Do You Remember - Share Yours

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1752 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm struggling to remember the brand right now (it started with a K) but she made a pair of boots that were in two parts... the foot and then the leg and somehow they came together in the perfect fit. Kenzi? Kenza? 

I think they were the first thing I owned where I had to contact the creator to tell her how much I loved them and begged for her to make more. 

And not quite as far back as a lot of these memories, but when I got my Lolas... I loved them so much. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I'm struggling to remember the brand right now (it started with a K) but she made a pair of boots that were in two parts... the foot and then the leg and somehow they came together in the perfect fit. Kenzi? Kenza? 

I think they were the first thing I owned where I had to contact the creator to tell her how much I loved them and begged for her to make more. 

And not quite as far back as a lot of these memories, but when I got my Lolas... I loved them so much. 

I'm intrigued about the boots, because I don't recall anything like that. I do remember everyone wearing Bax, though. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I'm intrigued about the boots, because I don't recall anything like that. I do remember everyone wearing Bax, though. 

I want to say this was before Bax, but I'm not sure.

I just logged on to my original avi to see if I still had them but, alas, I finally broke down and deleted everything a couple years ago. I also just looked on the MP to see if maybe they were still listed... no luck. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I want to say this was before Bax, but I'm not sure.

I just logged on to my original avi to see if I still had them but, alas, I finally broke down and deleted everything a couple years ago. I also just looked on the MP to see if maybe they were still listed... no luck. 

I was just digging through my box of "vintage" shoes, but don't see anything like that. It was fun remembering all the old stores, though; I used to live in G Field. 

• Like 3

Anyone remember evil titlers? When they gave the shout in local chat, you could type in what you wanted the wearer to have over their head and they'd be stuck with it until the next change. I always changed it to "afk - masturbating" and not one of them ever found it funny. 

Talking pregnancies and talking...body parts. So irritating. When the Bloodlines spampires became truly unbearable, someone created a talking tampon to make fun of them. 

I had shoes with prim feet that you had to tint to your skin colour. I used to help people do it. My av did look quite good once upon a time (store model, after all). 

Do sploders still exist? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Anyone remember evil titlers? When they gave the shout in local chat, you could type in what you wanted the wearer to have over their head and they'd be stuck with it until the next change. I always changed it to "afk - masturbating" and not one of them ever found it funny. 

My friend still has a titler, but hes a bit of a dork, who think lots of silly attachments are funny..I just put random comments in the titler all the time, he gets well fed up

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

It IS the only pose you're ever gonna need.

insert something in here about Stroker Serpentine and all the things that could be done with 2 prims and a system sit animation in one and the system motorbike rider animation in another, and jiggle the prims a bit

that Stroker was the ebil 😻

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Nearly all boots before sculpts and even after in some cases came in two parts, ankle locks brought them together, if peoples animations lagged you saw boots break. Higher prims with linkset limits could mean three parts...I had a number of thigh high Dark Eden boots with straps and buckles in three each foot. What people did with prims amazing. Enkythings achieved greatness with a more calf fitting shape and broke the grid for a few days of awesomeness. Digital Dragon Designs did lots of boots too, these were all pre Bax. 

Where would we have been if we hadn't had invisi prims...I had boots ETD made using system layer shoe, before it was only used as a shaper. All drawn knee high lace ups with prim attachment sole and heel. I loved them so much

• Like 2

Disclaimer: I'm NOT one of the "oldies", my main account is almost 9, but I just read this entire topic and a lot of this I actually remember. I forgot about the money trees for one thing; that was an Aha! moment!

I've been trying to think of my earliest memory. I remember spending a LOT of time at Kuula NCI playing hangman or watching people line dance in front of the free vendors, and just being blown away by the long-term residents that were there offering advice to us noobs. I remember taking a free pea-pod ride around some of the Linden roads that cut through that area. Raiding the freebies tables near the NCI sandboxes. Running around sometimes literally for hours trying to "catch" free coins so that I could afford purchases on the MP (I tried the fishing, I just couldn't get the hang of it), and how some purchases took me to a page on X-street that wasn't available anymore. I also remember tinting feet (or shoes with toes really) to match the rest of my skin as was mentioned, and that whole Bloodlines thing. I'm sure there's plenty more but that's what I remember right now.

