Dishonest merchant in the marketplace

Johiro

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I recently purchased an accessory item in the marketplace and it turned out that it wouldn't work on my avatar. 

(Disclaimer) It didn't say that it doesn't work on certain types of avatar. 

So I went to their in-world store to access their re-delivery, (because it said in the description that it has an update) but it didn't have a record of my purchase. So i sent a message to the merchant about my problem with the product and also with the re-delivery record. She sent me the same product and it turned out that the update has nothing to do with the distortions. She then asked me what type of Body I'm using and i responded immediately. I waited for her response. But an hour later still not a word from her even though I saw that she was online. So i decided to just wait after 24 hours thinking "oh maybe she is fixing it" that's why she couldn't respond. But 24 hours later, i still didn't hear anything from her. So i decided to write a 1 star review on the product and the service. I almost forgot about it when i was browsing through the marketplace and saw the thing again with full-five star reviews, and instead of 4 reviewers, there are now 2. And my review is gone! Hmm.. How could that be? By the way, I can show proofs if anyone will ask. 

So my question is, can merchants now delete their products that has bad reviews and re-list it again and get away with it?

And yes, I already flagged the item, although i am doubtful that it will make a difference. As I'm probably the only one flagging it

11 hours ago, Johiro said:

So my question is, can merchants now delete their products that has bad reviews and re-list it again and get away with it?

It's not allowed of course. Whether they can get away with it is another question. I would guess they usually can simply because there's not much chance anybody will flag it.

And yes, I already flagged the item, although i am doubtful that it will make a difference. As I'm probably the only one flagging it

It only takes one flag. If I understand @Dakota Linden right, LL will always take a look at flagged listings, the question is whether they can spot right away the reason why it was flagged. In this case I'm fairly sure they will.

It's interesting that the new listing got two five star reviews right away btw... :P

But with all that being said:

So i decided to just wait after 24 hours thinking "oh maybe she is fixing it" that's why she couldn't respond. But 24 hours later, i still didn't hear anything from her.

You probably shuld have waited a little bit longer but then again, if it was a fitted mesh item there's not much realistic chance they could have fixed it so the solution would have been to apologize, refund and correct the MP description.

So I recently purchased an accessory item in the marketplace and it turned out that it wouldn't work on my avatar. 

(Disclaimer) It didn't say that it doesn't work on certain types of avatar. 

Did it say that it did work on your type of avatar?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Did it say that it did work on your type of avatar?

That raises an interesting question. All fitted meshes I've seen for sale have had a lsit of the bodies they work for. But what if it doesn't? Is it the sellers or the buyer's responsibility to make sure it fits?

Does it make a difference if it's a demo available?

DOes it make a difference if it's not even clear from the decription that it is fitted mesh?

11 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

That raises an interesting question. All fitted meshes I've seen for sale have had a lsit of the bodies they work for. But what if it doesn't? Is it the sellers or the buyer's responsibility to make sure it fits?

Does it make a difference if it's a demo available?

DOes it make a difference if it's not even clear from the decription that it is fitted mesh?

We really don't know enough about the situation and item in question to answer that. From the pictures, though, it looks like Johiro is wearing a Kemono avatar or something similar, which would have a very proprietary set of accessories that will only work with that avatar and most things made for any other avatar won't work for it. With an avatar like that the buyer would have a higher responsibility than for most other types of avatar.

In the real world most tire stores sell tires for cars and trucks. Do they need to tell customers that they don't sell tires for bicycles and lawn mowers, and is it their fault if a customer buys a lug wrench to remove a wheel and can't because it's a bicycle wheel they're trying to remove?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

We really don't know enough about the situation and item in question to answer that.

That's true but it might be something worth discussing in general too, not specifically for this case.

51 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

From the pictures, though, it looks like Johiro is wearing a Kemono avatar or something similar, which would have a very proprietary set of accessories that will only work with that avatar and most things made for any other avatar won't work for it. With an avatar like that the buyer would have a higher responsibility than for most other types of avatar.

Oh, I didn't notice. That could make a huge difference of course, depending on what kind of accessory it was.

