Nothing for Tinies at the SL16B Shopping Event

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

One thing that would help is if the Lindens would set up the shopping as, say, Swank and other big events do, putting corridors for women's, men's, home & garden, etc. They could likely fit the existing home & garden on just one sim.

And where would you put my store? Considering that I sell hosiery, rigged jewelry, cottages, buildings, and add-ons for the new Linden Homes?  Oh and my gift this year is furniture. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I understand how you might feel that  an H and G sim would be better for my business  and it does SEEM that way, but time and time again events with ONLY H and G have failed. I have been in several that did so.  Most H and G folks will agree I think (judging only by all the H and G creators I talk with on a continuing basis) that a MIXED event works better for H and G sales.

Mixed does work better. If I go to an event primarily to buy clothing, and the H and G stuff is in another area, I won't see it. If it's mixed, there is a very good chance I'm going to see something I didn't set out to buy but can't resist. As a matter of fact, most of my H and G stuff is a result of impulse buying. With clothing, I have to get a demo, take it home and try it on, and then go back to buy it. That gives me time to think if I really want it or not. I see some cute H and G something or other, anything from L$100 to L$10,000 and there is a high likelihood of me just plopping the money down right then and there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Any who knows me know that I have a TINY shopping habit. 😛 However, I haven't been to this event at ALL, this year.  I'm not even sure if I'll go.  I've been to similar past events and it really hasn't been worth it to me.  Shopping events, in general, are usually pretty laggy.  This type,however, you MAY take 1 step or be able to cam to one store before you crash.  Then, youhave to fight to get back in and that can take seemingly forever to do that. By that point, I'm usually frustrated and bored and really don't feel like fighting with everything else to possibly get that one gift or buy that one item I was looking for.  

I like to buy gifts for people, but it's hard to do when I see the same stuff over and over again.  I want to see more good menswear.  Something other than the prerequisite board shorts and tank tops. I would LOVE to see a quality smoking jacket/loungeset.  We  have a plethora of Playboy Bunny-esque outfits. Why can't there be a Hugh Hefner inspired outfit? I want to see more Goth options.    I want to see  more costumes or unusual pieces.  I don't want to go to an event and see the same item being sold by two different vendors ( that has happened).  A niche store can succeed, as long as the niche it caters to knows about it.  If it can't get into shopping events, or the owner didn't apply thinking they'd never get in, they can't get the exposure they need to grow their business. 

okay, I've gone off the rails now. 😛  sorry.  Anyway,  nothing about this event has inspired me to want to go and check it out.  I may try to go if it's late and night and I can't sleep, but right now,  I'm giving it a pass.  Unless, someone can show me there is a store full of floofy, floaty dresses, then I might be persuaded to go.  lol 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Catrie said:

We  have a plethora of Playboy Bunny-esque outfits. Why can't there be a Hugh Hefner inspired outfit?

Probably because Playboy bunnies were cute, whereas Hugh Hefner was just kinda gross?

I jest -- sort of. I DO take your point about the lack of variety and diversity in SL. Increasingly, in terms of everything from mesh heads and skins, to nicely built sims, a lack of variety seems to be becoming a particularly SL problem.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Evangeline Ling said:

Am I totally missing the stores??? like I honestly have no idea where they are and I've walked all over SL16B

The shop and hop isn't in the same area .. open your map and search Gilded. You will see 5 regions and 10 adjoining cam regions. 

Edited by Blush Bravin
fixed typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I understand how you might feel that  an H and G sim would be better for my business  and it does SEEM that way, but time and time again events with ONLY H and G have failed. I have been in several that did so.  Most H and G folks will agree I think (judging only by all the H and G creators I talk with on a continuing basis) that a MIXED event works better for H and G sales.

I'm not sure which events you're referring to, Chic, but our experiences have clearly been very different with regard to events. 

There's always multiple takes on everything, I guess. After doing over 30 events of different sizes over several years,  I can't agree at all that mixed events are always better for home and garden creators. I think it depends completely on which event it is as to whether it is better or worse—many/most of my experiences with "mixed" events really just add up to home and garden creators given (1) too small a booth to do anything with, (2) a low prim allowance that hinders any substantial display, and/or (3) shoving us off to a demo area that most shoppers won't visit. 

