Attachment + HUD as one single item

MSTRPLN

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How does one create one object/item that will both attach a fully working HUD but also a avatar attachment? (without asking permission e.d.)

Example:
downloads.png.eb1e4271c0dd6c73d624d715f1ca7c6c.png

I've tried "edit" to do some research but i can't seem to select the bag.

Does anyone know more about this?

Exactly what Ruthven said. The rigged mesh is a part of the HUD.

However, the rigged mesh (bag in this case) is NOT visible to other avatars or detectable by other scripts, because HUDs are not public attachments.

Try attaching your mesh body to your HUD. You'll see it appear just fine, but you won't have a body on anyone else's screen.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

7 hours ago, Ruthven Willenov said:

The bag is probably rigged mesh, and linked to the HUD. Try editing the HUD, and the bag will probably highlight with it.

This is true, the bag is highlighted blue, however i don’t see how it’s attached since it doesnt appear in the inventory of the unpacker. Maybe loaded in by some uuid idk been a while since i’ve been into scripting. Thanks for you comment

• Lindens

This is somewhere between a bug and an unintended feature. To summarize what you've already figured out above: HUDs are visible only to the owner, and don't even get sent to other users. Normally HUDs are locked on the screen like other elements of the UI, so it's fairly clear that no one else can see them. But rigged meshes are displayed on the avatar, because they follow along with the avatar skeleton, so if a HUD includes rigged mesh, you get content that looks like it's on your avatar, but that only you can see.

This behavior was never intended, but since we don't have anything to prevent using rigged content as a HUD, it's possible to do. We're going to look into adding some warnings about this situation so people can tell when it happens.

30 minutes ago, Vir Linden said:

This behavior was never intended, but since we don't have anything to prevent using rigged content as a HUD, it's possible to do. We're going to look into adding some warnings about this situation so people can tell when it happens.

While this is fine, I would hope that nothing gets implemented to prevent/fix this particular bug.

It isn't / doesn't seem harmful, while it also has some niche utility to it (even beyond just unpackers).

40 minutes ago, Vir Linden said:

Wulfie - What are some of the niche applications? I normally assume that someone has found an intentional use for any feature, but couldn't think of one in this case.

All of the things I can think of are purely vanity, but any kind of item that could benefit from an asymmetrical view/experience could find this useful, though it's also limited to only being an attachment.

Hypothetically, I could create a pair of ghostly -- bento-rigged to some unused bones -- mesh arms that float around and annoy/harass/possess the wearer's avatar. (For this example, let's say this attachment comes with its own full AO.) The hands could do things like tap the avatar's shoulder, causing the avatar to flinch look over that shoulder. The wearer knows what's going on and can enjoy the interaction, while onlookers only see what looks like a paranoid avatar jumping at shadows because they literally cannot see the arms.

But if the avatar was only using an AO that made them look paranoid/posessed without other visuals even to the avatar's user, it would be a significantly less exciting product, in my opinion. As a real example of something similar, here's an AO that might benefit from something like that. (There's a demo in-world.) The avatar is constantly moving or tossed around like a ragdoll on strings. It looks pretty weird on its own.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.