message im getting when logging into SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1762 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i reinstalled windows 10 on the  same computer i always use & it installed the 1903 version & now when i tried to log in i got this message " we are unable to decode the file storing your credentials. at this point saving or deleting your credentials will erase all those previously stored. this may happen when you change network setup. restarting the viewer with the previous network configuration may help recovering your saved login credentials" i havent changed my network setup..so what does this mean & what can i do? 

It can happen for many different reasons. System/driver updates, and changing computer parts can cause it. Your credentials are encrypted/secured based on your current computer setup (but I don't know what exactly), so if anything relevant changes even a little, the viewer loses the "key" to decrypt/read the file again.

Failed to Decode Login Credentials

Firestorm may complain that it cannot decode the credentials when you launch the viewer. This can be because there is actual corruption in the file, or because the file came from a different computer, or because of an operating system update. In some cases you can simply re-enter your credentials and the file will self-repair. If it warns you on each login, it will be necessary to delete the credentials file.

1. Launch Firestorm, then find your user settings folder by going to Preferences  Network & Files -> Directories and click Open Settings Folder.
  2. Quit Firestorm
  3. Locate and delete the file called bin_conf.dat.

If you backup your settings, also delete the bin_conf.dat file in your backup folder before attempting to use the restore option.

should i try this??

Delete bin_conf.dat to get rid of the message.

Always delete if you change the network or windows version.

Do I really need to mention that you can always move or rename the file instead of deleting it, which gives you the option to restore it?

Did you see the setup backup and restore option of FS? In case of a restore it will restore bin_conf.dat as well.

If that makes no sense for you, just delete the file or live with the message 😎

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1762 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.