How do bots increase your visits when they never move?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Jaime Spingflower said:

There is a sim with 19 bots and if you do a BTB Gor search, they are showing 40,000 visitors which puts them at the top of the search.  I am just curious how that works, if anyone knows.

the mistake many people make is thinking that traffic, as shown on the landtab, is the same as vistors ... and it isn't  :)
The traffic, very basic in short: the total time spend by visiting avatars, and only counting after being there for a short while, not just hop in and you have numbers added, they have to stay around for a good amount of time.
A visitor count doesn't care for the time being there... hop in and you have one more on the numbers, there's only one thing that some who count their visitors do very well... they filter all double visits out during a certain set time. Lets say you tp in 5 times that day, will count as only one.

34 minutes ago, Fox Wijaya said:

the mistake many people make is thinking that traffic, as shown on the landtab, is the same as vistors ... and it isn't  :)
The traffic, very basic in short: the total time spend by visiting avatars, and only counting after being there for a short while, not just hop in and you have numbers added, they have to stay around for a good amount of time.
A visitor count doesn't care for the time being there... hop in and you have one more on the numbers, there's only one thing that some who count their visitors do very well... they filter all double visits out during a certain set time. Lets say you tp in 5 times that day, will count as only one.

Thank you Fox...that makes sense, because the bots just stand there 24 hours a day which drives up the numbers.  I spoke to a few sim owners who didn't know that.  I wish the Lindens would change that.

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

If anything, bots reduce "traffic". What @Fox Wijaya says notwithstanding, if I pop into a place and see AFKers or Bots, then I immediately TP back out. I'm sure I speak for a lot of others who do the same.

Yeah, I do the same...the other thing I wonder about, is why would you have only bots in a rp sim.   People come to roleplay so of course they won't stay without someone there that is active.  I'm speaking of The City of *** btw.

Edited by Jaime Spingflower

1 minute ago, Jaime Spingflower said:

I wish the Lindens would change that.

they díd change that. Traffic bots are not allowed since years, and so reportable by AR.
Bots need to be registered as so at the accountpage, if so, they aren't counted as traffic.

b4268fd8d418b0eda334ddc5411d783d.png

ps.. in your last post you put the place name, better remove it, reports go between you and LL, naming on the forums isn't allowed.

1 minute ago, moirakathleen said:

Traffic reasons may not be the only reason one has what appear to be bots on their parcel all the time.  I seem to remember someone mentioning they had a lot of alts on their parcel all the time because they were all playing Tiny Empires.   

So... one type of gaming a system to gaming a different system, but still trying to game a system, then. Gotcha.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

Traffic reasons may not be the only reason one has what appear to be bots on their parcel all the time.  I seem to remember someone mentioning they had a lot of alts on their parcel all the time because they were all playing Tiny Empires.   

yes, nothing wrong with those, unless.. that parcel also has a commercial activity .. just a horde players of TE on a random parcel is fine.

Just now, Alyona Su said:

So... one type of gaming a system to gaming a different system, but still trying to game a system, then. Gotcha.

It really depends though on whether the parcel they were on was set to be in search, and if so, whether the alts were registered as scripted agents or not.  So it may not have been applicable to this particular thread's perspective.

At the end of the day, if someone thinks someone has what appears to be traffic bots on a parcel set to search, they should simply report it and let LL sort it out. 

4 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

At the end of the day, if someone thinks someone has what appears to be traffic bots on a parcel set to search, they should simply report it and let LL sort it out. 

People do it all the time and it's obvious. Visiting places *found through Places Search* - seeing it in the list with high traffic count (35K or higher), seeing it on the map with LOTS of green dots (though it's easy to spot the AFK campers) - TP into the region, very quickly spot the bots. NO Active anyone anywhere on the region.

• Parcel or region shows in search? Check.
  • Bots set *not* set to scripted agent status? Check.
  • AFK camping devices (chairs, fishing simulator, dance poles, etc) so AFKers will help bots with traffic? Check.
  • High traffic count in Places search so advertiser are fooled into renting booths, even though no activity whatsoever? Check.

These places are easy to spot, many times just by viewing the map. And a TP to confirm is in-and-out within 10 seconds. So why bother going through the trouble of reporting it? ~shrugs~

1 minute ago, Alyona Su said:

These places are easy to spot, many times just by viewing the map. And a TP to confirm is in-and-out within 10 seconds. So why bother going through the trouble of reporting it? ~shrugs~

I was thinking of the various posts in the forums I've seen over time, of people complaining about traffic bots.  Clearly, if their existence at a location doesn't bother you, then there's no need for one to report it, but if one is bothered by it, reporting it is more likely to provide a better outcome than simply posting about it here.  

8 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

I was thinking of the various posts in the forums I've seen over time, of people complaining about traffic bots.  Clearly, if their existence at a location doesn't bother you, then there's no need for one to report it, but if one is bothered by it, reporting it is more likely to provide a better outcome than simply posting about it here.  

I concur (in my case, it's not worth the time, because whack-a-mole game) - I was just throwing into the thread for throwing into the thread sakes. LOL

46 minutes ago, Fox Wijaya said:

they díd change that. Traffic bots are not allowed since years, and so reportable by AR.
Bots need to be registered as so at the accountpage, if so, they aren't counted as traffic.

b4268fd8d418b0eda334ddc5411d783d.png

ps.. in your last post you put the place name, better remove it, reports go between you and LL, naming on the forums isn't allowed.

That would explain why they attacked me for asking if they were BOTS.  I did remove the city name, thanks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.