Seams in mesh after upload but not in blender.

Altier Verwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello there, so I have exhausted all options at this point. I am trying to upload a new head for my body im making, but the problem is, in blender, there are no problems, the rig and weight are perfect there is no seam what so ever. but when I upload it to sl there are small ugly seams between the divided mesh!

I have no problem with the issue is my fault but this is jsut bs, I have no idea why it's doing this it looks perfect in blender and the importer, but in sl there is ugly seams.

https://i.gyazo.com/0d35dc8c66487664f9e3c32d70aafec7.gif

That is how it looks in blender, perfect rig!

but in sl! it looks like this!

https://i.gyazo.com/a914f324e2c5f78ff75b0fab69b3fb7d.png

WHY?! I don't understand I have done everything perfectly but there is still this ugly seam, I even tried to join the mesh then unjoin it, but nothing NOTHING works.

can someone explain how to make it seamless?

In the second pic, it looks like you are on skybox or build platform.

It is important to note that, for some odd reason which I don't understand, (rigged?) mesh attachments tend to deform in horrible and ugly ways. This is sometimes already noticeable at 2,000m height and only gets worse the higher you go. (Try teleporting to 8000m, just for fun)

My point is that perhaps you should look at the seam when you are at ground level instead of whichever height your pad/skybox is at.

• Thanks 1

Two possibilities:

1. Are both halves yours? If not it is possible that what you where given is (un)intentionally inaccurate.
  2. How high are you, at high altitude floating point error accumulates and vertex positions become inaccurate.
Edited by Kyrah Abattoir

Wow that is a lot of replies. I was not expecting that. the issue is I have another pieces that is cut from the same mesh, my arms and legs and uhm..other parts *(cough* are all separate pieces aswell and they look just fine at 2000 meters, this head I attached is from another mesh, I joined mesh removed doubles to ensure the weights and movement are the same in blender and then separated them by vertex to make a clean line. everything works in blender it's all the same, the moment i upload it to sl it creates that strange seam.

I can 100% say it is not a texture issue, it is defiantly the mesh creating small partitions in the mesh.

Edited by Altier Verwood

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

It is a known bug.

It is a known bug BUT it obviously doesn't happen all the time.  I don't have any seams gap between my Maitreya body and my Lelutka  head. My alts don't have seams in their eBody  or Altamura bodies and heads. So there must be a method to fix this. It seems odd that it is ONLY the neck seam with the issue.  

This isn't my area but it seems like smarter folks than I have mentioned reversed normals (not faces but vertexes) can cause this issue. I thought someone would pipe into this thread and give an explanation but the OP might want to do a search of the forums with things like "neck searm" and "reverse normal vertex" or whatever.  @Altier Verwood

That's all I got.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

This isn't my area but it seems like smarter folks than I have mentioned reversed normals (not faces but vertexes) can cause this issue. I thought someone would pipe into this thread and give an explanation but the OP might want to do a search of the forums with things like "neck searm" and "reverse normal vertex" or whatever.  @Altier Verwood

Interesting. I missed reading that!

So I checked through the normals, and there are no problems with them, they are all directed the same way soooo still not sure what it could be -_- I feel like this is a bug so bad that LL should get off their butt and fix it as soon as possible, but I'm seing posts from 2017! talking about this bug.

As CoffeeDujour mentioned, this is inherent to floating point numbers.

The problem is that the two points are rounded at a different location because within your data, they are NOT at the same location once you factor in errors.

One way to mitigate this that i can think of is to force both objects to share the share an identical bounding box, because while it won't solve the issue, it will make both objects more likely to error at the same time.

Not sure how to explain it better.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 12:13 PM, Chic Aeon said:

It is a known bug BUT it obviously doesn't happen all the time.  I don't have any seams gap between my Maitreya body and my Lelutka  head.

That's only because you don't go high enough. Try 60,000 m up in the air. ;)

Never mind, it didn't work. still stuck the seam was gone for a bit but came back in the next upload. something else is at play here.

Maximo could you detail your process very clearly to get rid of the seam? in the other thread you used skyrim as an example and SL is as far from skyrim rendering engine as the dark side of Europa is to my butt.

Edited by Altier Verwood

11 hours ago, Altier Verwood said:

Maximo could you detail your process very clearly to get rid of the seam? in the other thread you used skyrim as an example and SL is as far from skyrim rendering engine as the dark side of Europa is to my butt.

I guess you're referring to Jupiter's moon XD

Alright, in that thread it's explained above the post the link leads to, but in a nutshell (using Blender nomenclatures along with Maya's):

When you're done with rigging and the parts you've split it into work as intended, since Bento was introduced you should remove the unused influences/vertex groups.

After you're done the removal, the edge seams are going to appear if you upload the meshes. To avoid this, make sure to add at least one bone/joint from the upper hierarchy back to the list of bones/joints in the vertex groups/skin cluster. Example with the head: the head includes weights from neck down to the face bones/joints but it doesn't include the Chest anymore; add the Chest back as vertex group/skin cluster with no weights. Do the same for each part that shows edge seams, like the hands.

This is due to the floating point range error accumulation, which this method "strengthen" by providing a reference to a joint that is in use in an adjacent mesh, therefore taking advantage of position inheritance instead of raw calculations to determine the position of that specific mesh part in relation to the skeleton.

The famous avatar bodies were created before Bento launched, and at that time one of the requirements was that, regardless of whether they were used or not, all joints needed to be in the list of vertex groups and therefore those didn't suffer of this issue

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.