Naming Bellisseria Streets

Kalia Anatine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Navigating the Bellisseria roadways can be confusing. As I am riding my scooter or jogging I tend to have to stop and look at the map to figure out where I am.  Can the streets be named?  It could even be done as a contest perhaps.  I just think little roadway signs on the intersections would be a nice touch.  

• Like 4

Excellent idea. . . . and one I've been wondering about myself. Perhaps if it's too much added weight to the already overburdened Moles - residents in a street could get together, decide a name and the two at either end put up a street name sign?

Maybe some bright mesher could make a free universal one available to all Belliserians?

• Like 2

This has been asked for already and LL have said that it's just not feasible to do it. But someone in one of the Bellisserian groups did make some house numbers that you can put on your home, the object takes the numbers from your plot Slurl, really lovely idea and works well (sorry can't remember right now what it's called or who by, but it was very generous of them will try and post later).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boudicca Amat said:

That's why I suggested that we do it ourselves ..........the Moles have quite enough to do already  :)

and start WW3 because all want something different... or get streets with name changes at every home..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

people who have a road corner parcel, get to choose up to 4 street names just by putting up a sign on the boundary of their parcel. Not that everyone might agree with the names, but ownership of the sign tends to decide these kinda things

Just wanted to note that the spot where street signs would normally be placed (in the US anyway) are NOT on parcels, but are MOLE (LL) lands. In order to place the road sign it would need to be anchored on a parcel which while not precisely against the covenant --- IS in a gray area.

image.png.b83a3e128f8f64b9ffea16b70483f2a6.png

image.thumb.png.985b9b815cc648c085ce7bb6710f1f3e.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Due to the hard work our beloved moles do for second life i think it would be a way of showing appreciation  to name the streets after each mole ,,, example ,,,, Quartz mole way or abner mole cove  or allotta mole parkway . Did i get some of the names right  if not sorry  but hope you  get the ideal

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

This has been asked for already and LL have said that it's just not feasible to do it. But someone in one of the Bellisserian groups did make some house numbers that you can put on your home, the object takes the numbers from your plot Slurl, really lovely idea and works well (sorry can't remember right now what it's called or who by, but it was very generous of them will try and post later).

I have a house number on my houseboat.  it was created by ivory.bouscario .  I like the house number.  I am not sure if she is taking any more orders for them now though.  

2 hours ago, roseelvira said:

Due to the hard work our beloved moles do for second life i think it would be a way of showing appreciation  to name the streets after each mole ,,, example ,,,, Quartz mole way or abner mole cove  or allotta mole parkway . Did i get some of the names right  if not sorry  but hope you  get the ideal

I demand to live on @Quartz MoleWay. DEMAND. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Street signs are quite rare on the mainland.  Usually you tell what road you're on (if it has a name) by looking at the parcel name.  Rez zone names may also incorporate the road name, for example "Sandy Beach Trail Rez Zone, Elten" or "Frog Road Rez Zone, Mavericks" (that last one is in Sansara, which has very few named roads).  I don't know if it might be slightly more feasible to petition the moles to alter the names of the protected land parcels that make up a particular road or rez zones in Bellisseria, rather than ask for street signs, which take up LI.

Edited by LibGwen

9 hours ago, Kalia Anatine said:

I just think little roadway signs on the intersections would be a nice touch.  

8 hours ago, Boudicca Amat said:

.... the two at either end put up a street name sign?

The regions themselves likely do not have enough extra LI to put street signs up at every corner.  As Abnor explained in a post once, the LI of a region is a very delicate thing with these new homes.  When calculating the LI available to the Moles, they have to allow for every house in the region to be the largest LI one.  Whatever is left is what they can use for landscaping and such.  I'd bet that they have already used up most of their available LI, if not all of it, when they did all of the initial landscaping of things. 

Like Chic mentioned, putting a sign at a corner that is rooted in your parcel is possibly problematic also.  I wouldn't recommend going that route.

