The SL website.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1755 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, ThorinII said:

stop, listen and read the info given to them.

If you can find a way to get a customer to read all the info I have spamming out when they arrive at the skybox section of my store let me know!   I've got a big box with INFO written on it, another sign above the area saying to check out the info card before using the demo, and a message comes up in chat when they land. Still, I get these messages indicating they didn't read anything :(

I think, generally, people just go into 'visual mode' in SL and don't like to read.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I'm not at all suggesting it's going to be any easy feat to market and/or make the new user experience better. 

Just out of curiosity, though... how many of you know who Shari Bryant is? NO CHEATING BY GOOGLING HER.

I had no clue and I googled and found several so I still have no clue. Are we talking about the celebutant daughter of some athlete? Or the beloved wife, aunt daughter who passed away? Or the music exec?

Edited by kali Wylder
reasons

9 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

I had no clue and I googled and found several so I still have no clue are we talking about the celebutant daughter of some athlete? Or the beloved wife, aunt daughter who passed away? Or the music exec?

She's the head of LL's strategic business development and marketing. 

Is there a Shari Linden? Has anyone ever spotted her? 

Has she ever read these forums or even logged into SL? 

26 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

I will do anything but read!

I'm quite the opposite. Whenever something piques my interest, I read about it (from different sources, even) and try to learn as much as I can about it.

Heck, I even read the ToS thoroughly before I created my first account

Edited by ThorinII

1 hour ago, KanryDrago said:

Personally what I would do is have a tablet like object that each new resident gets.

Not an object (i lost my guide, help), build it into the viewer and make it a persistent 'fold out' panel, put in an option in to 'hide the guide' somewhere in prefs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

She's the head of LL's strategic business development and marketing. 

Is there a Shari Linden? Has anyone ever spotted her? 

Has she ever read these forums or even logged into SL? 

Odds are she's used an alt if she's been in SL. Going around as a Linden won't help you learn what it's like in SL.

Also, there's a Meet the Lindens blog post out ... most of the Lindens covered in the post were residents of SL before they became Lindens.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

I agree with this. 

When I first joined I spent a majority of my time at NCI Kuula (New Citizens Incorporated) which was basically a place where a lot of noobs hung out and asked questions to the few established Residents that sat with us. There were signs EVERYWHERE, many adverts for free and very dated stuff, a few maps, a  photo booth, a slow balloon ride over part of a region, and a sandbox across the road. I sat there every day playing hangman watching people come and go and learning the basics that way. I didn't even really know the website existed beyond the initial registration/log in process and didn't know about the forums either. Everything I learned was done on the fly and usually by accident. That's no way to keep people in world.

I think it's lazy to assume 'if you build it, they will come'. As stated, not everyone has a great imagination or attention span. The more you give people to read, the more they will ignore. The more videos they have to watch, the more they will skip. If there's too much information before they even get in world they just won't bother; they'll be overwhelmed. It's the same experience with a lot of RP regions I've visited over the years; if there's too much lore to have to get through just to get my foot in the door, guess what, I'm not sticking around. So there needs to be some kind of balance between what information is given on the website and how much is given (and HOW it's given) in world.

Ease of access is also another issue. Sometimes it can be hard to find information right now as a resident who has been here many years. But I agree that the learning island is just... too much, and doesn't cover a lot of aspects that are relevant today. There's so much to learn and while no one is expected to grasp it all in one sitting, getting access to the right information in general still feels like it's lagging behind. 😟

NCI Kuula was also my playpen....  :)

• Like 1

And then we get to fashion .. and you get this. Whatever and whoever this is supposed to attract is beyond me. No one is dressing like this. No one is buying this. No one wants to join SL so they can wear their hair backwards, dressed in a bin bag with a dish cloth.

7zsOj6v.png

Howls !  For what it's worth.

4 hours ago, rasterscan said:

And then we get to fashion .. and you get this. Whatever and whoever this is supposed to attract is beyond me. No one is dressing like this. No one is buying this. No one wants to join SL so they can wear their hair backwards, dressed in a bin bag with a dish cloth.

7zsOj6v.png

Howls !  For what it's worth.

I actually really love Absinthe's style.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

I gave you a like, because the video is really great. But if you look at the outfits that are being posted, I can understand why people say no one wears this in SL. And even if they do, it will be a really small group who does. There are many people making much better photos/pics then used by LL. I think that is the point made here. 

Edited by AidySL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Amazing how many of the avs in that resemble their human counter parts quite closely. Kinda pulls the plug on what someone said the other day about no one looking like their avatar. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Amazing how many of the avs in that resemble their human counter parts quite closely. Kinda pulls the plug on what someone said the other day about no one looking like their avatar. 

Not really .. just the usual selection bias at work.

2 hours ago, AidySL said:

But if you look at the outfits that are being posted, I can understand why people say no one wears this in SL. And even if they do, it will be a really small group who does. 

It was a small group of us (I'm in that video too) who wore clothing like that, but not as an everyday thing. We mainly wore it for competitions, runway shows or magazine spreads.   At least clothing like this was available to be worn if one wanted to wear/buy it. 

On 6/21/2019 at 9:56 AM, CoffeeDujour said:
  • Social .. seems not to give any information about the social aspects of SL. Where are all the pictures of groups of people being social. Why isn't this page just titled "YOU CAN MAKE FRIENDS HERE". Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Jo Yardley is a wonderful person, but I've never even met her in SL. Now I'm just wondering, is this just a badly titled quest .. To find the social, one must first find @Jo Yardley for she has the answers.

Just for the record, I am a wonderful person and I do have the answers.
Fact.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1755 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.