056876_patchonnoupdatingonreleases-june243-52pm.thumb.jpg.6ff431014f4a20a190b2b6e9125eac21.jpg

So people are watching all day. The release times were changed recently to be earlier but I am guessing they will be changed again so going by that AND the fact that TWO releases happened on Friday --- THERE ARE NO RULES.

 

17 plots = 3 seconds. Some folks are getting places but your chances aren't good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, IMHO,  I think the grabbing up of homes may be better (and more fairly accomplished) if the Lindens took the original 5 changes per week rule and made the number larger (20?, don't know) and also limited the number of tries per day or week overall.  This may keep the servers from getting overloaded and keep people more in check.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chad Marbach said:

Actually, IMHO,  I think the grabbing up of homes may be better (and more fairly accomplished) if the Lindens took the original 5 changes per week rule and made the number larger (20?, don't know) and also limited the number of tries per day or week overall.  This may keep the servers from getting overloaded and keep people more in check.  

The limit is actually 5 in a 24 hour period right now - get & abandon, that is.

I'm not sure they'd want to mess with trying to stop people from refreshing the page or going to it lots of times a day.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok. But the limitation is enforced to prevent overload from people overrunning the servers with constantly renewed requests. (though originally, of course, in regard to the original homesteads).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Chad Marbach said:

ok. But the limitation is enforced to prevent overload from people overrunning the servers with constantly renewed requests. (though originally, of course, in regard to the original homesteads).

from what Patch Linden has said, LL went thru all the options and decided that making a region available as soon as it is ready was the way to go. Rather than holding it back to release at a later date.  A decision based on the Happy Sooner rule

Happy Sooner rule:  LL is not going to make everyone happy, no matter how the homes are released. So they went with at least making a region's worth of people happy sooner rather than later

Like Monday: 20 people happy. Wednesday: 20 more people happy. Friday 20 more people happy

as opposed to:  Monday: Nobody happy. Wednesday: Nobody happy. Friday 60 people happy

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Chad Marbach said:

ok. But the limitation is enforced to prevent overload from people overrunning the servers with constantly renewed requests. (though originally, of course, in regard to the original homesteads).

First off, I don't know that there is an easy way for them to try to enforce that only during non-release times.  During release times, people have to be able to refresh lots and lots and lots and lots.  During release time, you can easily get a home to show up on the main page, but if your speed isn't quick enough, after getting to the next page, you'll then miss out.  In those cases, you have to then go back and refresh the homes page again. Rinse, repeat, until the homes are all gone again.

During release times, there have been a few times where there were so many people trying to get homes, that many would sometimes take page errors.  But as I said, I don't think LL wants to try to restrict that process during release times.

Best I know however, the website and servers have had no issues with folks constantly refreshing during non-release times, thus why should LL spend development time working some sort of restriction in to the process?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 today  got the please install update  press ok from ll before i could log  in and guess what ,,, the refresh icon on the  house page not working right ,,,, you have to click it now a number of times before it  will refresh ,,,,so ,,,,, a friend of mine said  some kind of scrjpty thinggy  possible ,,, so ,,,,  i keep thinking of the talk on friday about the dino poop and they rectified it ,,, 

 

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mollymews said:

Happy Sooner rule:  LL is not going to make everyone happy, no matter how the homes are released. So they went with at least making a region's worth of people happy sooner rather than later

For some of us, it's just turned out to be more days of unhappy and feeling stressed out. I actually felt relief when I realised we'd have Saturday and Sunday off from it.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

I actually felt relief when I realised we'd have Saturday and Sunday off from it.

i like this

sometimes yes a little external trigger can help us settle our heads. Will be quite good for lots of people I think that they can now do other things on the weekend, knowing that nothing is going to happen on the weekend which might have otherwise added to their uncertainty levels

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

i like this

sometimes yes a little external trigger can help us settle our heads. Will be quite good for lots of people I think that they can now do other things on the weekend, knowing that nothing is going to happen on the weekend which might have otherwise added to their uncertainty levels

I think you've missed my point, Molly.

