Profiles Updates needed

Ninna Dazy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1676 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Happy birthday Second Life!

I wish LL would update how Profiles of Residents look like. Since im playing SL ( 12 years ), profiles look the same, have same pages and options. 

How about give us options to choose color, font and texture of our profiles? Or to have option what we want to put on 1st page, what on last page. Now, when you open any profile, Partner box is what catches eye first. it gives impression that SL is only dating site, and thats not true. Many people are here for creativity and fun. Many would like to see something else on  1st page of profile. 

I think that any update, any change, any new option to create personal profile would be good. What do you guys think?

• Like 3

I'm not opposed to an update to the profile layout, but you can do quite a lot with it as it is, and I wouldn't want LL to steer their developers towards it before they deliver some other features that we've been promised. ... ... Bakes on mesh.

• Like 1

We need a new tab in the profiles named "Family". :P

Why? Because now the "Picks" tab is totally ruined from its original intent because lots of people use it for listing their loved ones and family members and what not. Argghh... ¬¬

The original intent for the "Picks" is clearly stated in the profile Picks tab: "Tell everyone about your favorite places in Second Life."
It does not say "Use it for any purpose what comes to your mind."

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Parhelion Palou said:

If so, I'd like it to have an option to check "Not Applicable".

Curmudgeon alert!!

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Yeesh. I really shouldn't be posting on a half bottle of wine, should I?
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Curmdgeon alert!!

Get off my lawn! Actually, the idea was to mark it as not applicable so the tab doesn't show to other people. Saves time when going through a profile.

ETA: However, it would be useful for showing additional picks.

Edited by Parhelion Palou
Additional idea
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Parhelion Palou said:

ETA: However, it would be useful for showing additional picks.

Nasty.

I can see why you gave Maddy her devil outfit: you are clearly a corrupter of youth, a debaucher of good ideas, and a general, all-round badnic.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Haha 3

hmmm... well nobody looks at the interests tab or the classified tab, so I say replace with "special people" tab and "thoughts" for the other. Each with 10 available picks like what we have now. Then we'd have those along with the picks for favorite places. Yes, that's a lot of stuff, but either people will use them or they won't, same as now with what we have. It just gives more options, and is fodder for us profile pervs :)

I don't like the idea of fonts and colors though. I can see some people making headache inducing flashy attention getting look at me I'm so special garbage.... The format now is nice and easy to read and see.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

If it will enable people to use comic sans and color variations, will you still not be opposed?

ℑ𝔱 𝔴𝔦𝔩𝔩 𝔥𝔢𝔩𝔭 𝔪𝔢 𝔨𝔫𝔬𝔴 𝔱𝔬 𝔥𝔲𝔯𝔱 𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔪.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, Morena Tully said:

hmmm... well nobody looks at the interests tab or the classified tab, so I say replace with "special people" tab and "thoughts" for the other. Each with 10 available picks like what we have now. Then we'd have those along with the picks for favorite places. Yes, that's a lot of stuff, but either people will use them or they won't, same as now with what we have. It just gives more options, and is fodder for us profile pervs :)

I don't like the idea of fonts and colors though. I can see some people making headache inducing flashy attention getting look at me I'm so special garbage.... The format now is nice and easy to read and see.

Very true about the classified tab. I don’t recall ever seeing anything in that tab in all the years I’ve been perving profiles. 

I’m always pleasantly surprised when someone’s picks tab has actual interesting locations listed. 

I like profiles as they are but that doesn't mean they can't be improved.  How about a few more characters in the biog sections and make profile pictures a little larger, so we don't need to click on them to enlarge, which doesn't always work. 

Group profiles could also be improved, with maybe a feed similar to what individual profiles have, where members could post comments and photos.  That would need to be an optional feature controlled by the owners or other designated officials 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Dealbreaker: 

• BUG-227051 [Viewer Profile Project] Private notes are not saved for another avatar

It is imperative that I am able to make all those derogatory notations for insult-ammunition should this person annoy me next year, or further into the future, etc.

14 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Nasty.

I can see why you gave Maddy her devil outfit: you are clearly a corrupter of youth, a debaucher of good ideas, and a general, all-round badnic.