Thanks @Chic Aeonfor starting this topic. It's actually been great to look back. I also agree with the general sentiment that the whole community feels to have changed over the years. Even some of my friends who are a lot older than me say the same thing. It's sad and a bit bittersweet to remember how tight-knit things felt, especially in the RP communities. I truly do miss those days and doubt they will ever return. Never mind. Is still great to have experienced even the tapering end of it's 'heyday' than to never known it at all. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Was it Karu? Probably not, but it's bugging me now...fairly sure I know the brand you're talking about, it was great. 

I LOVED that cheapo store 'DUH!', especially the rubber duck raincoat and checkered 'sneaker boots' (EDIT - they're still on MP! And no, they're not paying me). Don't think they're inworld anymore, but they might be. Also BC322 Rockers/Black Maria, which had brilliant freebie/cheap clothes/hair that easily rivalled some of the best mesh designs. 

Does anybody remember the totally bonkers 'security staff' at Freebies World? Their rants in group chat used to be a daily highlight, almost performance art.

I remember logging for the first time with the gothic girl avatar and being told by a helper that the area was for new avatars only. I guess the new avatars had just been introduced and he was expecting a purple shirt girl. 

One thing I recall fondly was the first music performance I saw at a bar or someplace where everyone was just sitting and the performer started talking before going into a song. It was just perfect. An experience that sold me on the possibilities of SL. 

• Like 2

Living in a truly remote area in RL (yes dial-up internet) and being my first online/international adventure.... Shyly trying to make friends and being completely ignored repeatedly for about.... a week. :(

H8 dem bots xD

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Haha 2

I went premium soon after joining and bought First Land. If I remember correctly it was L$512 for the 512 sqm, which at the time was a bargain. After a couple weeks I sold it to a neighbor and moved to Anshe's Dreamland, which at the time was a pretty big continent. There was water between parcels rather than paths ... the covenant required leaving water at your parcel edges. You could paddle a boat around and nobody bothered you though you were on somebody's parcel at all times (no common land). Within a year or two the continent broke up into pieces - people wanted islands rather than a continent.

I was at Anshe's press conference that was griefed by flying "appendages". The conference was on Dreamland. If they'd bothered to lock down the regions it wouldn't have happened. Griefing was pretty common in 2006 and 2007. LL added the ability to do estate bans, probably with some pressure from Anshe. After that griefing on Dreamland regions went way down ... grief on one region and suddenly you weren't able to go to a big chunk of SL.

Dropping the educational/nonprofit discount was a big deal in my part of SL. It was done around the beginning of the year, so there was no way for most institutions to be able to pay since budgets were generally set in the summer. Nonprofit Commons had 4 regions and was nearly surrounded by MacArthur Foundation regions and others. We (NPC) ended up with two regions and no neighbors at all.

Finally, places that are gone: Aero Pines Park, 3D versions of Van Gogh paintings on Luctesa (forgot the name of the place), Deshima Station, Dresden Gallery, Forgotten City, Frank Lloyd Wright Museum, The City of Steelhead, Primtings Museum, Sala, the SL Shakespeare Company at the SL Globe Theatre, The Pillars of Hercules, Midnight Reflections. I tried to verify that none of these moved elsewhere, but search is down for me on Firestorm. Some old places remain, such as the SL Botanical Gardens, International Spaceflight Museum,  Japan Tempura Island, Da Vinci Gardens, Svarga, The Lost Gardens of Apollo, Mount Everest and Grand Canyon.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

Finally, places that are gone: Aero Pines Park, 3D versions of Van Gogh paintings on Luctesa (forgot the name of the place), Deshima Station, Dresden Gallery, Forgotten City, Frank Lloyd Wright Museum, The City of Steelhead, Primtings Museum, Sala, the SL Shakespeare Company at the SL Globe Theatre, The Pillars of Hercules, Midnight Reflections. I tried to verify that none of these moved elsewhere, but search is down for me on Firestorm. Some old places remain, such as the SL Botanical Gardens, International Spaceflight Museum,  Japan Tempura Island, Da Vinci Gardens, Svarga, The Lost Gardens of Apollo, Mount Everest and Grand Canyon.

I really miss Forgotten City. It was so unique, and I'd love to rent a place there again if I could. I'm not a fan of steampunk, but FC was pure magic. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1752 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.