Do You Remember - Share Yours

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Ghosting. When you'd crash, except your avatar would stay inworld and you couldn't log back in. If you had another account, you could go visit and say hello to your other self standing there.

You had to write a ticket and wait to get properly logged out, though there was a trick to use. It had something to do with the system checking something every 14 minutes or something strange like that.

I remember that. To get logged back in you had to hit just as the clock ticked over at the mark. I forget if it was 14 or 15 minutes but you had a very small window of time to hit that sweet spot. Some of us had to get pretty good at it. lol

ETA: I bet @Whirly Fizzle would remember how long it was.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 3

I had actually never heard of Sion chickens, but I've just been reading up on it. I can actually see why that would be addictive.

ETA: Wow, apparently there was a black egg that contained a hereditary defect that would kill the animals, they would die if you put a living one into your inventory and if you bumped them they would avoid you in the future. How did I never hear about these things?

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I had actually never heard of Sion chickens, but I've just been reading up on it. I can actually see why that would be addictive.

ETA: Wow, apparently there was a black egg that contained a hereditary defect that would kill the animals, they would die if you put a living one into your inventory and if you bumped them they would avoid you in the future. How did I never hear about these things?

It was a cult.

I'm almost serious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It was a cult.

I'm almost serious.

What killed them off? Oddly, there are some things in SL that I just can't understand, but I can really see why these would keep you glued to the screen. Probably a good thing I never encountered them.

• Like 2

Just now, Amina Sopwith said:

What killed them off? Oddly, there are some things in SL that I just can't understand, but I can really see why these would keep you glued to the screen. Probably a good thing I never encountered them.

I'm not sure. When I began my hiatus from SL, they were still a pretty big thing.

They were a lot of work, though. And they were also a continual drain: you had to buy the feed (as well as accessories, of course).

I would imagine that what finished them off finally was mesh? Or maybe the new LI system, because they must have been a drain on a sim's resources too.

• Like 3

Oct. 26th, 2006. 8 days earlier, Second Life registered its 1 millionth account. I saw a Reuters news video clip and decided to give it a try. They had a location in-world at the time.

This is going to sound like a rant on todays Second Life. Its not intended to be. I still love it, but the OP did bring back some very fond memories I have, besides my experiences running a business way earlier than I had business doing LOL (I'm back in business now):

Raiding freebies at New Citizens Incorporated

Spending EVERY Wednesday here on the forums because the grid was down for maintenance

Accidentally teleporting into somebody's house and making a friend, as Second Life was a community back then. Try doing that today and see how long before the security orb teleports you home, assuming there aren't ban lines preventing you from getting there in the first place. No I am not suggesting we all go invade homes. But in 2007 people didn't get uptight about it happening by mistake.

People actually logged in cause they liked being around other residents.

There were no cliques.

Businesses realized that their success was actually dependant, in large part, on the success of the industry as a whole. Clubs actually wanted other clubs to do well.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

Ghosting. When you'd crash, except your avatar would stay inworld and you couldn't log back in. If you had another account, you could go visit and say hello to your other self standing there.

You had to write a ticket and wait to get properly logged out, though there was a trick to use. It had something to do with the system checking something every 14 minutes or something strange like that.

Ghosting still happens every now and then.  I was watching the Moles building on Bellisseria a couple of weeks ago and I crashed - which in itself was odd because I almost never crash.  Anyway, I logged back on, logging to Home as my default, and then TP'd back to the area that I was in.  I had been flying around, so I only knew roughly where I was when I crashed.  When I got back to the general area and started camming around again, I actually saw myself in the next region, just hovering in the air.  I started flying to myself, but as I crossed into the region where my old self was, she poofed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Adam Spark said:

Oct. 26th, 2006. 8 days earlier, Second Life registered its 1 millionth account. I saw a Reuters news video clip and decided to give it a try. They had a location in-world at the time.

This is going to sound like a rant on todays Second Life. Its not intended to be. I still love it, but the OP did bring back some very fond memories I have, besides my experiences running a business way earlier than I had business doing LOL (I'm back in business now):

Raiding freebies at New Citizens Incorporated

Spending EVERY Wednesday here on the forums because the grid was down for maintenance

Accidentally teleporting into somebody's house and making a friend, as Second Life was a community back then. Try doing that today and see how long before the security orb teleports you home, assuming there aren't ban lines preventing you from getting there in the first place. No I am not suggesting we all go invade homes. But in 2007 people didn't get uptight about it happening by mistake.

People actually logged in cause they liked being around other residents.

There were no cliques.

Businesses realized that their success was actually dependant, in large part, on the success of the industry as a whole. Clubs actually wanted other clubs to do well.

