Easy way to take and re-rezz inventory in new home?

Evangeline Arcadia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I thought I saw a few people post somewhere about rez systems which allow you to take multiple items to inventory and then re-rez them in the same position, but I can't find where I saw it, and don't know what it's called (so I don't know what I'm looking from in the MP).  Can anyone point me in the right direction please to any type of rez system/script that would do this? Or some other easy way? I'd like to experiment some more with the different home styles but loathe the idea of having to take back all my furniture and decor to inventory and then rez it and place it again if I decide I want to go back to what I have now.

Thanks!:)

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia

I use the CasperTech Rez2 system. It is free at his shop. It's very simple to use and works like a charm. I always store the exact coords of the location of the rezzer box in the prim description when I'm packing it, so I know exactly where to place the box when I want to rez everything again. That way everything rezzes exactly where I want the first try. There are other rezzer systems available and some prefer to just target everything and pick up as a coalesced object and then drop and move into place that way. Oh and I never leave my no copy items out when I'm packing up things as I will most likely want to use them somewhere else.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Hi.  While in your home parcel,  you select your 'About: Land' and select the 'Objects' tab.  There is a selection for all owner objects in the parcel, select return to owner and all your stuff will be packaged up in their present locations.  to unpack, you have to go to a sandbox and open it there and then grab all of it back one by one

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

I use the CasperTech Rez2 system. It is free at his shop. It's very simple to use and works like a charm. I always store the exact coords of the location of the rezzer box in the prim description when I'm packing it, so I know exactly where to place the box when I want to rez everything again. That way everything rezzes exactly where I want the first try. There are other rezzer systems available and some prefer to just target everything and pick up as a coalesced object and then drop and move into place that way. Oh and I never leave my no copy items out when I'm packing up things as I will most likely want to use them somewhere else.

I never used such a system. How does it work? Do you have to put scripts into every single item? That would be a lot of nuissance.

Just now, Leora Jacobus said:

I never used such a system. How does it work? Do you have to put scripts into every single item? That would be a lot of nuissance.

You drop a script in the root prim of each link set. So, if like me you link lots of things to save land impact then you don't have all that many scripts to drop.

• Like 2

Or you can just rez out a box at the corner of your house... grab everything in a big group set... just make sure that box is the very last object that you gather into your groupset... now when you rez it that single box will help you turn and lay down all your stuf

Oh one more thing... before you rez that group back out make sure you go into EDIT on some object first... you MUST be in edit BEFORE you rez that big grouped together bunch of junk

Edited by Evangeline Ling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Evangeline Ling said:

Or you can just rez out a box at the corner of your house... grab everything in a big group set... just make sure that box is the very last object that you gather into your groupset... now when you rez it that single box will help you turn and lay down all your stuf

Oh one more thing... before you rez that group back out make sure you go into EDIT on some object first... you MUST be in edit BEFORE you rez that big grouped together bunch of junk

This, and name that box something descriptive (other than "object") to make it easier to recall what it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

You drop a script in the root prim of each link set. So, if like me you link lots of things to save land impact then you don't have all that many scripts to drop.

I'm still a bit confused about all this (got the Casper system but still wasn't very sure what I was doing).

For example if I had a toaster, a couch, 3 bookshelves in various positions, some wall decor on each wall and some rugs (random example!:) ) and I wanted them to be in the same position when I rez them again ( so wall decor on the right walls etc.), I would just select all the items, link them, then the script goes into the last item I linked selected before linking (or the first?). Then I take to inventory. When I rez the linked group everything will be in the right place?

I don't quite understand how the box helps - is it that you just put the box back in the same position as it was taken, thereby making sure everything else is in the same position?

Overall, it just seems a bit tedious having to select everything in my home. I'm sure I'm gonna make a mistake and miss things lol. Guess I could just do it in sections or something though...

39 minutes ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

Overall, it just seems a bit tedious having to select everything in my home. I'm sure I'm gonna make a mistake and miss things lol. Guess I could just do it in sections or something though...

That's what I do, just one room at a time. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

I'm still a bit confused about all this (got the Casper system but still wasn't very sure what I was doing).