From my point of view, chasing abandons was always going to be long hours with low odds. I could put some time in when I felt up to it and not when I didn't, knowing that the next time would have more or less similar chances.

With the MWF thing, I've experienced a false sense of hope, coupled with a today not tomorrow sense of urgency and then the clear knowledge that yet again I've failed in my attempts. It's been far more stressful for me than spells of chasing abandons.

For the 20 people who got a house, they're happy. I can't speak for all of us who are trying and failing, but this new scheme is presenting additional difficulties for me. The relief I've felt of two days off from it speaks to the difficulties, not to anything good.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

I think you've missed my point, Molly.

ah! i think get it now what you are meaning

when trying to get an abandoned then its like a lotto or raffle. Chance are quite small to get the prize, so a little bit disappointed when don't get

say the chances of winning the lotto are 1 in 1000, then we play and try to get lucky. If  not then oh! well, because 1 in 1000

but when we know that is now say 20 prizes then chances are now say 20 in 1000 or 1 in 50, which raises are hopes higher than 1 in 1000, as we have a better chance. And when still we don't get at 1 in 50. Then because are hopes were raised higher by the greater number of prizes available then our disappointment level can be greater when we miss out

i don't have any answer for this. Just trying to understand better what I think you are meaning. I hope I got this right now

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems crazy to me though,, there must be 1000s of second life members looking for these homes.. maybe not 1000s, but 100s at least,, to release 20 homes that get picked up in a matter of seconds just makes the effort of checking the linden homes availability daily a futile effort. Are there people who just live on the webpage waiting for homes to become available? I dont get any announcements saying when homes will be available and if they are being released on monday wednesday and fridays,, when? what time? Is it possible to know this? But even if we did know it,, if 20 homes are being released and being picked up in 5 seconds,, whats the point? 

Unfortunately, i just dont know how to play this "get a new linden home" game. I have a real life and i cant sit on a webpage 24/7 waiting for releases. Would seem to me the better option would be to get your name on a waiting list and rather then "release" houses on a 1st come 1st serve basis,, build the house, assign it to the first one on the list, notify them, and continue to the next, it does seem to be the most fair option. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If people stick with the house or boat they are given , even if it's not in a good position stay with it until everyone has a home even ALTs then everyone can play musical homes .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Cahtias if it were a better option to have a waiting list then it would have been implemented already. 

You get the same information as everyone else. Noone is more special then the next. 

If you cant stay at your PC all day then dont, wait till there is enough to go around. 

@Frankief why? When we can try to get the better position faster. The unwanted homes go back into the pool so there is no difference. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

I think you've missed my point, Molly.

From my point of view, chasing abandons was always going to be long hours with low odds. I could put some time in when I felt up to it and not when I didn't, knowing that the next time would have more or less similar chances.

With the MWF thing, I've experienced a false sense of hope, coupled with a today not tomorrow sense of urgency and then the clear knowledge that yet again I've failed in my attempts. It's been far more stressful for me than spells of chasing abandons.

For the 20 people who got a house, they're happy. I can't speak for all of us who are trying and failing, but this new scheme is presenting additional difficulties for me. The relief I've felt of two days off from it speaks to the difficulties, not to anything good.

I absolutely agree with you Bitsy. The stress can be overwhelming. I try and try and then find out that the houses were gone in 3 seconds, 5 seconds, I'm like OMG, how can I ever compete with this? I have even been on the site hours before the release, constantly refreshing and not one single home comes up. Sooner or later, I know I'll get a home but I want one now! lol But it is what it is and there's nothing we can do but hope and wait and pray we get lucky. Hang in there and if you need someone who understands to vent to, just send me an IM inworld. I'll be happy to listen. *hugs*

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Cahtias said:

Seems crazy to me though,, there must be 1000s of second life members looking for these homes.. maybe not 1000s, but 100s at least,, to release 20 homes that get picked up in a matter of seconds just makes the effort of checking the linden homes availability daily a futile effort. Are there people who just live on the webpage waiting for homes to become available? I dont get any announcements saying when homes will be available and if they are being released on monday wednesday and fridays,, when? what time? Is it possible to know this? But even if we did know it,, if 20 homes are being released and being picked up in 5 seconds,, whats the point? 

