4 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

They already haven't posted anything since the ultimatum..

Which really doesn't mean anything.

At all.

It will mean something if more than a month goes by however.

47 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Provided said poster can actually move on and resist the urge to further argue, sure Amina.

She hasn't posted since Monday.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

She hasn't posted since Monday.

That's nice, I'm cynical where this sort of thing is concerned. See my above response to Wulfie.

A few days, a week? Means nothing more than space being taken to calm down (at best).

Edited by Solar Legion

On 7/5/2019 at 1:21 PM, Amina Sopwith said:

there is a survivor on this thread who understandably found the content very upsetting.

Make that two.

21 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Make that two.

I'm sorry to hear it. And probably several more as well. All the more reason for the rest of us to just let it lie now that it's all been said several times.

All I'm going to say is, more often than not, most rape victims/survivors will not find rape jokes, of any kind, amusing. 

42 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

All I'm going to say is, more often than not, most rape victims/survivors will not find rape jokes, of any kind, amusing. 

Glad you said most.

Again; different coping strategies for different people. Different triggers for different people. Different experiences for different people. The last thing I would want is for someone who doesn't react the same as the perceived majority to feel wrong or ostracised on top of their own personal traumas. Here's hoping we can all agree on that much. :) 

While we're on the subject, this has me thinking to the rumours that have been dogging SL for years now in the general media; that it's little more than a sex den.

I wonder how people would feel if they saw or had some kind of warning such as the factual info contained in this thread as a noob/new member just signing up to join SL? 

Imagine you were at Information Island (or whatever that starting point is called now when you fist sign up) - and you see or are given info on virtual rape (or "forced" or unwanted sexual advances) and means to avoid it. Would you even want to know? Would it make you wary of joining SL/exploring any further for fear of possible "rape", or would it just add to the confusion? What would be the best means to educate someone right from the start? Note card? Visual (like a texture sent or a poster rezzed)? Or do you think anything given (unless you're actually searching for it) would be counterproductive?

TL;DR: Not looking to pick a fight. I'm merely looking to pick people's brains. I don't know the actual statistics of members (or even new members) who visit the forums, so they're not likely to find this information unless someone who does know tells them. So how would you get the word out? If so, how? Or would you even bother?

• Like 2

@RaeLeeH

People can feel forced in more situations than just sexual. Some new people may not even realize that when you log out, your avatar leaves the grid. I think what could be useful is information encompassing any situation where the person behind the avatar feels forced/pressured, that they can just leave or log out. If it is not consensual, to leave, no matter what the scenario/situation/subject matter is.

4 minutes ago, Zoya McDonnagh said:

@RaeLeeH

People can feel forced in more situations than just sexual. Some new people may not even realize that when you log out, your avatar leaves the grid. I think what could be useful is information encompassing any situation where the person behind the avatar feels forced/pressured, that they can just leave or log out. If it is not consensual, to leave, no matter what the scenario/situation/subject matter is.

That's a good point. Sounds like commonsense to the majority perhaps, but to a new member starting out this kind of information could save a lot of potential problems from arising (and is relevant to the OP who didn't know).

So how would you promote it/get the word out?

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

That's a good point. Sounds like commonsense to the majority perhaps, but to a new member starting out this kind of information could save a lot of potential problems from arising (and is relevant to the OP who didn't know).

So how would you promote it/get the word out?

Hmm... There are so many different ways people learn, or are receptive to information, I think using multiple methods could help the most. Yes, have some "billboards" at newbie/help island (or wherever new avatars appear, It's been about 10 years since I've made an alt) that state that there ARE areas of the grid that are very adult and/or realistic in nature and give examples: violence, sexual, drug use, language, etc... And also reminding about consent and free will. Right there I think I would have a TP'ing tutorial so that both are taught together. Maybe even have a mock scenario (but tame, something like an afterschool special would do, we don't need to shock people on day one, hour one) where the point can be learned "I do not want to do this, how do I get out of here?" and that would also be their first "safe" Landmark that they can use in the future, if need be.

Also, a newbie info packet upon leaving the starting area, for those that like to read at their leisure. In that packet would also be the consent/leave if you are ever uncomfortable with an LM to the same safe area the above example sends them. (In the newbie packet, could also have note cards for other things that are taught or maybe not easily known to new players: where to get clothing that is cheap and LM's for the places that are there for newbies, events or activities that are newbie friendly (and clearly labeled what those places are) maybe ones that aren't part of the "sex den" reputation that SL has, to show that there are other things to do here. A note card how to search to find events or places, one that explains ratings so that they aren't broadsided going somewhere that they don't want to be.

