The New LH Release Plan - Your Thoughts

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

With absolutely nothing to back it up, it feels like this gives the average user (provided they can get on during LL business hours) a better chance at "prime" locations in any given region. Obviously there will still be people listening with alts looking to upgrade when regions are dropped but it won't be a horde of them (us) churning through 5 houses per alt seeking the absolute top tier location. You have 30 seconds. Whoever happens to get the best (for whatever personal definition of best) lot..gets it. This is not meant as a judgment on anyone with alts and multiple homes. I have my alts, I've churned through my share of Bellisseria homes. 

• Like 4

I put this on another thread but i guess it really applies here too...

Normally, when you make a change in IT you do it when everyone is available that might be needed in case it goes wrong.  Hence maintenance windows.  Obviously this isn't going to happen during a maintenance window but the middle of the work day for the Lindens makes the most sense.  We have seen that in the past with releases if I am not mistaken.  I think that last night's time was an anomaly and only that late because they were waiting until after the talk with Patch.   No one wants to do a major release or change then run out the door only to get called back or to be stuck in traffic and unable to mitigate the issue you got paged for until you drag your butt thru traffic.  Just a guess based on experience with change management in IT, not based on something I read.  As I am still waiting for a house, I will be watching closely with everyone else to see if there is a pattern to the time of releases.

• Like 1

I think is a good plan. Instead of keeping ready to release houses and region on hold-up, release finished regions as they go sounds good to me.

Wonder if this will affect the design and planning aspect. Is not the same to plan and create a whole large area than plan and create piece by piece. Is easy to miss important design and planning elements when you are not creating something as a whole. I would guess there has to be a larger plan created and work small areas according to it.

We can't know the exact time in the day, and I doubt they will announce it. Because then people will sit and wait, and be all fired up. Should it be a delay of a few hours, there will be no end of the complaints.

60 homes a week is a nice, but divided on 7 days, it is more abandoned in a week.

Take today. I have not been well, and opened the laptop 2 hours ago. These hours, it's been 3 houses and 1 boat popping up on the homes page.

A list of residents, to be assigned a home, would not be so bad. I thought a list would be useless, since it is so few homes abandoned. It isn't. Its people missing them, since they go in seconds.

I was against a list first, because I thought it was abandoned 1-2 homes in a week. It is much more turnover than that.

If you abandoned the house you got from LL, you get off the waiting list and have to sign up after period of 48 hours or so?

The problem is all the work a list would be. I don't think LL has the capacity.

I don't understand how we are able to see and claim a new Linden Home/houseboat/camp site, etc. Are they released to be claimed on the "Get Your Home Now" widget on our dashboard. I tried camping for a couple of hours yesterday on a parcel that appeared ready to go, but there was no BUY option. 

It would be more fair if they were released to the widget, like the old homes.

What am I not seeing? I tried to bring in a Premium Alt to sit for me and he was hurled 300 meters, so I figure that is out, hahaha.

I agree with whoever suggested a waiting list...even a randomized waiting list. If they want to exclude other premium accounts from the same isp address, to make it more fair, then I wholeheartedly agree.

3 minutes ago, emilia Avindar said:

I don't understand how we are able to see and claim a new Linden Home/houseboat/camp site, etc. Are they released to be claimed on the "Get Your Home Now" widget on our dashboard. I tried camping for a couple of hours yesterday on a parcel that appeared ready to go, but there was no BUY option. 

What am I not seeing? I tried to bring in a Premium Alt to sit for me and he was hurled 300 meters, so I figure that is out, hahaha.

I agree with whoever suggested a waiting list...even a randomized waiting list. If they want to exclude other premium accounts from the same isp address, to make it more fair, then I wholeheartedly agree.

You claim them the same way you would the old linden homes.  When one is available you will see it alongside meadowbrook, etc. just like you did with the old homes.  If they don't show up and all you see are the older homes, it's because there are not any available. 

I do happen to disagree with you on the excluding people by IP addresses, my partner in RL plays just like I do.  In fact we met on SL and eventually became a 1st life couple.  It would be very  unfair if only one of us could exercise our right to a home if we both pay for premium accounts.  I am sure there are others in a same or similar situations. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, emilia Avindar said:

The only thing you can notice inworld, is if you have the map open, and see a SSP region change from SSP... to a name. That region is ready to be released.

You are correct, the "get your home now" is the right site to follow. If 20 new homes is released, they will go in 30 seconds or so, because all the people waiting. That's why people think it's nothing new. The homes go so fast. If you install an automatic page refresher, you can try to grab abandoned homes.

