Can't deed object to group

Rhiannon108

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am on land that is deeded to a group. It's not set, it's deeded and I checked to make sure that was true. I have a radio player that must be deeded to work. But, the deed button is greyed out even when I click the share box. I own the object and have modify permissions. What am I missing?

12 answers to this question

44 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

With the group you are using, you must belong to a role that has "Object Management > Deed objects to group" checked under Allowed Abilities.

Yes. I have role of owner and that box is checked. Still greyed out.

Well, you could try giving it to an alt and see if it works -- if it does, then you clearly have the permission (but be careful of NEXT OWNER permissions -- something to consider when deeding to Group, too, because those will apply as soon as the transfer or deed takes effect... this is mostly a concern for objects you create yourself that may not have had those next-owner permissions set as intended).

If it doesn't work, then it may be a bit tricky to figure out why, especially if the object has lots of linked parts that may contain no-transfer scripts, textures, etc.

There's also a way to view "advanced permissions" in the Build Tool, but the way to enable that escapes me at the moment, and may be viewer-specific.

The item is copy and mod but no transfer. I am the original owner. It hasn't been transferred. I have the role of owner in the group with full permissions and my alt is officer with full permissions. When either of us clicks on the item it says on group-owned land, it must be deeded before each use. Share is checked but deed is greyed out for both me and my alt. Any other suggestions?

Right, if you can't transfer it, you can't deed it to group, because deeding is a kind of transfer: it really does change the object's owner to be the group (with the special caveat that if it's returned from the land, it will go to the Lost & Found folder of the account that did the deeding, because groups have no such folder). 

Anyway, if the item is saying it must be deeded on group-owned land, the creator must have something else in mind, assuming they're not simply confused. Usually stuff like this comes with a separate, transferable version for just this purpose. Ideally, that part will be full perm, and merely execute commands sent from the undeeded user-interacting part that can work by itself on non-group land. But some creators distribute both copy-perm and transfer-perm versions of their products, where the transfer-perm one is for this use.

I sent a message to her. Haven't heard back though it's been less than 24 hours. It's confusing. The message that pops up says it needs to be deeded for each use. Seems like adding that specific message would only happen in the context of the creator meaning for it to be used on group-owned land. Otherwise, seems like there would be no message or one that says you can't use it in such a scenario.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.