I could go on with all the info that could be shown/given to new players, but my brain is starting to shut down after a looooong weekend and a lot of driving and sun. I am afraid I might start rambling lol

Edited by Zoya McDonnagh
  • Like 2

I was the noobiest of noobs (as in, I hadn't even used a chatroom) when I joined SL. I remember reading somewhere not to accept any item or teleport from someone I didn't know, and I followed that advice. I investigated where these came from and what they were, so I never got "kidnapped" into anything I didn't agree to. I also had a (unfortunate sometimes) knack for breaking any scripted thing that was given to me by unpacking it in a sandbox, deleting anything that didn't make sense and end up playing with the container..

I don't know if there is any way to curate the experience of a new player any more effectively than is already done, given people learn in all sorts of ways (and some just like to be surprised). I'm not great at reading long instructions, personally. However, we still need to behave like we're on the internet with random strangers and look before we leap (or TP or sit or wear). 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

I was the noobiest of noobs (as in, I hadn't even used a chatroom) when I joined SL. I remember reading somewhere not to accept any item or teleport from someone I didn't know, and I followed that advice   ...

I don't know if there is any way to curate the experience of a new player any more effectively than is already done, given people learn in all sorts of ways (and some just like to be surprised)

yes, some people just can't be told. They have to experience it for themselves

was at Orientation Island Public which used to be my login Home back in the day.  Got chatting to a new person as you do.  Another person came, who I knew had a habit of messing with new people.  They say to the new person that they will give them some free clothes.  And I say to the new person that is probably not a good idea to accept the offer, say why, and give the new person LMs to some freebie places and suggest they go and get for themselves from a reputable shop keeper. The messer-up person laughs and keeps trying to seduce the new person to take the offer. I am saying not too.  Our back and forth chat is pretty polite, like we are not yelling or anything

anyways the new person accepts the offer of a free shirt, as told the same shirt  as the messer-up is wearing.  The new person asks how they put it on. The messer-up explains to right click in Inventory and Wear. I say best not to do that, it is not a shirt. New person wears it and woosh! Orbited and crashed

i say to the messer-up person, you shouldn't do these kinda things to new people. And they say to me: You did try to tell him

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mollymews said:

They have to experience it for themselves

Learning from a mistake makes for a better story though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Talligurl said:

Learning from a mistake makes for a better story though.

true that!

every time I see a great big sign in SL that says "DO NOT SIT HERE"  then I just can't help myself  😺

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i went through somethin like this when i started sl i was given something hence why they say take nothin from strangers and then the guy had control of my avi but a hr and a half thats insane i mean the guy that did it to me controlled my viewer and i couldnt shut out and once he started tryin to do sexual things to me i turned off my computer he couldnt control that so its hard to believe if she didnt want it she stayed logged in so he could control her but too eaches on thats my opinion

• Haha 1

Sorry, no. No RLV or similar function (in any legitimate Second Life client program) can prevent you from closing the client nor can it take complete control over your inputs. For that matter you have to explicitly enable RLV in many third party clients - it does not simply switch itself on.

Heck you cannot even do this with Experiences as - barring a very tiny list - you have to enable/accept the experience yourself.

Users need to stop perpetuating this crap.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Users need to stop perpetuating this crap.

They are making up implausible nonsensical fiction so their nonexistent plight will sound a lot more serious than it ever was, even if it did actually happen. They want attention. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, carolinarozene said:

i went through somethin like this when i started sl i was given something hence why they say take nothin from strangers and then the guy had control of my avi but a hr and a half thats insane i mean the guy that did it to me controlled my viewer and i couldnt shut out and once he started tryin to do sexual things to me i turned off my computer he couldnt control that so its hard to believe if she didnt want it she stayed logged in so he could control her but too eaches on thats my opinion

Less lying, more punctuation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I joined, some woman told me something about offering free ***** sex, and when I accepted that a butt plug appeared out of nowhere in RL and started to ***** me in the ass.

True story.

PS: And no lube, either.

2 hours ago, Dada Beck said:

When I joined, some woman told me something about offering free ***** sex, and when I accepted that a butt plug appeared out of nowhere in RL and started to ***** me in the ass.

picgifs-doctor-who-4733979.gif

• Haha 1

A whole hour and a half?

*looks at her husband sleeping on the couch,then takes off one of her socks and throws it at him* ¬¬

• Haha 1

Oh man, I`d love to see chat logs of that incident and how unwilling of a participant someone has to be to sit there for 90 mins..ok perhaps she doesn`t fully understand how RLV works, wouldn`t be the first, I just have a hard time believing logging off did not come to mind over such an extended period of time....and blackmail? What could he have had on her? I have so many questions!