• Moles
2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The regions themselves likely do not have enough extra LI to put street signs up at every corner.  As Abnor explained in a post once, the LI of a region is a very delicate thing with these new homes.  When calculating the LI available to the Moles, they have to allow for every house in the region to be the largest LI one.  Whatever is left is what they can use for landscaping and such.  I'd bet that they have already used up most of their available LI, if not all of it, when they did all of the initial landscaping of things. 

Like Chic mentioned, putting a sign at a corner that is rooted in your parcel is possibly problematic also.  I wouldn't recommend going that route.

We also have to leave some spare LI for vehicles, otherwise boats and cars and planes and stuff risk finding themselves unable to enter regions with insufficient spare LI.

You should always be able to rez a vehicle on your own parcel, assuming you have the available LI, and then drive it round the region, so we're not so worried about that, but we do have to worry about what happens when high LI vehicles try to cross from one region to the next, because the LI to cover them has to come from the receiving region's reserves, and can't be transferred from the reserves of the region it's leaving.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

we do have to worry about what happens when high LI vehicles try to cross from one region to the next, because the LI to cover them has to come from the receiving region's reserves, and can't be transferred from the reserves of the region it's leaving

I totally forgot about the 'vehicle entry' part of things.  Good reminder.

• Like 1

The mainland continents all have major routes named on the roadbed parcels which makes it a little easier to navigate from one place to another. Maybe something similar can be done with the major north-south and east-west roads on Bellisseria since this won't take up any additional region resources.

🏖️    🚙 🚗 🚲 🚌 🚕    ⛰️

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

So name all the parcels through which the major routes run "Highway 1," or whatever the appropriate number is for that route, rather than the generic "Protected Land"?

Interesting idea.

Are there major routes on Bellisseria? Genuine question... I haven't studied the map close enough, I guess, to notice.

• Like 1

Designating some streets as "through routes" and using a different pavement marking would be a nice touch. No LI cost. Then you could drive around without having to have the world map open.

Edited by animats
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

So name all the parcels through which the major routes run "Highway 1," or whatever the appropriate number is for that route, rather than the generic "Protected Land"?

Interesting idea.

I took a closer look at the map and it wouldn't really be an ideal solution on its own. Unlike Sansara or Zindra, for example, Bellisseria's layout is very suburban and there are only a few truly continuous thoroughfares.

3 hours ago, animats said:

Designating some streets as "through routes" and using a different pavement marking would be a nice touch. No LI cost. Then you could drive around without having to have the world map open.

But adding a different line or even a subtle shading to the asphalt might be enough to get people past the cul-de-sacs and through the doglegs.

I'm thinking that it's highly unlikely that the existing regions in Bellisseria will be changed. But maybe keep it in mind for the next continent. Bellisserian travellers will just have to rely on SLWaze or something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Moles
1 hour ago, Lukas Thetan said:

I took a closer look at the map and it wouldn't really be an ideal solution on its own. Unlike Sansara or Zindra, for example, Bellisseria's layout is very suburban and there are only a few truly continuous thoroughfares.

But adding a different line or even a subtle shading to the asphalt might be enough to get people past the cul-de-sacs and through the doglegs.

I'm thinking that it's highly unlikely that the existing regions in Bellisseria will be changed. But maybe keep it in mind for the next continent. Bellisserian travellers will just have to rely on SLWaze or something.

Thanks.     I'm not involved in layout and stuff ... I've tried but I've discovered my time is better spent scripting and everyone else's time is better spent doing anything other than fixing my mistakes, so it's a win-win.

I'll certainly try to make sure the appropriate people see this discussion, though, if they haven't already.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if it is relevant, or if the official viewer has this option, I use the (Firestorm) map this way:

I open it and click once where I want to go. When I minimize the map, I have a red beacon showing where I clicked. That's my Waze or GPS.

I have to choose roads in every crossing, and it's often detours... but that's unavoidable since there is no highways.

It would be cool with a "West Coastal Highway" but I think that's too late.

A different color on the roads.... I am not sold on that. How to solve it in all intersections?

I am more in favor of painted arrows on the tarmac that marks the fastest way north - south, east - west. Or a different colored line next to the white ones we already have. It would not be 100% real world traffic markings, but to make the suburban streets into proper highways would be difficult now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.