Black Dragon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question maybe the creator will poke them noses in here.    does black dragon use that chui setup the Official viewer does?   I've been seen some quality images and video of people using it, but never the interface.   

Edited by bigmoe Whitfield
I used a bad word, I removed bad word.

"You never see pictures of the UI because the UI is a horrible mess and completely unusable" ~ that accasional user every now and then.

Jokes aside, yes it does use the mostly unaltered CHUI, the only major change (aside from layout tidying up) done to it is the IM tabs being on the right rather than the left.

image.png.72bfec9c076a030859ef9297b8b162ae.png

This was done to bring the conversation floater a tad bit closer to the old Viewer 2 chat system which used chiclets (which now don't exist anymore sadly) and autohiding IM windows. The change was done with a seperated local chat in mind, whereas local chat is collapsed to a single line chatbar (like Viewer 2 had) and resting in the lower left corner right below local chat messages while the CHUI conversation window is in the right lower corner (once again like the old Viewer 2) since IM messages appear at the top right and go from top to bottom, this is due to technical reasons, since the CHUI window is no longer "docked" it isn't part of the layout IM toast chain anymore and wont "push" IMs to not occlude them.

image.thumb.png.e134aedc451102fbf603e9192eba9a96.png

Here is an example of what is considered the defacto "recommended" default layout. Note that i made the local chatbar not hide on focus loss for this snapshot otherwise it would hide automatically every time i send chat or click outside the window (once again something from Viewer 2 and also Viewer 1), both can be configured seperately.

1 minute ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Ewww CHUI chat ... I can't believe you kept that.

Keeping it? Nononono. I just haven't gotten to show it "the chopping block", i have been planning evil schemes to get rid of it since day one. It's tabbed IM after all and i absolutely despise tabbed IM.

Edited by NiranV Dean

2 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

okay I can wait, but thanks for the answer.   I have a simplistic ui setup on firestorm that works very well for what I do and was hoping I could replicate it on this viewer you make.    but I'll wait until maybe you get around to chopping it or splicing it up.

I wouldn't wait for that, that could very well be many years in the future, maybe i don't even get to do it at all. Besides, if anything i would probably try to reimplement the old V2 chat.

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

That's why we didn't put off doing it, if we had it would still be on the dreaded procrastination pile.

It's not like i haven't tried 4 times already. First try was lots of modifications people really didn't like at all and the other three attempts were tries to port back the old V2 style before it was botched with CHUI.

7 hours ago, AlexandriaBrangwin said:

I got Black Dragon running like Firestorm so it's okay...would be great if it didn't overuse the CPU and completely neglect the GPU!!!

It does neither actually unless you have a potato CPU, running potato graphics or found a way i haven't yet to utilize the CPU more than just ~20%, in the latter case i'd like to know how you did that, my CPU would probably be happy to do more than just idling. The most the Viewer has ever used even in full load is the rough equivalent of 2 cores...

But if you want more GPU use, you can always just go to a busy place, turn on SSR and Volumetric Lighting, set both's resolution to max, i'm sure they will load your GPU pretty damn well.

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Haha 1

No...i7 and a GTX 1060!

While running full settings in a crowded place the cpu was over 68%...gpu was just sitting there at 16%.

This is why tech like Directx12 and Vulkan were invented.

Sansar on the other hand gets results like 10% cpu usage and a whopping 89% gpu.

Oddly for saying Firestorm has no support for advance multi-core utilization it bumps up gpu usage when shadows are on with no change in cpu.

I wonder did they offload the work to the gpu?

On 6/29/2019 at 10:15 PM, AlexandriaBrangwin said:

No...i7 and a GTX 1060!

While running full settings in a crowded place the cpu was over 68%...gpu was just sitting there at 16%.

This is why tech like Directx12 and Vulkan were invented.

Sansar on the other hand gets results like 10% cpu usage and a whopping 89% gpu.

Oddly for saying Firestorm has no support for advance multi-core utilization it bumps up gpu usage when shadows are on with no change in cpu.

I wonder did they offload the work to the gpu?

Pretty sure they didn't. There isn't much to load off onto the GPU to begin with.

In Firestorm there's only a single option i know for sure can instantly 100% your GPU and thats Depth of Field and only if you blur the screen like crazy and have it set to max resolution. In Firestorm you might have overused DoF or Shadow resolution causing the GPU usage to spike so hard up that the CPU starts idling because the GPU is bottlenecking rather then the reverse.

Vulkan and DirectX12 wouldn't change a thing about your CPU usage, they would mainly just allow more drawcall throughput which would allow the GPU to work down more stuff, you would just get more rendering done in the same CPU usage (since its the limiting factor in SL).

BD has loaded nothing off to the GPU either, your increased CPU usage is completely unexplained but i'd guess its simply because its an Intel. My AMD FX idles most of the time.

5 hours ago, AlexandriaBrangwin said:

...ever get the feeling you're on two different topics?

I would LOVE Second Life viewers to use Vulkan or Directx12 to properly use my graphics card & stop redlining my CPU.

That IS what is happening!

It wouldnt stop redlining your CPU, just using your GPU more with the same redlining CPU. Since theres always an infinite amount of new extra stuff being shoveled ontop of the work pile for your CPU, being able to work it down faster is not going to help reduce its load, just go through the incoming work quicker, its like a carrot on a stick... except with Vulkan/DX12 its a carrot on a stick with nitro.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.