For example if I had a toaster, a couch, 3 bookshelves in various positions, some wall decor on each wall and some rugs (random example!:) ) and I wanted them to be in the same position when I rez them again ( so wall decor on the right walls etc.), I would just select all the items, link them, then the script goes into the last item I linked selected before linking (or the first?). Then I take to inventory. When I rez the linked group everything will be in the right place?

I don't quite understand how the box helps - is it that you just put the box back in the same position as it was taken, thereby making sure everything else is in the same position?

1. Rez out the rez box or create your own and drop in the two scripts found in the premade rez box. Copy the exact position of the box into the description field of the box for future reference.

2. Drop in a tracker script into the root prim of each linkset. Pair.

3. When you think you have everything paired, click on the rez box and select test. It will raise everything that's been paired into the sky so you can see if you've missed anything. Once you're satisfied that you've paired all the parts you want to be included in the rezzer,

3. make a copy of each linkset. Drop the all the copies into the rez box. 

If you're just backing up the build then you're basically done and can finalize the box. If you're wanting to clear out that build to start a new project, then you will want to remove all those linksets you copied that are still rezzed in world.

The Casper website has all these instructions given in detail. This is just a brief description of how I use it, but please remember I'm not associated with Casper in any way. I just use the product.

My bolded response is a direct response to the part of your comment that I also bolded. The test function is one of my favorite aspects of the Casper system.

• Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

1. Rez out the rez box or create your own and drop in the two scripts found in the premade rez box. Copy the exact position of the box into the description field of the box for future reference....

Thanks so much for the detailed reply! I'll make a note of all this and take another look as soon as I can. I did look at the Casper instructions on the website but I think this will help with that, so great, thank you:)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

The Box is a position marker... if you locate that box in a visible position in the house that you could move it to again... when you move that group set around after rerezing it in edit mode... you just rotate and move that cluster of objects paying attention to the location of that box... provided its the same type of house all your stuff should be located in the same spot.  And yes you could do this in several groupings or one big group whatever is easier... To me this is far easier then dropping scripts in objects and packing into a rezzer box. And if you miss something its not a huge deal I probably missed a couple of objects on my last move... i just found those objects individually and rezzed them back out.  

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

This, and name that box something descriptive (other than "object") to make it easier to recall what it is.

I don't think you can rename coalesced objects, can you? (It's been too long, sorry). Thing is, you can't reposition those, using numerical values (like filling in X, Y, Z components): you can only drag it -- which inevitably spells 'imprecise placement.' And 'restore to last known position' doesn't work at Bellisseria.

Like I mentioned, for a free system, I recommend the one at the Builders Brewery (BB) group. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

I don't think you can rename coalesced objects, can you? (It's been too long, sorry).

Only if ALL objects in the group are mod (which is fairly unlikely unless it is your own creations).  You could "rename" the last object selected (root) BEFORE taking up. As I stated in my tutorial I put the coalesced group in a FOLDER that I have given an appropriate name like "backup June Pottery Shop) etc. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

I don't think you can rename coalesced objects, can you? (It's been too long, sorry). Thing is, you can't reposition those, using numerical values (like filling in X, Y, Z components): you can only drag it -- which inevitably spells 'imprecise placement.' And 'restore to last known position' doesn't work at Bellisseria.

Like I mentioned, for a free system, I recommend the one at the Builders Brewery (BB) group. 

I meant you rename the final box before you pick it up. :)

ETA: And that is yet another trick that I learned from @Pamela Galli's website. 

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread but I feel it is still very usefull.

Just now I am going to abandon a Stilt on Pier that I had allready partly furnished and move into another empty one. Contrary to many here I do not enjoy furnishing. I find it tedious to push around items till they are in the exact place I want them to be. So I try to backup my furnishing and just rerezz it.

Quite a lot of the items can be linked together (which even saves prims). To place them I link them all to a bright pink anchor- prim which I have placed very exactly in the entrance door.

grafik.thumb.png.231032e69add8e51eae04ad5d2e6a0e7.png

It has to be the LAST prim, making it the root prim. Now I can take a copy and rerezz the thing in the new home. Usually I have to change the angle, but as soon as I fiddeled this one Prim exaxtly into place all the rest is positioned as it should. Then I can unlink just this one (edit - edit liked parts - choose it - unlink - delete).