And on the day that the millionth person registered there was a "1,000,000 superimposed across the moon and VERY visible in the night sky (before Windlight so likely a different moon).

I ended up meeting some folks at NCI that were fairly close inworld neighbors. There was a NCI "blue ball" that dispensed money daily to new folks (as long as old folks donated).  There were two main freebie  stores (this was pre Free Dove I think but maybe I just didn't know about it then).  

If you JUST teleported to a sim you ended up at 128 128 and whoever's house that was. NOT all that handy LOL.  

Guys wearing alphas and giant (GIANT) appendages would hang out and "grief" in the girls dressing room at NCI. They were hopefully only 12 year olds.  "I" (in another incarnation) was almost in the New York Times review on Second Life. I didn't want to give out my RL info and so was replaced and the article turned out to be awful IMO so it was a win-win. 

It WAS different then. Definitely not as pretty and I enjoy the pretty part and the Windlight(R) and all that we can do in the viewer now. But, opening day at Bellisseria was MUCH like "the old days" so I hope that some of the new folks got a taste of that surprise and camaraderie of long ago.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Ghosting still happens every now and then.  I was watching the Moles building on Bellisseria a couple of weeks ago and I crashed - which in itself was odd because I almost never crash.  Anyway, I logged back on, logging to Home as my default, and then TP'd back to the area that I was in.  I had been flying around, so I only knew roughly where I was when I crashed.  When I got back to the general area and started camming around again, I actually saw myself in the next region, just hovering in the air.  I started flying to myself, but as I crossed into the region where my old self was, she poofed.

Yes, the ghosting thing was fairly prevalent for many years. One time support somehow went in and "plucked" me out (their term if I remember correctly) from Babbage docks where I was just STUCK.   

Who knew there were so many memories hiding out in the recess of those neurons? 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

And on the day that the millionth person registered there was a "1,000,000 superimposed across the moon and VERY visible in the night sky (before Windlight so likely a different moon).

I find it hard to remember what happened when but that prompted me to look in my inventory for a necklace that I got to mark the day - it says 8th October 2006.  I'd take a photo but it doesn't fit me. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Wow this thread just caused me to reflect on 14 years on the grid. Yikes.

Way too many stories for one thread. Anyway, I remember how people used to talk about the W-Hat and Voted 5 goons like they were ISIS, when in reality they were mostly just a bunch of really smart, creative, and fun people. Remember megaprims and name2key?

The mass banning of W-Hat/Voted 5 people was rather sad, especially because it also meant the loss of many of their builds, which were often well-done and hilarious.

Oh... and remember when Second Life had actual supervillains?

Collections....waiting months for a store to release items, because it was prims and textures and to get something really creative took a lot of time and energy and patience, especially hair creation, it is still amazing the styles they created with prims. But the collections were noteworthy, so noteworthy that they also connected with Fashion Shows to launch them, some may remember the Digit Darkes Wicked collection based off of the Musical, the Digit Darkes Marie Antoinette Collection, the Paper Couture Collections, the Callie Cline Collections and Nyla Cheeky who not only created works in Second Life but also Real Life and hand beaded a dress for the Female Terminator to wear to Cannes. 

Protests....if someone did something wrong in Second life especially to the Fashion community there were literal protests, if a store was stealing it got picketed, I met Ashia that way at a store that was selling stolen Skins, for some reason the thief would only let myself and her past the picket line to talk to him, we talked him down he removed the skins but the sim was packed with angry people, it was AWESOME. The same with people doing things wrong in peoples stores, once it got through to people that cared, they would swoop down and take control until the owner could get in world and ban the guilty party, such things as rezzing fake vendors and so on, people would make sure no one fell victim until fixed.

In World Linden Help - Someone was doing something wrong, something terrible was happening you clicked a button got someone live in the viewer and next thing you knew a Linden was landing on your head and cleaned up the situation. I once was at a club where a girl was talking in open chat about being underage and everyone was trying to get her to close her account, the Linden swooped in and she was removed it was so cool :D

Stipend Releases - Leather, Lace, Black & Red ....it was pretty common for those that did release more frequently to release on Stipend Day, so people would wait until stipend day not only to get stipend but to make sure nothing else more exciting was released or they would have to wait until the following week. Savvy creators released items in the mentioned fabrics and colours as a must because most clubs that were either geared towards Vampires or Sex would have themed events that would give prizes, which were often lindens and then the circle of lindens life would continue as the money ended up being spent on more clothing to win more prizes.

Costumes - Also a HUGE thing, ballgowns and tuxes were popular but actual costumes were a big things, dressing up to be in theme was a huge attraction and some stores did very well just creating costumes based off of characters from fiction etc when Copyright and so on were a little bit more lax based on the mentality of Halloween being so normal for the US so no one really saw the harm in creating costumes.

