Maybe the SL viewer should load a placeholder avatar first

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1755 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Whenever I go to a sim full of avatars I see everyone loading as floating mesh parts which gradually gain textures and snap onto the avatar until they are complete. It looks weird and disconcerting. In an MMO game with lots of costumes, I've seen a placeholder avatar which looks like a cloaked figure that eventually gets replaced by a complete player avatar. It doesn't break the immersion of the game. I think SL should have this feature. This would look much better than the naked Frankenstein constructs we normally see. I know we've had the glowing balls of light and Ruth before but a normal looking placeholder stored in the client viewer for fast loading would be a good idea right?

13 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I know we've had the glowing balls of light and Ruth before

But then the guys wouldn't be able to see you naked for that split second before your clothes rez!!!

You spoil everything!

(Last night, while I was putting together a new outfit, I accidentally clicked something -- I don't even know what -- and accidentally Ruthed myself.

Scared me sh*tless. You've never seen someone scramble so fast for the "Outfits" folder.)

• Haha 12

I had this happen to me once -- as in, it was me that was broken up -- at a broken doll setup, so the broken up me actually fit, in an odd sort of way.  Even better, it took MINUTES for the broken me to assemble properly, such that I was able to get a decent picture of it.

20171001-Super Slow Rez

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Sadly this is yet another really simple idea that's not so simple in practice.

When Linden Lab went looking for investors back when they were initially proposing Second Life, I wonder how many times they were told some variation of this.

35 minutes ago, animats said:

Didn't early versions of the viewer rez the default "Ruth" avatar until your custom avatar was loaded?

yes it did.  It always looked a bit weird to me when it lagged to see Ruth morph into something else. When the avatar didn't morph then there was a saying for that. Like hey! you might want to relog, you are ruthed on my screen. Used to happen a lot on teleport

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1755 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.