Camping Tonight? New Homes Preview Comments and Photos

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1723 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

trailer.thumb.png.862253a6fd640b222ddb50fc5d4e4ab9.png

I LOVE this style. I think it was the Newport? I love the details included too. I wish there was an option to grunge it up, but honestly was VERY sincerely impressed. I really like the fact it's so small and feels a lot more realistic (though not as cramped as RL) compared to the houses of the past. I don't know at what point having so much room and empty space was the "in" thing for SL, but I'm so glad that finally we're starting to see an improvement to overall dimensions, and yes, detail.  The landscaping was gorgeous too with the winding dirt roads and lots of vegetation and hills. I even loved the little details such as the bug zapper on the picnic table and the little sandwiches at the picnic baskets! The Moles and Lindens are doing an outstanding job!

Very, very impressed!

Edited by RaeLeeH
  • Like 12

39 minutes ago, WillowTenage said:

I just had a fun stroll through the camp again.  I took a video of it this time :)

It is a bit of a walk, but you can get a demo horse to travel sl16b in, I grabbed one while exploring and had to hit the trails.  It was really fun 😁   Grab one, take a few pictures, and share them here :)

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SL16B Captivate/70/143/23

Thank you for yet another lovely video. ❤️ They did an amazing job landscaping those hills. Almost looks inhabited already.

P.S. Were you able to ascertain the prim allowance for these trailer parcels too? If not, that's okay, we'll find out soon enough. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Thank you for yet another lovely video. ❤️ They did an amazing job landscaping those hills. Almost looks inhabited already.

P.S. Were you able to ascertain the prim allowance for these trailer parcels too? If not, that's okay, we'll find out soon enough. :)

Aww :) Thank you.  They did an amazing job, didn't they?  I've spent a lot of time there fishing, and wandering around, it is so peaceful.  I can't wait to see them on our continent, I'll have to save up for a horse.   

I'm really thinking these are going to be 512s, I think a lot of the landscape is going to cost the region quite a few LI points.  That is a complete guess on my part though.   I'm hoping that all of the outdoor furniture we see, is included in the package too :)

Edited by WillowTenage
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WillowTenage said:

Aww :) Thank you.  They did an amazing job, didn't they?  I've spent a lot of time there fishing, and wandering around, it is so peaceful.  I can't wait to see them on our continent, I'll have to save up for a horse.   

I'm really thinking these are going to be 512s, I think a lot of the landscape is going to cost the region quite a few LI points.  That is a complete guess on my part though.   I'm hoping that all of the outdoor furniture we see, is included in the package too :)

Why, thank you again for that wonderful vid... and the horse you rode in on. 😜 Seriously, thx for sharing.

As for the parcels, you make an excellent point: what with so many trees and 'clutter' lying around, these almost have to be 512 plots (with 175 prim). And yes, I feel the outdoor furniture is an integral part of the scenery: would be a real shame if they didn't include it. But they probably did. :)

• Like 1

At the camper display the furniture is pretty LI heavy though (save for the stumps which were from memory 1 LI each), but then the pack we got in Bellisseria is pretty LI heavy too. But when you check the name of all the décor, the stumps, the tire planter, the chairs, the fire pits, it all seems similarly named, meaning I think there's a fair chance it will be included in the trailer pack as the walls, fence posts, and planters were in the traditional homes release. I could be wrong of course, speculation is what we do best here after all ;) 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

cameraoffsetrear.thumb.png.e3dfa46a71739dd077ee29b6cb3d22dd.png

There are a fair number of tutorials on setting you camera settings.  Once you do the small trailers aren't near as "small" :D  I only changed my rear view as that is how I normally watch myself if I am not working or taking photos. You can revert back to the default easily.

Thanks Chic for the info - I am going to give that a try.

15 hours ago, RacyAcey said:

I totally agree.....I need more room to walk around in...in SL.....in RL - I would love to live in a Tiny House or Trailer.....but in SL - it is hard to move my camera around in a small space.....I am not that savy with camera settings....perhaps it is possible.....but I have no clue how to do it any differently.

It will be nice if the campgrounds are near our current homes.....a wonderful place to go walking, bike riding or horse riding around.

