Houseboat rotation

Evangeline Arcadia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Houseboat roation is briefly discussed in this thread

but I don't want to derail the the original subject, so starting this one here.

The houseboats are lovely, but the one gripe I really have with them is orientation of the 32x32 plots.  I really feel that all the houseboats on these plots would be better if they were turned 90 degrees so that these short sides with the  windows face outward to the water, rather than the long walls (i.e. just like the 16x32 ones are).

In all of them the floor to ceiling lovely windows (i.e. great view) are at the end short side of the boat, thus they face neighbours if you have boats on either side (even if you have only on one side you end up with your windows facing them). The Evening Star is not too bad because it has a couple of long windows on either wall so that gives somewhat of a good view from the inside.

Looking at the configurations of the walkway docks that surround the boats it should work (except for the Evening Star as the doors are on the side which would be facing out - but I'd be prepared to fly in instead!).(does work for Evening Star, see posts below). Yes you'd have a little less water space in the front but more at the side, so I don't think it's a loss there. I sized my Wallower with a prim and rotated it to see the spacing - see the pic below. You can see the prim surrounded with an orange boarder. The white borders are the water space around the houseboat with the new configuration, so you see it's still really good.

117494026_hboatorientationa.jpg.ac6b1a680fd18119f81e90f098c42034.jpg

In the above example the front door would now be on the walkway behind, the long windows now face out to the sea, and there are also a couple of long ones facing the plot water on the boats left side. So pretty nice all round.

I would have like to do examples for the other boats but don't want to mess up my home:) But I think you can see it would work. The worst one is the Windlass. The short front end with the windows looks onto your neighbours - example below.

2048969762_windlass1.JPG.5153b16b9518e8a08c5c169a8ec81533.JPG

193555479_windlass2.JPG.75eb5b61d791ac55dc80971e055299ee.JPG

This style would be soo much nicer rotated 90 anti-clockwise. If it was moved up against the right side walkway (bottom pic) then the stairs would still work.

I would love LL to give us the option of being able to rotate the boat as part of the houseboat controller options. I did submit a suggestion for this via Jira which came back as 'unactionable', but I'm not giving up hope that maybe something can be done!!

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
1) added Windlass pics 2) updated image
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Barnacle example: (I'm on a mission!!! 😁)

In the first pic below you can see the lovely long windows on both levels,  (front door is on the left in same direction as windows as you are looking at it) which face the houseboat next door!. If this was rotated 90 degrees anti-clockwise and up against the walkway on the right side looking at the pic, you can still use the door:

450845110_barnacle2.JPG.e08ceee34603ca1c0f2509b4988b69de.JPG

• Like 2

Forget it, I tried it with normal home that where complete not logic and useful placed. With result that the bug garden where placed at the ugly side. While the water view side do have the mailbox.

At the end I dropped the house. And think this last year premium for me. It does not add anything useful.

Evening Star: Again, I think it would be nicer to have it rotated 90 degrees so it's facing outward. However in this case that would mean the door as currently designed faces the water, but you can see on the left side of the boat there is access in the railings so if this was rotated and up against the walkway on the right (looking at the pic) you can still walk onto the boat! (would work if it was up against the walkway on the left too, as there is access in the railing on the other side also).

1948882694_eveningstar.JPG.43dc3bb8e6d58e6aa00c82c41704c391.JPG

So it would work for all the styles.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

Houseboat roation is briefly discussed in this thread

Thank you for your detailed work, preparing this demonstration. Whether they'll do something wit it remains to be seen, of course. :) 

P.S. Some of these boats appear really boxed in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Thank you for your detailed work, preparing this demonstration. Whether they'll do something wit it remains to be seen, of course. :) 

P.S. Some of these boats appear really boxed in. 

I would also like the boats to have the short end with the windows facing the water. I think I wrote it in the other thread. I agree that Evening Star is the best on the 32 x 32, because of the windows that can have blinds down on one side, and sill light and view on the 2 other sides.

You can be lucky with Wallover, if the corner windows has open view to one side.

• Like 1

I must add that I think it's too late to change this with the current boats. They can't rotate them now in a batch, imagine people log in and have to do all the decor over.

Using precious mole time to do the work on single parcels that request it... I have no idea how fast it would go, and the amount of work involved with the lifebuoy.

Maybe it could be done for a fee? So it's not wasted time for LL?

I would ask for this 90 turn to be implemented in the new boat places they build.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I must add that I think it's too late to change this with the current boats. They can't rotate them now in a batch, imagine people log in and have to do all the decor over.

Using precious mole time to do the work on single parcels that request it... I have no idea how fast it would go, and the amount of work involved with the lifebuoy.

Maybe it could be done for a fee? So it's not wasted time for LL?

I would ask for this 90 turn to be implemented in the new boat places they build.

Yes, sadly I'm not sure they can change the existing houseboats now:( I'm guessing there's no way they could change the permissions on them so that just rotation is available in Edit or via the controller for the home owner. I assume they can't make it that granular. I doubt also they'd do single requests - imagine if someone moves 3 or 4 times each time requesting the change...

I would seriously consider paying a fee though to make it worth their time though. It's a way for them to make some more money buy offering small changes like this. They could do the same for the traditional houses too. Or put the option in the super duper premium offering:)

Yes, hopefully if there are more houseboats coming (I assume there are in the rest of the continent yet to be made visible, juding from the SSP continent), I hope they'll consider this. Oh wait...then I'll have to risk losing my nice spot to move to get one in the next land grab!!....(heart sinks at the thought and ponders whether this thread was a good idea 😁).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

Houseboat roation

The houseboats are lovely, but the one gripe I really have with them is orientation of the 32x32 plots.