Unfortunately, i just dont know how to play this "get a new linden home" game. I have a real life and i cant sit on a webpage 24/7 waiting for releases. Would seem to me the better option would be to get your name on a waiting list and rather then "release" houses on a 1st come 1st serve basis,, build the house, assign it to the first one on the list, notify them, and continue to the next, it does seem to be the most fair option. 

Nobody gets an announcement on the Mon/Wed/Fri region releases.  People were complaining about LL not releasing regions as soon as they were ready, so they decided to try this approach.  

Should a waiting list also be first come first serve?  Or maybe based on rezz date - oldest first or possibly newest first?  What happens if you aren't around when they announce the list and it is first come first serve and so you end up at # 3,000?  If you assign it to the first person on the list, how long do you wait for them to claim it before you assign it to the next person?  If the first person can't claim it for some reason, or doesn't like the location, do they get put back at the top of the list or at the bottom or somewhere in the middle?  Overall, a list would likely be far more difficult for LL to manage.  

Many people do not bother with babysitting the web page either.  They check it now and then, figuring they will eventually get a home, and they continue with their regular SLife and RLife.

And yes, we all realize it is frustrating.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Frankief said:

If people stick with the house or boat they are given , even if it's not in a good position stay with it until everyone has a home even ALTs then everyone can play musical homes .

Why?  If I don't like my location and I grab another one, I'm going to give up what I am currently holding.  Thus there is still a home for someone else to claim. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I turn on the auto refresh if I am at my computer and not doing much else.  Mondays are my days off so I can get up early and see if I can catch the release that comes out that day.   Wednesday and Friday I work and I'm not getting up any earlier than I have to.    For me it is just a house and it is not going to make or break my SL experience.   I come to SL to unwind and de-stress not work myself into a frenzy.

As for a list sounds great in theory, but really it would be a nightmare for the one having to manage it.   The houses just have to catch up to demand.  As others have also stated these are not cookie cutter regions, they are putting time and effort into making this look nice and giving us all a better SL experience.  I believe that everyone will eventually get a house or houseboat and once you get one it will be well worth the wait.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the reasons given against a list approach are very convincing. It would be an automated process like call waiting. You would have one list for boats another for houses, simple first come first served. If you give up your allocation then back to the bottom of the list if you want another. It would remove uncertainty and stress in the current system and remove any advantage for those with better connections and nimble fingers. 

The only unfairness I can see would be from the release time and people complaining they were at work at the time of the release... But that objection is weak since it is shared by the current system. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One problem with a list is 'people who change their minds'. What if the list is say, a three months wait, people who have settled elsewhere, left sl for rl issues etc etc. It would be massively inefficient. How long would you give someone to claim their site, what about those on vacation, surely a week grace period should cover that?

The present system has a lot of faults, and is way too stressful, but at least those who are getting houses are those who currently want them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

I don't think the reasons given against a list approach are very convincing. It would be an automated process like call waiting. You would have one list for boats another for houses, simple first come first served. If you give up your allocation then back to the bottom of the list if you want another. It would remove uncertainty and stress in the current system and remove any advantage for those with better connections and nimble fingers. 

The only unfairness I can see would be from the release time and people complaining they were at work at the time of the release... But that objection is weak since it is shared by the current system. 

 

 

And if, for example, a new premium member or whoever on the list gets the number 25986 - hard luck!?

Those who try harder than others should also be rewarded.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm seriously confused as to how people are finding out that these few homes are even available when they pop up...can someone walk me through the process of knowing??? i know i know...noob question 😜

Edited by AutumnFyreRayne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...