Maddy is over a decade younger than me, but I'm not sure that qualifies as youth. (Dropping some Maddy-bait: I'd say she's around 29.) As for badnic, I prefer "Allow me to introducing myself. I am Boris Badenov, world's greatest no-goodnik."

SL is full of corrupted good ideas ... LL gives us a new thing and we twist it into something they never expected. Then again, not all of their ideas qualify as good ... maybe we made their ideas better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2019 at 1:56 AM, Coby Foden said:

We need a new tab in the profiles named "Family". :P

Why? Because now the "Picks" tab is totally ruined from its original intent because lots of people use it for listing their loved ones and family members and what not. Argghh... ¬¬

The original intent for the "Picks" is clearly stated in the profile Picks tab: "Tell everyone about your favorite places in Second Life."
It does not say "Use it for any purpose what comes to your mind."

Its not just the family people, I've rarely seen anyone using it for its original purpose.

14 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Its not just the family people, I've rarely seen anyone using it for its original purpose.

Yep, it's just random stuff, some SL interests, preferences in roleplaying and things like that. Creators also often use them for FAQ, links and more store related things. Which actually makes total sense to me, because 2nd life tab has a rather short characters limit with no chances to put anything, but most basic things there. And even if it weren't limited, I'd rather glance through a few separate tabs/picks which (hopefully) have appropriate titles, than try to find what interests me in one giant wall of text.

Maybe with that legacy profiles'  "grand comeback" LL can add another separate tab to profiles named "interests" or something like that, where people would be able to add more info about themselves without having to use the picks. Although I'm sure people would run out of space there and use picks for it anyway, so probably no point to even bother.

• 3 months later...

Having looked at the Project legacy Browser. The profile resembles the legacy (old) profile. Which looks exactly like the Firestorm Profile, with the exception that one of the tabs has been renamed 'Real' which is usually used for real life photo/info so far. Also photos seem to enlarge to their native resolution which is good too. I think starting with the legacy profile format is better than the modern profile (as it displays immediately more information on screen for the space it uses onscreen).

I think a family tab would be useful for those of us that have them in RPG sims, as it can be quite difficult figuring out your nieces/nephews from your uncles/aunts and grandparents; sons/daughters, grandchildren.

For group profiles, about with notifications/events must be first and foremost, as I initially had to be directed to the notifications section when I first joined a group, and the information there is invaluable for knowing actual group activities in advance which allows you to plan your time better, and therefore involve you more in group activities! Membership/who's who listings should be secondary. Actual whataboutery and functionality of groups should prioritise over who runs them in group profile listings. So that when you look at a group you know instantly whether they hold activities inworld or are just for chat only, both of which have their roles/uses.

The use of small images alongside notifications is an easy/useful quick way of identifying events that peak your interest the most as well, and when you open up the event/notification, it would be good to display it like an actual inworld notification when viewing it for the sake of familiarity and thus ease of reading, rather than just a squishy, scrolly note.

My opinions are based on what it is like to be in a group as a user. Perhaps others that run groups should also have their say, so long as their practicalities do not destroy the actual group users experiences of accessibility to their groups.

A major bugbear is that the time of events should be displayed clearly in a separate line box at the bottom of notifications, rather than hidden in the middle of the notification text where you have to hunt around for it.

** Also it would be great if that time could be optionally displayed in real time to the user reading it from whichever country they are in so they can set the event to their own Real Life clock (i.e. display PDT or Actual time in Properties somewhere, where you have selected your timezone). Now THAT would be MAGNIFICENT and increase user interactions within groups immensely, rather than having to do the maths every single time you want to attend an activity. **

Edited by Decro Schmooz

1 hour ago, Decro Schmooz said:

** Also it would be great if that time could be optionally displayed in real time to the user reading it from whichever country they are in so they can set the event to their own Real Life clock (i.e. display PDT or Actual time in Properties somewhere, where you have selected your timezone)

i vote for this

what I would like with this is that everywhere in the viewer where a datetime is displayed then the Preferences options are:  SL Time. Local Time or Both. Where Both displays both datetimes

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1676 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.