I've been in several only H&G events too, in the last couple years. Two of them closed for reasons that had nothing to do with whether they were successful or a great shopping experience for designers and shoppers; it was all a big mess of drama for one of them (Illuminate), and a complex mix of reasons for the other (Blueprint). The third one, the Boardwalk Event, is going strong and is already full with over 50 designers for the 5th round in July. (Full disclosure: I'm part of the organizing team for Boardwalk.)

What's more, some H&G designers will find that an event does very well for them while others—even with similar styles/stores—might find that the same round of the same event doesn't meet expectations. My take-away from all of it is: regardless of the size or prominence of the event, and regardless of whether it is "mixed" or an all H&G event, there's no way to accurately conclude that one sort of event setup works better/best for H&G designers across the board. If there were, you can bet that, as both an H&G designer and an event organizer, THAT would be the kind of event I would be striving to put together.

21 minutes ago, Anggy Rasmuson said:

I'm not sure which events you're referring to, Chic, but our experiences have clearly been very different with regard to events. 

There's always multiple takes on everything, I guess. After doing over 30 events of different sizes over several years,  I can't agree at all that mixed events are always better for home and garden creators. I think it depends completely on which event it is as to whether it is better or worse—many/most of my experiences with "mixed" events really just add up to home and garden creators given (1) too small a booth to do anything with, (2) a low prim allowance that hinders any substantial display, and/or (3) shoving us off to a demo area that most shoppers won't visit. 

I've been in several only H&G events too, in the last couple years. Two of them closed for reasons that had nothing to do with whether they were successful or a great shopping experience for designers and shoppers; it was all a big mess of drama for one of them (Illuminate), and a complex mix of reasons for the other (Blueprint). The third one, the Boardwalk Event, is going strong and is already full with over 50 designers for the 5th round in July. (Full disclosure: I'm part of the organizing team for Boardwalk.)

What's more, some H&G designers will find that an event does very well for them while others—even with similar styles/stores—might find that the same round of the same event doesn't meet expectations. My take-away from all of it is: regardless of the size or prominence of the event, and regardless of whether it is "mixed" or an all H&G event, there's no way to accurately conclude that one sort of event setup works better/best for H&G designers across the board. If there were, you can bet that, as both an H&G designer and an event organizer, THAT would be the kind of event I would be striving to put together.

Well I find I cannot comment honestly here on some things you wrote and so I won't. 

I WILL SAY that except for gachas (my over the top best events for a year) where I put out a demo landmark so people could go visit and SEE the items) I have only been in one "tiny booth" event (actually two as one long time event I was in tried tiny booths for a short while and H and G left in droves and so they went back to larger H and G areas :D) so I do agree that depending on products space is good. 

And I will say that the H and G folks that  I talk to almost daily do not agree with some of your comments (as told to me personally) about some of the events you mention and they were in those events. I do not either.  So we can agree to disagree. If some other H and G creators have had great experiences with all H and G events and want to pipe in here I would be very happy to hear their take on the subject. I can only go by my experiences and those of friends. 

The dra-ma I was referring to was more current and of the Top Tier variety but I do know the story behind what you mentioned. Wasn't part of my point. :D.    

I hope your event goes well for you and has a long and successful run. 

Any way of organising it will work for some and not for others. I hate shopping and tire easily, so the by themes suggestion would be great for me. I could do hair one day, take the boy alt in another, and so on. I'd spend more time, it would be more easily manageable and I'd be far more inclined to spend money. As it is, I end up confused, overwhelmed, and if it's predominately overly-sexualised clothing, feeling out of place, wondering why I bothered and increasingly grumpy. But of course those choices and environment are exactly what many want. It works well enough for many, but could it work better?

I'd love for the SL-sponsored events to feel more different from other shopping events. (They do in layout but not really in terms of stores.) Perhaps the work to make them more diverse needs to be in seeking out and encouraging niche creators to participate rather than relying on who applies. And what can be done to help nurture the grid's once abundant diversity?

• Like 1

I've endured that laghole doing my freebie hunting, and I'll say that there are maybe two other stores with nonhuman parts that I may visit NEXT WEEK at the earliest. And while Tinies are a thriving community and pretty much a part of SL, it's still a niche thing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.