Sculpting on a Mac: Help needed

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have recently decided that I would like to pursue content creation on SL. I have been working with basic primitives for a a few months or so and I'd like to make the jump to sculpting. The problem is that I don't know how. I did a bit of searching on Google but there are little to no instructions on how to sculpt and texture sculpts on Mac OS X. Most of the programs I have found are Windows OS only. While I did find some Mac friendly programs, I could find no detailed tutorials for them. Does anybody know any decent programs for sculpting and texturing that can be used on Mac OS X? Tutorials would also be greatly appreciated. The programs must be free due to my financial limitations. Thank you for taking the time to help me out, your aid is greatly appreciated!

- Yours truly, Tokyo Garaguru

Sculpting on a Mac is just as easy as on a PC or even easier :D There is a great inWorld sculpting tool called Sculpt Studio it is a little pricy on Lindens and since you said you were limited on funds then Blender is the way to go. It is a little difficult to get the free version installed on a mac but there is good help on how to get it done.

Here is a link to the Machinimatrix site which is a great resource for not only installing the program but also using from a beginner stand point all the way to advanced, I've linked you to the tutorials but if you just go to the home page you will find the downloads for install:

http://blog.machinimatrix.org/3d-creation/video-tutorials/

And here is a link that will help you get it installed when you are having problems, this link is also good resource for blender as well but I feel you should start with Machinimatrix:

http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=70779&sid=c8ccd843623ce74c5aab27a930cd8952

If you need further assistance don't hesitate to contact me I would be glad to help get you started with blender on your Mac :D

Hope this helps with getting you started in the wonderful world of sculpting :D guY

• Like 2

guY already mentioned it, but I'll add my voice to it. It does not really matter whether you are on a Mac or a PC. The procedures are the same. A few keypresses might be different, but in general, a tutorial on a subject is usually perfectly possible to follow on a Mac and a PC (and probably also on Linux). In many cases, the consepts even spans software, so what is a tutorial for Maya might very well be useful for someone working in Blender. Find what you want to learn, then find a tutorial. No point in limiting your search to Mac only tutorials.

Btw. Blender is a very capable, and very cheap, program that works very well on a Mac. Check the links guY posted to find out more.

Oh, and for textureing. A tutorial for Photoshop might very well be usable if you use Pixelmator (Mac only) or another image program. Again, PC or Mac does not matter.

- Luc -

• 1 month later...

You don't need any other programs but the ones mentioned.

However, I started making sculpts (on my Mac) with the free version of Rokuro, which takes about 5 min to learn (vs 5 years for Blender if you are like me). You can only make limited things with it, but it is satisfying to be able to make something right off the bat.

I also use Blender now, and have used Sculpt Studio and other things, but those have quite a learning curve.

• 3 months later...

Isn't Rokuro PC only? Were you in parallels or a terminal or vmware or something? I'm looking for a mac version or comparable to Rokuro. Blender is a beautiful program but not a starter. It's horribly confusing and dense. I've started to back up and get more basic in my sculpts. 

Would love to know if Rokuro has a Mac version I missed.

Dharma

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.