Making a wall for my new house

alaska87

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 hours ago, WillowTenage said:

I have a texture I made in gimp, that anyone is welcome to.  

Here it is, you may have to squint to see it :)  Just save the below image.

Use it all ya want, here is how it looks compared to the real texture in my house.

(the prim is a light source)

Here is the baseboard

It is not a perfect match, but it works for me.  It can hold some of you over till you find something better.  You have to play around with the scale to get it to look okay.

Thank you so much, I'm gonna try this texture. It looks way better than my solution lol.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WillowTenage said:

If you change it to prim, that rectangle vanishes, same with "none".  I think, although am not certain, none uses less LI than prim.   That is complete speculation on my part though, I could be completely wrong here.

What about the option of making it phantom?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

What about the option of making it phantom?

'Phantom' makes the entire linkset phantom (although there are child-prim phantom scripts). A physics shape of 'none' is the new way to go, and often saves significantly on LI. :)

• Thanks 3

59 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

'Phantom' makes the entire linkset phantom (although there are child-prim phantom scripts). A physics shape of 'none' is the new way to go, and often saves significantly on LI. :)

I really need to try that trick sometime. I always use the "make it all CH then link" trick (when it doesn't backfire), but saving even more LI would be great. Especially in my restaurants where I want loads of little details (....like food lol).

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I really need to try that trick sometime. I always use the "make it all CH then link" trick (when it doesn't backfire), but saving even more LI would be great. Especially in my restaurants where I want loads of little details (....like food lol).

I have found that for those times where the 'change to convex hull' makes the LI jump, if you then change over to 'None', sometimes it will then drop the LI back down.  Not always, but sometimes. 

Also, Chic mentioned that when changing to 'None', you want the root prim to be a pretty simplistic prim and I have found that to be true more times than not.  Sometimes it doesn't seem to matter, but other times, the LI only drops when I follow this advice.  Likely because the root itself can not actually change to None, so if the root is something complex, we need it to change to None in order to get the LI drop and the only way is if it is not the root prim.  Add a prim, if necessary or change which one is root -- being careful about scripted items.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Oftentimes, you really have no choice. Look at the following image, if you will. Everyone of those tiny floating boxes is an invisible light source (and that's just for one linkset). They're all set to 'None'. Otherwise I'd seriously bump into everything, and walking would be impossible. 😜

kira_9.thumb.jpg.56cdb963f4597bb7e7de2d6ba2b46201.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I have found that for those times where the 'change to convex hull' makes the LI jump, if you then change over to 'None', sometimes it will then drop the LI back down.  Not always, but sometimes. 

Also, Chic mentioned that when changing to 'None', you want the root prim to be a pretty simplistic prim and I have found that to be true more times than not.  Sometimes it doesn't seem to matter, but other times, the LI only drops when I follow this advice.  Likely because the root itself can not actually change to None, so if the root is something complex, we need it to change to None in order to get the LI drop and the only way is if it is not the root prim.  Add a prim, if necessary or change which one is root -- being careful about scripted items.  

Sound advice from both you and Chic. :)

Generally, you want the root prim to be as simple as possible, even if you aren't going to use 'None'. I've have had like tyre seats, with complex shaped prims for root (the seat). In those cases, you're often better off, LI-wise,. just copying the seat scripts/anims over to a simple (tiny) prim, set said prim to the same rotation and position as the original root, and make the new prim root (provided the scripts in the seat are not link-dependent, of course). And then, with a little luck, you can set the original root to 'none', and indeed shave off some more LI. :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

23 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Sound advice from both you and Chic. :)

Generally, you want the root prim to be as simple as possible, even if you aren't going to use 'None'. I've have had like tyre seats, with complex shaped prims for root (the seat). In those cases, you're often better off, LI-wise,. just copying the seat scripts/anims over to a simple (tiny) prim, set said prim to the same rotation and position as the original root, and make the new prim root (provided the scripts in the seat are not link-dependent, of course). And then, with a little luck, you can set the original root to 'none', and indeed shave off some more LI. :)

Thank you both, I changed the root and those 2 LI spent on the arch vanished :D

One thing I noticed in my pictures, was that while the LI changed for my linkset it did not change my remaining capacity, which was 38 either way.  Is this a possible bug? 

