Making a wall for my new house

alaska87

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wanted to create a wall in my new house (Winchester) to get so extra space and while the items in the texture pack from the mailbox. But I have a problem that I don't know how to solve... The base boards have gaps in the ends and it just looks really weird. 

I would love any kind of tips on this.

Ps. The colors are not 100% the same for some reason but that I can live with.

Snapshot_530 (kopia).png

Edited by alaska87
new info :D

I would suggest just using a regular prim to make it so you can cap the end like you want. 

I don't have an exact match for texture, but it comes close with a bit of stretching. If you want it, send me an IM in world and I will pass it along to you when I am back at my computer (afk atm getting dinner stuffs started)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, alaska87 said:

I wanted to create a wall in my new house (Winchester) to get so extra space and while the items in the texture pack from the mailbox. But I have a problem that I don't know how to solve... The base boards have gaps in the ends and it just looks really weird. 

I would love any kind of tips on this.

Ps. The colors are not 100% the same for some reason but that I can live with.

Snapshot_530 (kopia).png

I'm guessing then that all of the other walls end against another wall or have an actual door frame to cover that spot.  

As to the wall color difference, that is very likely just a lighting thing - assuming you are using the actual textures.  Though I vaguely remember something about textures looking just slightly different on regular prims versus mesh -- and I could totally be wrong on that because I am not a builder, but a tinkerer.

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm guessing then that all of the other walls end against another wall or have an actual door frame to cover that spot.  

As to the wall color difference, that is very likely just a lighting thing - assuming you are using the actual textures.  Though I vaguely remember something about textures looking just slightly different on regular prims versus mesh -- and I could totally be wrong on that because I am not a builder, but a tinkerer.

The actual house walls do have door frames so they don't have that problem.

I hadn't even noticed that the wall had a slightly different color, I was too focused on the base boards. I'm not a builder either (obviously) but I think you'd might be right about the mesh vs prim. But like I said, that is not a big issue.

7 minutes ago, Zoya McDonnagh said:

I would suggest just using a regular prim to make it so you can cap the end like you want. 

I don't have an exact match for texture, but it comes close with a bit of stretching. If you want it, send me an IM in world and I will pass it along to you when I am back at my computer (afk atm getting dinner stuffs started)

This is why I asked here, I didn't even think to try with a prim. :D

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Zoya McDonnagh said:

Yeah, don't ya hate it when a mesh face is missing? (Or simply not implemented). No way around that, but to cap it, like you said (but tricky to fill it up precisely, as there's a rounding too).

My advice would be to just end these wall segment with an entire, vertical 'door' post, that goes all the way up. It's rather unnatural for walls that thin to just end like that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marianne Little said:

I think a door frame would be best. It is some free and cheap ones on the marketplace. I wish LL included the white baseboard color in the texture pack, so we could texture prims and door frames.

Can we have it, @Patch Linden? Please? 🙏

I agree, it would be logical to have it with the rest of the textures in the pack. Including the base boards was a nice gesture though.

2 minutes ago, alaska87 said:

The top of the base boards is rounded so it's impossible to make it seamless. 🤔

Nothing is impossible. :) You can, for instance, use a sideways flattened cylinder, stretched vertically to get the right curvature, plus a regular rectangle. Not all that hard, just a bit tedious. 

2 minutes ago, alaska87 said:

The top of the base boards is rounded so it's impossible to make it seamless. 🤔

I sit here and look at my RL doors, and it's not seamless. The RL door trim, or frame, is a bit thicker that the baseboards. The door trim also has a profile, while the baseboard has a rounder top. This house is built in 1963 and has all sort of oddities.

I would make the frame slightly thicker in your wall, and use the baseboard. But that's just me.

27 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Nothing is impossible. :) You can, for instance, use a sideways flattened cylinder, stretched vertically to get the right curvature, plus a regular rectangle. Not all that hard, just a bit tedious. 

I will give that a chance, tedious I can do.

3 minutes ago, alaska87 said:

I will give that a chance, tedious I can do.

I don't have a traditonal home to test it with (only a houseboat); otherwise I'd just make it for you. :)

EDIT: Like I said, those, those spare walls look too thin, really (compared to, say, the width of the window frame). I would make them double-sided, for one (one for the opposite side too), and about as thick as the window frame; and then with vertical end-posts. Will probably look better, and is, for certain, a lot easier to do. :)

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Actually there IS some difference between the textures in the pack and the ones on the houses. I am guessing because of baking? I tweaked the one on my house to match exactly (well much closer anyway) and you can do that if you are good with a graphics program (and are picky LOL).  It isn't a big difference and doesn't show up on most colors, but did on moss.    

4 minutes ago, alaska87 said:

I would not say no to that! :)

I don't think I can get a traditional home builders pack, from Linden, until I actually have such a home. But you could meet me in a rez-area somewhere (like the BB sim), rez one of those walls, and I'll make the perfect end-cap for you. :)

• Like 1

Just now, kiramanell said:

I don't think I can get a traditional home builders pack, from Linden, until I actually have such a home. But you could meet me in a rez-area somewhere (like the BB sim), rez one of those walls, and I'll make the perfect end-cap for you. :)

I asked about that earlier and got an official answer from Abnor Mole that it was fine to pass the textures along to people that didn't have a home.  I had a friend that wanted them and I wanted to make sure that was OK. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Chic Aeon said:

Actually there IS some difference between the textures in the pack and the ones on the houses. I am guessing because of baking? I tweaked the one on my house to match exactly (well much closer anyway) and you can do that if you are good with a graphics program (and are picky LOL).  It isn't a big difference and doesn't show up on most colors, but did on moss.    

There's no reason a texture on mesh would need to look different on mesh than on a prim (in fact, even on my Windlass, I did some planar texturing on a mesh and prim surface together, and that's as seamless as ever). However, the textures actually on the homes themselves may, indeed, look different; and primarily indeed because of ambient occlusion ('baking').

3 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I asked about that earlier and got an official answer from Abnor Mole that it was fine to pass the textures along to people that didn't have a home.  I had a friend that wanted them and I wanted to make sure that was OK. 

Thanks. I was more thinking about getting my hands of one of those wall segments (assuming those aren't 'transfer'), to measure an exact end-cap for it.

3 minutes ago, Kaylee Romano said:

I just put a small piece of baseboard on the end, like a cap, to cover the transparent area.

Snapshot_018.png

Hehe, you cheated on the rounding. 😋 (Yes, I can tell). But no one is as insanely OCD as me to notice. 😁

3 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Thanks. I was more thinking about getting my hands of one of those wall segments (assuming those aren't 'transfer'), to measure an exact end-cap for it.

Sadly those are not transfer. I guess it's so non premium member won't get their hands on them? Why else would they not be trans?

Thank you! I think it looks pretty good (besides the texture obviously lol).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.