Posted (edited)

Hey everyone. I recently got wind of the shiny 3D mouse to help with camera smoothing. I thought it would be a simple plug & play, but as I've been reading... there seems to be numerous work arounds for it to be compatible with SL/Firestorm viewers. 

I've read though(though at this point it's 3 years dated): http://blog.nalates.net/2016/09/07/spacenavigator-windows-10-and-second-life/

Discovered: http://spacenav.sourceforge.net/

and am still unsure if the steps in the blog will work for the updated drivers. Instead of "<Transport>KMJ</Transport>" & "<InheritsFrom>STR_[something]</InheritsFrom>", the XML file only has, "<InheritsFrom>STR_DEFAULT_KMJ</InheritsFrom>" so I'm wondering how I'm supposed to change this, if this indeed will get it working?

In lieu of using the blog's steps, do I download the alternate driver and remove the standard driver or is this primarily designed for Linux users?

Steps taken: Installed drivers, restarted, opened Firestorm, enabled Flycam and the Joystick, and checked to make sure the properties panel of the mouse recognizes Firestorm (it does). With Flycam disabled I'm able to zoom in and out, but no other direction (even though they're checked in the properties panel), however nothing happens when it is enabled.

I'm using Win7 64.

Edited by duLuna Bosatsu

The SL viewer has direct support for the Space Navigator and has since like version 1.23. You don't need the 3dx drivers at all if you aren't using it with any other software. The one thing that could be interfering is if you have any other input device that claims to be a joystick. I had to actually disable the driver for that on my g-13 keypad. I've been using mine for like 6 years with no issues at all and am currently also using Win 7 64bit. IM me inworld if you want. Just be warned, once you start using it to control your camera you'll never be able to stand the standard camera controls again.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

haha, that's exactly what I want, Crim! Not to use the standard controls again! I actually reached out to 3D Connexion and they said they stopped offering support for Second Life since LL failed getting back to them in a timely manner. So I sent a ticket to LL and am still waiting for a reply. I do have a gaming keyboard... I don't think it's being read as a joystick though. How would I know if it is? I'll uninstall the drivers and see if it works like that

*edit: GASP! That worked! DDD: I'm /so/ happy!! It's better/funner  than I thought it would be!!! I'm flying around Hangars Liquides - one of the more amazing places to be experimenting with this thing. holy fk.

Teach me senpai lol Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity or lock on to an avatar so I can spin the camera around them?

Edited by duLuna Bosatsu

On 7/5/2019 at 8:31 AM, duLuna Bosatsu said:

*edit: GASP! That worked! DDD: I'm /so/ happy!! It's better/funner  than I thought it would be!!! I'm flying around Hangars Liquides - one of the more amazing places to be experimenting with this thing. holy fk.

Teach me senpai lol Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity or lock on to an avatar so I can spin the camera around them?

You can adjust the sensitivity in the joystick settings, but they are actually set to reasonable levels once you get used to the controller. You are probably applying far more force than you need to. It takes a little practice and then you won't even be thinking about it, the camera will just go where you want it to. Once you get used to it, you should be able to circle pan around an AV or anything else smoothly. As far as I know there isn't a 'lock to AV' feature available.

one thing if you want to get smooth slow pans (assuming lag don't get you) is to seet the "feathering" super low., like .005 or so  and then lower the thrusts from the default 2 to something much lower. Of course if you want crazy fast cam movements then u just have to practice getting the feel of the mouse