• Moderators

Greetings all!

My comments on this post should not in any way be taken as applying to THIS specific purchase, and is only for general information.

1. If an item was purchased and the buyer believes the seller may have removed and relisted the item, they can check easily enough.  Open the Order Summary on the Marketplace and try to go to the Product Listing linked in the order. 

If the buyer can go to the Product Listing linked in their own order, then the item wasn't removed and relisted.  The original listing that the buyer purchased the item from is still there. 

2. Reviews can be removed if the issue the buyer is raising in the review is already covered in the Product Listing Description. 

Example 1. If a buyer leaves a  review saying that an item is No Modify, but the Product Listing Permissions and/or the description, images, etc. all show that the item is No Modify, then the review will be removed.   The buyer purchased an item advertised as No Modify and then wrote a review upset because the item is No Modify.

This can also happen with clothing

Example 2:  If clothing is listed for Classic Avatars and a buyer purchases the item and writes a review stating that the item does not fit their Mesh avatar, then the review will most likely be removed.  The item in the listing is noted as being for Classic avatars, not Mesh avatars. 

This can also happen when purchasing Mesh items.  If the items is designed for a specific body, even if items that fit that specific body MAY fit other Mesh bodies, if the buyer leaves a review stating that the item did not fit the XXX Body when the listing says it is for the YYY Body, the review will most likely be removed. 

3. For confirmation, yes. 1 review is all it takes.  Each report is reviewed on its own. Having multiple people report an item, or a review, will only annoy the Linden who is working on the reports because it clutters up and bloats the reports.  If an item is reported for keyword spam, having 10 other people also report the same listing for keyword spam isn't going to have any impact on whether or not the listing does or does not have keyword spam.  The MKT Flagging Tool isn't a popularity contest where the listing or review that gets the most reports will convince the Lindens to do something.  

• Thanks 6

16 hours ago, Johiro said:

Removed - redundant since Dakota replied while I was-a-writin'.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Dakota Linden said:

1. If an item was purchased and the buyer believes the seller may have removed and relisted the item, they can check easily enough.  Open the Order Summary on the Marketplace and try to go to the Product Listing linked in the order. 

Hi, Dakota, thank you for the response. I tried clicking the link in my order summary and it always leads me to the main marketplace page. So yes, the item had been removed and re-listed. 

5 hours ago, ChinRey said:

You probably shuld have waited a little bit longer but then again, if it was a fitted mesh item there's not much realistic chance they could have fixed it so the solution would have been to apologize, refund and correct the MP description.

It was actually more than 24 hours. But i would've been fine with it and went on my merry way if she was decent enough to tell me that it can't be fixed instead of just making me wait for nothing. I guess i would've understood why she didn't respond if i was being rude to her, but I wasn't. Also didn't even ask for a refund or anything

But she had time to delete her listing and re-list again.

57 minutes ago, Johiro said:

It was actually more than 24 hours. But i would've been fine with it and went on my merry way if she was decent enough to tell me that it can't be fixed instead of just making me wait for nothing. I guess i would've understood why she didn't respond if i was being rude to her, but I wasn't. Also didn't even ask for a refund or anything

But she had time to delete her listing and re-list again.

Time is a funny thing - for instance, you apparently didn't have time to try the demo, which includes the animations.

8 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Time is a funny thing - for instance, you apparently didn't have time to try the demo, which includes the animations.

It's very nice of you to assume that I didn't try the demo. But even if I didn't, does it mean I don't deserve a proper response? It may have been bad on my part that after trying the demo, I still bought it (thinking, "oh there is an update, maybe the item has already been fixed.") Isn't it a good etiquette for merchants to respond to customer's inquiries? If not, then ignore my post. Have a great day.

4 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

None of of knows exactly what happened. So we can't really criticise neither seller nor buyer, only discuss it in general.

It should be noted that not every item made for the Kemono will properly fit anything other than the stock version with the stock shape.

This is why there are many after market alterations (Starbright being the one I use) that can affect this too.

The above is also true of any mesh body - fitted mesh or not.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.