This is one of my major gripes in SL as well (way beyond a 'pet peeve'): constantly having a wall inside my face, in small spaces.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I really don't like mouselook either, but once you learn how to reset your camera angle/distance the whole world changes. I fixed mine years ago!!

Yes, this. I keep those settings in a pick for others to use also. That default viewer is just stupid. 

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I hate mouselook.  I was never one to play all of the various first person view type games.  If SL had only been mouselook view, I probably would not have stayed

Same! I avoid using it at all costs (luckily, I do not feel the need to use weapons). 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 6/22/2019 at 4:32 AM, RaeLeeH said:

At the camper display the furniture is pretty LI heavy though (save for the stumps which were from memory 1 LI each), but then the pack we got in Bellisseria is pretty LI heavy too.

This reminds of something that struck me on Bellisseria i.e. the high LI of Linden items (landscaping props etc.), I guess because they are made with prims? Is there a reason they couldn't be low LI mesh items? I'm guessing as mesh they may take longer to rez if someone has minimal hardware and graphics card, is that a correct assumption? I'm so used to buying low LI items (like 1L, or 3L) I would have thought LL would go that way, especially with big builds like homes.  Curious to know why they haven't. 

1 hour ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

This reminds of something that struck me on Bellisseria i.e. the high LI of Linden items (landscaping props etc.), I guess because they are made with prims? Is there a reason they couldn't be low LI mesh items? I'm guessing as mesh they may take longer to rez if someone has minimal hardware and graphics card, is that a correct assumption? I'm so used to buying low LI items (like 1L, or 3L) I would have thought LL would go that way, especially with big builds like homes.  Curious to know why they haven't. 

I think @Fionalein is right in that the majority are mesh not prims. I'm not 100% sure but I think it could have to do with a higher LOD (Level of Detail) count. The higher an object's LOD = the heavier the Land Impact (but I could be wrong on that).

Having a higher LOD (especially with buildings) matters so that objects don't appear distorted on lower-end graphics settings, or at a low draw distance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RaeLeeH said:

I think @Fionalein is right in that the majority are mesh not prims. I'm not 100% sure but I think it could have to do with a higher LOD (Level of Detail) count. The higher an object's LOD = the heavier the Land Impact (but I could be wrong on that).

Having a higher LOD (especially with buildings) matters so that objects don't appear distorted on lower-end graphics settings, or at a low draw distance.

Not exactly correct but the idea is there.   High LOD items (ones that hold their shape from a distance for those who have their LOD viewer settings at 2 or 1.25 or 1) "CAN be higher land impact but aren't necessarily. There are plenty of technical reasons and methods for getting long LOD items with low land impact and those interested can peruse older threads on the MESH forum (not much going on there lately as I guess many folks have learned which is good). 

You can have a high LOD item that holds its shape at a long distance and is still 1 land impact (or less such as .5). Having a low DRAW DISTANCE will make items disappear quicker no matter their LOD. If you have your viewer set at 32 draw dostance say, items will not be viewable if they are further than that distance (so not an LOD issue at all and a cube will disappear as well as mesh). 

While having LODs that hold their shape at a long distance is very important and likely part of the issue with the land impact of many Mole-made items, many of us -- when the houses and houseboats were unveiled --  questioned the need for such high land impact numbers since similar houses can be made with the same long distance holding powers and about half the LIs. Likely that thread is around somewhere from last Spring.  

I will say that while the trees are very "heavy" LI wise, they are great at holding their LODS (something most trees don't do all that well). The houses? I am not so sure about the NEED of those high LI numbers.  

I don't collect Linden gifts as a rule but I did get the Swaganator items from SL16B and was -- like many others who have commented over the years here -- surprised at the very high land impact costs of most items. This method of making mesh, again as others have been saying for years, cause the items to be pretty much unusable. Things that could have been 1 land impact and STILL hold their shape well were up to 12 times higher (that if I remember correctly as I deleted them since I knew I would never use them).  In that one case I am remembering the mesh was made up of a cluster of items rather than joined into one mesh before exporting. That was unusual also. I have no clue as to the reasoning.    

So far as the houses and houseboats are concerned, the high LI doesn't HURT the plot owners as the buildings don't count against the 351 land impact of the plot. And since it is Linden Lab's project -- they of course are in charge of how they want things made. In the case of gifts, though it is a little sad as most will never be used.   

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1723 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.