Making a wall for my new house

alaska87

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, alaska87 said:

Sadly those are not transfer. I guess it's so non premium member won't get their hands on them? Why else would they not be trans?

Thank you! I think it looks pretty good (besides the texture obviously lol).

Why, I was surprised they even gave us the textures full-perm. :) 

1 minute ago, kiramanell said:

Textures are never fullbright by themselves: it's the prim/mesh face a texture is on which determines whether it will be fullbright or not.

Correct; I was distinguishing it from the wall.  House vs wall. If one was full-bright it might explain the discrepancy and sadly it does not. Worth a try.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alaska87 said:

Last update! I used the house texture in white to get a woodish texture and used the same on the base boards so it looks sort of good. I am pleased for now, until I can get an actual texture.

Snapshot_533 (kopia).png

Hmm -- I normally never do this -- but I'm not entirely sure I would have done that myself, tbh. I kinda like the original texture on the base boards. :) Besides, door post and base boards are thematically different things. Were it me, I would likely have kept the base board texturing, and then have gone with a dark-ish wood door post. But I'm by no means an expert. :) 

9 minutes ago, Clarrellae said:

Correct; I was distinguishing it from the wall.  House vs wall. If one was full-bright it might explain the discrepancy and sadly it does not. Worth a try.

I see. Good thing Linden doesn't deliver fullbright homes any more (not even sure they ever did). But yeah, these Bellisseria homes must look good at night too, of course; can't have 'em fullbright. :)

14 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Hmm -- I normally never do this -- but I'm not entirely sure I would have done that myself, tbh. I kinda like the original texture on the base boards. :) Besides, door post and base boards are thematically different things. Were it me, I would likely have kept the base board texturing, and then have gone with a dark-ish wood door post. But I'm by no means an expert. :) 

I might change it in the future but for now it will do. I don't wanna spend too much time on it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alaska87 said:

Sadly those are not transfer. I guess it's so non premium member won't get their hands on them? Why else would they not be trans?

Thank you! I think it looks pretty good (besides the texture obviously lol).

So builders can't use them and sell them :D.  

I have a texture I made in gimp, that anyone is welcome to.  

Here it is, you may have to squint to see it :)  Just save the below image.

1167933611_Whitewoodgrain.png.12aa643517ee04b2022b022fdb6bdcd9.png

Use it all ya want, here is how it looks compared to the real texture in my house.

Snapshot_1099.thumb.png.6bb2398fd9a0269040e42e11165124e8.png

(the prim is a light source)

Here is the baseboard

Snapshot_1100.thumb.png.7e8a107e59c2ae23ee0d89181666ba70.png

It is not a perfect match, but it works for me.  It can hold some of you over till you find something better.  You have to play around with the scale to get it to look okay.

Edited by WillowTenage
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

12 minutes ago, WillowTenage said:

I have a texture I made in gimp, that anyone is welcome to.  

Here it is, you may have to squint to see it :)  Just save the below image.

1167933611_Whitewoodgrain.png.12aa643517ee04b2022b022fdb6bdcd9.png

Use it all ya want, here is how it looks compared to the real texture in my house.

Snapshot_1099.thumb.png.6bb2398fd9a0269040e42e11165124e8.png

(the prim is a light source)

Here is the baseboard

Snapshot_1100.thumb.png.7e8a107e59c2ae23ee0d89181666ba70.png

It is not a perfect match, but it works for me.  It can hold some of you over till you find something better.  You have to play around with the scale to get it to look okay.

Im going to assume you put that texture on a brown box which would make the colors not match. Change the box to solid white.

Just now, Kaylee Romano said:

Im going to assume you put that texture on a brown box which would make the colors not match. Change the box to solid white.

The box is a light source, the boards are white, mine are the ones on the left and Linden's are on the right. 

• Like 2

Another thing to consider, if you are trying to save on LI is you can just use a prim, and make it wide enough to fit through both sides of the wall and the end, you will save a lot doing it this way :)

Snapshot_1102.thumb.png.554740c5b9a09945404138f25bb060e3.png

Snapshot_1101.thumb.png.fe87191d7f588cce60de6f456ed0d119.png

Link all of your box prims, with the physics type of "convex" and that will save you a few LI's as well :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, WillowTenage said:

Link all of your box prims, with the physics type of "convex" and that will save you a few LI's as well :) 

Very true although be careful of Hollow prims that you may need to walk or move through... Convex hulls are great except when say you are using a hollowed out box prim as s door frame for example... a convex hull wont read that hollow as a physical hole so you wont be able to walk through it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Evangeline Ling said:

Very true although be careful of Hollow prims that you may need to walk or move through... Convex hulls are great except when say you are using a hollowed out box prim as s door frame for example... a convex hull wont read that hollow as a physical hole so you wont be able to walk through it.

Yep, hollow prims don't do very well with convex hulls.  I often set them to "none", so long as they do not have any structural properties that make it unrealistic.  Things such as arches above the head level, where people would not normally pass through.  

1913457718_Snapshot_1104(2).thumb.png.3642193321e27a37458360069c9ac37e.png

For those keeping up with this thread, you'll notice in Firestorm there is a little eyeball next to the Physics shape type, if you hit it you will see the physics involved, and will see there is a little rectangle in purple that would prevent you from passing.  If you change it to prim, that rectangle vanishes, same with "none".  I think, although am not certain, none uses less LI than prim.   That is complete speculation on my part though, I could be completely wrong here.

610619055_Snapshot_1105(2).thumb.png.ab48ca6ed44136d9267b8b0fa9c204d0.png

That is much better :)  The rectangle is gone, and people may pass through with no problems :) Well, besides whatever horrors may exist beyond that arch!  Notice how the LI has gone up by two though?  That arch cost me 2 LI!   I might just take it out in favor of a regular box later on.  

Edited by WillowTenage
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, MirandaBowers said:

@WillowTenage Very helpful information! Thank you for that detailed post with the photos.

You're welcome,  I just hope I have not made too many mistakes in my posts.  There are a lot of people who are far more experienced and knowledgeable than me, these are just things I have noticed while goofing around. I have a bad habit of clicking things to see what they do 🤣  Sometimes I learn a new thing or two, while clicking them though.  God forbid, if there were ever a big red shiny button placed in front of me, the fate of the world may hang in the balance :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WillowTenage said:

You're welcome,  I just hope I have not made too many mistakes in my posts.  There are a lot of people who are far more experienced and knowledgeable than me, these are just things I have noticed while goofing around. I have a bad habit of clicking things to see what they do 🤣  Sometimes I learn a new thing or two, while clicking them though.  God forbid, if there were ever a big red shiny button placed in front of me, the fate of the world may hang in the balance :)

Your contribution to this forum, as always, was a joy to read. :) And very instructive images of that arch! In your case, setting it to 'prim' would keep the exact hole, of course; but I mostly do it exactly like you: just set to 'none'. The inner walls of the Wallover addon, for instance, suffer from the same convex hull issue: if you don't link it to your build as 'none', then all the segments that come with alcoves will essentially be inaccessible (not just the window frames, btw). And wonderful job on that base board texture! :) 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.