Only problem is that you should never link animated furniture. So all beds, chais, couches, many kitchen pieces, bathtubs and so on can not be handeled this way. Now I invented a workaround: I edit the sofa, noting down its angle and postion (x y z), then take it away. Now I replace it with a green cube (named sofa) and give that the exact same angle and xyz position. I do the same with every animated piece there is ... now I can link all these green cubes to my linkset. Take a copy, bring it to the new home, position the whole linkset ... and then one after the other unlink these cubes and replace them with the furniture,.

Sounds like a lot of work but is much quicker than puting everything in its place by hand ... at least for me!

PS: There is a Thread about this by @Chic Aeonlinked above in this thread ... I just pushed it up a bit. It should not sink into oblivion.

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Leora Jacobus said:

PS: There is a Thread about this by @Chic Aeonlinked above in this thread ... I just pushed it up a bit. It should not sink into oblivion.

Thanks.  My only important comment is that if you LINK your items rather than taking them up in a "soft linked" coalesced form you can have major problems if the furniture is made of several parts for each piece (which is often the case).  So "I" still think the coalesced method is best :D.  Of COURSE I DO!!!   LOL.

I put the link to the article I made long ago over in my blog's sidebar so it was easy to find.  Here it is for anyone moving OR just wanting to back up their items (basically what the article is about).   Remember that no copy items should be taken up separately in most cases (unless you are very brave) :D.

https://chicatphilsplace.blogspot.com/2019/05/home-and-garden-backups.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Thanks.  My only important comment is that if you LINK your items rather than taking them up in a "soft linked" coalesced form you can have major problems if the furniture is made of several parts for each piece (which is often the case).

Maybe I do not understand what you mean. I never link animated furniture - just a cube- dummy as place marker.

I do link not animated furniture such as cupboards or kitchens or flowers or deco though most of these things consist of more that one prim but of course I know I cannot UNLINK them again because then they fall to pieces. I merely unlink by "edit linked parts" the pink anchor prim and the green placeholder dummies the rest stays linked ... which also saves landimpact. Is that not right?

Just now, Leora Jacobus said:

Maybe I do not understand what you mean. I never link animated furniture - just a cube- dummy as place marker.

I do link not animated furniture such as cupboards or kitchens or flowers or deco though most of these things consist of more that one prim but of course I know I cannot UNLINK them again because then they fall to pieces. I merely unlink by "edit linked parts" the pink anchor prim and the green placeholder dummies the rest stays linked ... which also saves landimpact. Is that not right?

What I was warning about is linking a bunch of furniture together that is ALREADY a bunch of pieces, like this table I bought yesterday.  

outlet%2Bporch.jpg

So as an example. The table set is ALREADY made up of nine objects (the foliage is several of those).   Then if you linked it to the baskets and foliage hanging above and the plants in the back corner that you can see that would be over 20 separate pieces in what we consider three objects.  So if you want to move something later or remove something it can get VERY MESSY.  

Basically "I" never link items together unless I am on a strict prim budget and need to play the link-to-save-land-impact game. Even then I sometimes cringe because later I want to move something over "just a bit" and have to edit nine pieces in order to do that rather than just dragging the object as purchased (linked but only to itself) over. 

If your method works great for you, that's super and all that really matters. Just didn't want folks to start linking the whole house together (people have done this in the past) and then find out what a mess that can be :D.  

So yes, as far as I can see it is right, just was confusing when I was reading your post and possibly confusing to others.  So maybe between both of our posts ALL WILL BE CLEAR for those not used to doing this :D.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see your point @Chic Aeon and you are quite right there: Once a linkset is linked you can only use it as it is and put it in any house of the same type anywhere as it is and by doing that furnish a new home real quick, but if you plan to change it that will be difficult.

So my method is only good for me and people like me: people who often swap plots and do not enjoy furnishing them, people who think: "thank God! Now I finally figured out the perfect decoration of a Traditional Continental (or of a Houseboat Evening Star) so lets put a backup of this into my inventory and be furnished within minutes next time I move into one of these!"

... plus save landimpact for I only live in Lindenhomes and am constantly short of that! ;)

PS: an alternative (rather risky) way to do it: put the whole linkset into your new home and unlink it alltogether ... lots of little pieces but all in the right place! If you lateron want to push over your flowertable just a little bit first link it ... then move it or replace it! If you want to take everything away and start anew: just send EVERYTHING back into your inventory by using the landmenue... and delete the resulting bundle! :)

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.