Blogs and Magazines considered Press - We were press for Second Life, we covered events as in the annuals and things of importance, any of the few of us (Bloggers only numbered in the dozen or so back then) would log in to no less than 10 notecards a day from Designers, Fashion Show Coordinators, Store Management, Event Coordinators, Sim Owners and sometimes even people from outside of SL who had plans to launch something in-world.
Grazia Horwitz and I were the only two SL Press with the two dozen or so RL Press that attended the conference with Bruce Willis in world when launching the latest Die Hard film. He had been made an avatar and we all sat in a space and got to ask him questions while he was in an LA office somewhere really impressed with the whole concept. 

Bloggers or Writers for Magazines got wind of upcoming collections and relevant information well in advance of something hitting the shelves or becoming public and we were responsible for the spreading of that information so that on the day it was what would be now considered Viral, we reached tens of thousands of people per day. Magazine ownership was huge. 

RL crossovers -

Callie Cline being in Maxims top 100 best looking women list and what that did for SL at the time, she did tours for people that signed up through Maxim hundreds of people came to meet her and see SL. 
Gossip Girl Sims and the amount that came from that, the GossipGirls last name was everywhere and they were fun, they had a sorority girls like spirit and did everything in packs, best groups of customers you could hope for.
CSI featuring Second Life in an episode and then creating sims to interact on a CSI discovery was also huge, the day residents found out that they had their own gateway and their own library items made by top level SL creators was huge nearly everyone made alts I think Second Lifes numbers doubled in two days.
Grazia and I were featured with others in RL Belgium Elle Magazine. Digit had a collection featured in a Gallery in Italy. 
A Dutch TV Show featured designers from SL in a reality tv crossover event, this was when there was pretty much at that time only Big Brother as mentioned earlier, so reality TV was starting to become a phenom.
ETD got a contract with a RL Hair Products Brand Aveda to create styles using their colours and their style visions and then release them in SL under their branding in her store 

I could do this all day :P but I will leave some for others 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Like Emerald and RedZone? 😎

I'd forgotten about the Emerald Viewer.

I wasn't so big on the Woodbury U set, either, or their cozy sleazy relationship with the publisher of the late and unlamented Alphaville Herald.

But, yeah . . . RedZone's zFire was, to my mind anyway, the worst piece of garbage ever to litter our virtual streets.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Like Emerald and RedZone? 😎

Good pulls, but I was thinking more like Prok, Anshe, and that guy with the inexplicable beef against Stroker Serpentine (wish I could remember his name, it was really ugly... dang I am remembering some other really ugly drama now, but it's probably best that I suck at name recall).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wildefire Walcott said:

Good pulls, but I was thinking more like Prok, Anshe, and that guy with the inexplicable beef against Stroker Serpentine (wish I could remember his name, it was really ugly... dang I am remembering some other really ugly drama now, but it's probably best that I suck at name recall).

hee hee that just made me giggle remembering FIC stuff, the more it was shaking fist at the sky the more people were curious what was going on, it was like being told who was noteworthy by saying who didn't deserve the attention. Funny thing happened with one of the Viewer updates back in the day, some group tags ended up with FIC on them for a split second but just enough time to go OMG It is true lol.

The Stroker stuff was epic also, theres another RL crossover him on that show Taboo. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

When you'd crash, except your avatar would stay inworld and you couldn't log back in. If you had another account, you could go visit and say hello to your other self standing there.

This happened to me a few times.  I never knew there was a name for it though. 

I personally used to thoroughly enjoy the shoe up the butt syndrome that would happen every so often.  You'd just have to relog for the shoe to return to its proper place on your foot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can't believe all I am remembering (and never KNEW - and sometimes still don't understand) from this thread. So fun. 

Something someone wrote got me thinking about The Black Swan - one of the first big fashion events -- that sticks in my mind anyway.

This was an elaborate  build with the entrance mostly plain white prims (again if I am remembering correctly) that lead into a dark build and there was fire and lots of blackness --  and it was VERY ARTY for the time.  There was also a large dead black swan in there  somewhere -- I think it was stretched out on the all white entrance floor maybe with some blood. 

I looked the production up in my blog and it was September for 2008.  Here is a quote from the beginning of that post.

"Passions of the Black Swan has some lovely designs. The sim was dressed to the max with a velvet black night -- fire and particles ablaze. That and 80 plus participants, many wearing prims in the hundreds, made it difficult on many levels. This is not unusual in fashion shows; if you've been, you know."

I was given this dress WHILE there and hurriedly took some photos. So much excitement back then. 

image.thumb.png.03c507c19d984babc65b4e64bf0ef06f.png

And yes, we WERE treated special back then as bloggers.  And we WERE special :D.  

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.