As I said in the post over, in 2 hours I have seen 3 houses and one boat, by installing auto-refresh.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, @SerraWeckerly ...so I'm happy to know I can use the widget, but I wonder if the campers have first rights to claim if they are on site when the "houseboat" goes live?
Perhaps my alt got tossed because he was being teleported by me.  Of course, I see your point; a Premium account is a paid account, and as of now, there's no information to indicate that a second or third with the same payment info is secondary to the first.  I was just speculating and drawing my own conclusion. I would be nice to leave him camping if that would help.

2 hours ago, Leora Jacobus said:

And how do I know a region is being restarted= Even if I AM inworld an DO watch the map ... which I cannot do all the time.

Have you ever played dodge the restarting region while with your friends, on a speed boat, racing around the Blake sea? I have. The region on the map turns red during a restart. It was just another option for those waiting not a must do. I saw someone else mention they saw St Louisa restart right before they went live.

On another note did you premium issue get sorted?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, emilia Avindar said:

Thanks for the reply, @SerraWeckerly ...so I'm happy to know I can use the widget, but I wonder if the campers have first rights to claim if they are on site when the "houseboat" goes live?
Perhaps my alt got tossed because he was being teleported by me.  Of course, I see your point; a Premium account is a paid account, and as of now, there's no information to indicate that a second or third with the same payment info is secondary to the first.  I was just speculating and drawing my own conclusion. I would be nice to leave him camping if that would help.

Oh no. Sitting inworld means nothing.

And I often had problems teleporting to a specific point in unfinished regions. I often land a bit away, and have to fly in.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

The only thing you can notice inworld, is if you have the map open, and see a SSP region change from SSP... to a name. That region is ready to be released.

You are correct, the "get your home now" is the right site to follow. If 20 new homes is released, they will go in 30 seconds or so, because all the people waiting. That's why people think it's nothing new. The homes go so fast.

If you install an automatic page refresher, you can try to grab abandoned homes.

As I said in the post over, in 2 hours I have seen 3 houses and one boat, by installing auto-refresh.

1 minute ago, Marianne Little said:

The problem is all the work a list would be. I don't think LL has the capacity.

No, the problem is that nothing LL does will make 100% of the people happy. They tried a huge release at once. People complained. They tried a smaller release with the pickle. People complained. Now they're trying this, and yes, people are going to complain. 

If the Flying Spaghetti Monster swooped down from the sky with a shiny, clean, brand new Linden Home or Houseboat in the ideal perfect location for every single person, AND it  was self-aware and would just know intrinsically how to be that particular resident's idea of the perfect house, with the perfect furnishings, with the perfect landscaping AND refunded every single dollar collected by LL over the past 16 years with a promise to pay each resident a daily stipend of L$25,000 on top of that, along with unlimited real life squishy hugs from the person from their real life that they most desperately need one from, plus an ice cream cone, someone would still complain. 

"This is unfair", "they should do it this way", "they should do it that way", "they favor this", "they favor that..."

OMFG.

OMFG!

If all the complainers know so much about what LL should do, then they should go get some venture capital and start their own SL. 

giphy.gif.40e3d625a83e3de9207072096bab63b4.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 9
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

No, the problem is that nothing LL does will make 100% of the people happy. They tried a huge release at once. People complained. They tried a smaller release with the pickle. People complained. Now they're trying this, and yes, people are going to complain. 

If the Flying Spaghetti Monster swooped down from the sky with a shiny, clean, brand new Linden Home or Houseboat in the ideal perfect location for every single person, AND it  was self-aware and would just know intrinsically how to be that particular resident's idea of the perfect house, with the perfect furnishings, with the perfect landscaping AND refunded every single dollar collected by LL over the past 16 years with a promise to pay each resident a daily stipend of L$25,000 on top of that, along with unlimited real life squishy hugs from the person from their real life that they most desperately need one from, plus an ice cream cone, someone would still complain. 

"This is unfair", "they should do it this way", "they should do it that way", "they favor this", "they favor that..."

OMFG.

OMFG!

If all the complainers know so much about what LL should do, then they should go get some venture capital and start their own SL. 

giphy.gif.40e3d625a83e3de9207072096bab63b4.gif

Thanks Beth, this gave me a much needed laugh today..lol.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

That won't tell you exactly.  The rename happens before the final pre-release work and final testing is done.   The next 4-5 regions to be released have already been named (were renamed a week or three ago) -- check the map next to Santa xxxxx (whatever was released yesterday.  When a region changes to a real name, that just means it will be ready sometime within roughly a week.... . maybe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's been a month since the last batch.

I think once a new area / region has been completed then it should be made available on the land selection page. 

The lab need to get rid of old Linden home choices and replace it with the new continent choice with a status check on it which updates like the SL Grid Status page.

Be nice to have a drop down list for Linden Homes, Houseboats, Campers/Trailers and soon Trains etc

The wait is too long for many I know.

Edited by Daniel Voyager
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Daniel Voyager said:

It's been a month since the last batch.

I think once a new area / region has been completed then it should be made available on the land selection page. 