Also a word of caution to some people.  Sometimes it is best to play around with linksets in a sandbox, I've had some objects shoot up to hundreds of LI - I'm not sure if it is just a bug in Firestorm, or really an accurate representation of LI being used.  This usually happens when I change from convex hull to prim a few times, and it can reach outrageous levels 🤯

Here is a clone I made of the SR-720h I created, the original which is awesome is available for free on the marketplace.

969079893_Snapshot_1106(2).thumb.png.4760e66e4f76d01d06419a37d7a2b551.png

In the above, it is only 24 for LI, but after I play around with physics it shoots up a lot.

1093537236_Snapshot_1107(2).thumb.png.ab1a5ca3725be73c9d3c6b3ead372440.png

The remaining capacity stays the same though 😕  When I put a flight script in it, it will not work like this though, so I am guessing it really did shoot up to 103.

Edited by WillowTenage
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, WillowTenage said:

One thing I noticed in my pictures, was that while the LI changed for my linkset it did not change my remaining capacity, which was 38 either way.  Is this a possible bug? 

Maybe - Did you check the Objects tab of the Land windows.

I know that the Edit windows sometimes doesn't update right away.  For example, if you try changing some regular prim linkset to convex hull and the LI goes up, so you then change it back to Prim, it sometimes doesn't show the LI going back to the original value.  However, if you exit the Edit window on the item and then go back, it will have updated the LI correctly.  Maybe similar with the remaining capacity????

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I know that the Edit windows sometimes doesn't update right away.  For example, if you try changing some regular prim linkset to convex hull and the LI goes up, so you then change it back to Prim, it sometimes doesn't show the LI going back to the original value.  However, if you exit the Edit window on the item and then go back, it will have updated the LI correctly.

That's a good idea.  I just tried it, and the land tab does show 103, and when exiting out of the edit window and reopening it displayed the correct remaining capacity.  

29 minutes ago, WillowTenage said:

Also a word of caution to some people.  Sometimes it is best to play around with linksets in a sandbox, I've had some objects shoot up to hundreds of LI - I'm not sure if it is just a bug in Firestorm, or really an accurate representation of LI being used.  This usually happens when I change from convex hull to prim a few times, and it can reach outrageous levels 🤯

Thank for you those illustrative images. :) 

Oh, LI can really shoot up dramatically, like you say, when you do the wrong conversion. :) And sometimes the system is just outright bugged. Take this infamous 1 LI teleport pad I have:

kira_10.thumb.jpg.07483bd073789074ba59b6203bc8d98f.jpg

And now watch LI shoot up to a whopping 179 (!) LI,  merely for enabling specular lighting on that white facing.

kira_11.thumb.jpg.620f583697f429afc3580f80760c6ca0.jpg

That's quite the bug. 😜

Edited by kiramanell
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Oh, LI can really shoot up dramatically, like you say, when you do the wrong conversion. :) And sometimes the system is just outright bugged. Take this infamous 1 LI teleport pad I have:

And now watch LI shoot up to a whopping 179 (!) LI,  merely for enabling specular lighting on that white facing.

That's quite the bug. 😜

😲 That is crazy!  I'm going to have to be careful with the stuff I click 🤣 I didn't even know that changing specular lighting would increase LI, that is kind of shocking. 

Edited by WillowTenage
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I know that the Edit windows sometimes doesn't update right away.  For example, if you try changing some regular prim linkset to convex hull and the LI goes up, so you then change it back to Prim, it sometimes doesn't show the LI going back to the original value.  However, if you exit the Edit window on the item and then go back, it will have updated the LI correctly.  Maybe similar with the remaining capacity????

Yes, edit doesn't always react immediately. In this case, I never know whether it's not maybe the server needing time to adjust the land impact. Like when I put in a script that distributes itself over every child-prim, to remove all scripts from an object, for instance. LI will then have shot up for said object, until you did a 'run all scripts', and the object is empty again. Even leaving editing mode, and re-editing a bit later, it may sometimes take up to like 30 secs for LI to have gone down again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WillowTenage said:

😲 That is crazy!  I'm going to have to be careful with the stuff I click 🤣 I didn't even know that changing specular lighting would increase LI, that is kind of shocking. 

It normally shouldn't. :) Or if it does, maybe only by 1 LI or so. This is clearly a bug. That TP pad is actually a regular, albeit heavily tortured prim. Could be its complex nature causes an internal magnification/multiplication of LI, when using specular lighting, that just goes thru the roof. Some sanity checks would be good, in case like this. 😜

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kiramanell said:

That's quite the bug. 😜

Wow!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.