The lab need to get rid of old Linden home choices and replace it with the new continent choice with a status check on it which updates like the SL Grid Status page.

Be nice to have a drop down list for Linden Homes, Houseboats, Campers/Trailers and soon Trains etc

The wait is too long for many I know.

I guess I am confused on your point. 

You want to have types of plots (Traditional, Houseboat, Camper, Trailer etc.) listed in the "GET YOUR LINDEN HOME" choices even if they are not available (which will be pretty much all the time for awhile anyway).  So folks (especially new folks) that come in thinking that they can get a home won't even see the old Linden Homes that ARE available -- so no home at all? 

That seems like a very confusing plan to me --- 

By the time the 20 or so plots become available and the time there are gone there will be not enough seconds for anyone to READ the status update LOL.

If I have this all wrong, just let me know. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I guess I am confused on your point. 

You want to have types of plots (Traditional, Houseboat, Camper, Trailer etc.) listed in the "GET YOUR LINDEN HOME" choices even if they are not available (which will be pretty much all the time for awhile anyway).  So folks (especially new folks) that come in thinking that they can get a home won't even see the old Linden Homes that ARE available -- so no home at all? 

That seems like a very confusing plan to me --- 

By the time the 20 or so plots become available and the time there are gone there will be not enough seconds for anyone to READ the status update LOL.

If I have this all wrong, just let me know. 

I don't see the point now for the old Linden homes to be listed. They will be closing either later this year or next year once the new continent is fully here. 

Having monthly progress updates I think is too long I think. It should be every two weeks. 

Edited by Daniel Voyager
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Daniel Voyager said:

I don't see the point now for the old Linden homes to be listed. They will be closing either later this year or next year once the new continent is fully here. 

Having monthly progress updates I think is too long I think. It should be every two weeks. 

Old Linden Homes will not be killed off until there are enough new homes for everyone living there now plus all the new folks that are getting homes.  The number of homes released so far --- somewhere around 3500, give or take some -- has taken almost a year since we first noticed the SSP continent.  Patch had said at one point that they have about 38,000 homes needed to replace the old homes. I'm guessing the process will continue to get faster, but it is still going to be a few years.

Also, we know from posts here in the forums, there really are people still claiming an old home as somewhere to live until there is more inventory of the new stuff.

For the latest regions of Houses and Houseboats --- basically the center part of the continent that they have been working on -- they will be releasing a region every other day.  As to the new themes being released - no clue how often the status updates will be, but we know the first big release of the Campers & Trailers will be in a few months.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

Is there a difference with the viewer you use, I  have always used the second life viewer. earlier on my dashboard nothing would load ,,,, jut a big blank black nothing   log in log out  cleared every thing  did every thing you are supposed to ,,,,, then the pages got frozen ,,,,, later things a bit better   ahhhh the house boat on the page,,, i quickly  name it clicked the accept the terms and  kept getting please accept the terms ,,, it clicked  so over and over  then bam   it went to the next page and i got sorry please chose another  selection . ...... so who knows  any more.

am house boat  house ,,,, it for me is the bigger prim allotment,,,,,, i also di a complete uninstall and reinstall ,,,, i have noticed that when i go t o market place the pages do not want to flip to the next page ,,,, they freeze ,,,,, i have submitted a ticket ,,,, so ,,,  but tired  of trying ,,,,, not worth the  stress,,,,,,    and this is not whinning just stating what happened to me and  after speaking to a few in real life ,,,, they as  well have been having  difficulty with  pages not loading still being the darn you got logged out    ... and not being able to log in or getting e mail still being a problem 

1 minute ago, roseelvira said:

Is there a difference with the viewer you use, I  have always used the second life viewer. earlier on my dashboard nothing would load ,,,, jut a big blank black nothing   log in log out  cleared every thing  did every thing you are supposed to ,,,,, then the pages got frozen ,,,,, later things a bit better   ahhhh the house boat on the page,,, i quickly  name it clicked the accept the terms and  kept getting please accept the terms ,,, it clicked  so over and over  then bam   it went to the next page and i got sorry please chose another  selection . ...... so who knows  any more.

am house boat  house ,,,, it for me is the bigger prim allotment,,,,,, i also di a complete uninstall and reinstall ,,,, i have noticed that when i go t o market place the pages do not want to flip to the next page ,,,, they freeze ,,,,, i have submitted a ticket ,,,, so ,,,  but tired  of trying ,,,,, not worth the  stress,,,,,,    and this is not whinning just stating what happened to me and  after speaking to a few in real life ,,,, they as  well have been having  difficulty with  pages not loading still being the darn you got logged out    ... and not being able to log in or getting e mail still being a problem 

I have never used a browser within the viewer.  I also have a separate external browser running.  Personally, I use Chrome for most things, though occasionally will use Firefox.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.