I'm not sure, it would improve the possibilities a lot, if the parcel would be oblong and the boats positioned as described it would be a bigger issue for me 
I'm not against a change, but wouldn't request it myself.

33d625197efe467e992f596e01fe639f.jpg

11e533f11a6d79cc798da0c4aabd2006.jpg

• Like 3

It can be much more visually appealing if the boats is not placed side by side like drawers. Notice how the three boats to the right is not looking straight into the neighbor. The left three ones have even more room around, and better view.

boats in a row_001.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

It can be much more visually appealing if the boats is not placed side by side like drawers.

Yet that is how it is usually done in RL... The pic you posted as better example shows something that would not be done in RL - RL would have many more houses stacked together and their boating piers seperated...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Yet that is how it is usually done in RL... The pic you posted as better example shows something that would not be done in RL - RL would have many more houses stacked together and their boating piers seperated...

Yes, I assume it is that way in SL too, because LL want as many homes as they can per sim.

I think old neighborhoods with their exiting irregularity is charming.

• Like 1

I had briefly mentioned this in another thread, but hadn't thought about a 90 degree turn for them all.  I'm on an end parcel, so my original comments on this were simply related to what my views were with the different houseboat styles.

However, a 90 degree turn would make a lot of sense in many situations.   Possibly the next rezzer version could give 2 options per boat, one rezzed as they are today and one rotated 90 degrees.  Wallower-1, Wallower-2, Barnacle-1, Barnacle-2, etc....

Barnacle works for my location and that is the style I'm wanting to use (for now), so I can deal with the current setup.  If I wasn't on an end, as much as I like everything else about the 32x32 parcels, I'd probably go back to a 16x64 parcel.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

However, a 90 degree turn would make a lot of sense in many situations.   Possibly the next rezzer version could give 2 options per boat, one rezzed as they are today and one rotated 90 degrees.  Wallower-1, Wallower-2, Barnacle-1, Barnacle-2, etc....

Great idea! Since they can update the houseboats with new versions perhaps adding an additional version  is a possibility...? (ahem...*coughs and nudges the post in @Patch Linden 's direction...*)

• Like 1

I would be absolutely distraught and livid if they changed the orientation of my boat on my 32x32 parcel. It is absolutely perfect facing just the way it is. 

Unfortunately, much like how they're releasing the homes, not everyone is going to like the choices LL and the Moles are making. I can sort of see the solution working if they made it a choice for residents to decide what way the boat faces but then my neighbors might change their orientation and ruin my views. I suppose I could live with that, though. 

But if I'm forced to change mine? No. There would be genuine tears and I really doubt @Quartz Mole wants to deal with that!

giphy.gif.b2ec491c5d09b073678072e56a7b4682.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Moles

Long ago, before any homes were even released, we considered a system that allowed residents to rotate and even move their homes on their parcel. Here are the problems we found:

It's very simple to move or rotate a house on your own land. You are the owner. You just edit it, grab a handle and pull. But Linden Homes are not owned by you and don't count against your Land Impact. They do this by keeping the center of the root in the linkset over our land, not yours. You rez them from a rezzer owned by us. For that system to work, it requires that the center of the root in the house linkset must always:

-be over land owned by the Governor and set to LDPW.
-be in the same region
-not be below grade

It also must:
-place the house where there is at least one clear point of entry
-place the house where there are no tree branches inside the home.

When we thought about this idea we quickly realized giving rotation or movement options complicated things greatly. In many cases moving or rotating the home broke one of these conditions. We already had dozens of regions laid out and built. Adding this feature would require essentially redoing most of them. In addition to that, we would also have to test each and every parcel for every possible condition. This would roughly double or even triple our necessary QA time due to the sheer number of possible configurations. It was decided that while this feature would be nice to have, the rework required coupled with restrictions on how parcels could be oriented and a massive increase in QA constituted a cost that did not exceed the benefit.

As far as houseboats go, houses require an unencumbered access point no matter which model you choose and it is essential that we have a set standard for where a house rezzes so we can built to that standard accordingly. In the case of houseboats the doors were not always in the same location or on the same side. This meant they had to be surrounded by docks on three sides and a standard configuration adopted that made sense in a majority of cases. So in some cases certain houses will have better "views" for a location than a different model. In a different location, that situation will be reversed. And these are always subjective. One person may prefer the windows face outward and not care about access to the open water. Another person may have a preference completely the opposite. We went with a standard that tried to accommodate as many of those various preferences as possible, even if it meant choosing a different model house to achieve it. 

So in answer to answer the question "Can you give us the ability to rotate our houseboats?" the answer has to be "Unfortunately, no. We cannot."

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 18

@Abnor Mole Thanks very much for your in depth reply!:) I did think that an 'Edit' situation was not possible. It's a shame thought that it's not possible just to just be able to rez it in place as LittleMe Jewel suggested (i.e two options per boat, default and 90 degree rotated. I was hoping that might be a workable solution). Ah well...can't have everything:)

19 minutes ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

@Abnor Mole Thanks very much for your in depth reply!:) I did think that an 'Edit' situation was not possible. It's a shame thought that it's not possible just to just be able to rez it in place as LittleMe Jewel suggested (i.e two options per boat, default and 90 degree rotated. I was hoping that might be a workable solution). Ah well...can't have everything:)

You can rotate it 360 degrees. Just close you eyes, will it to happen, and when you open your eyes, it’s done!

• Haha 8

I have a similar problem with mine.  The Windlass is fine, the big windows face open sea.

windlass_011.png.655443bf7f2d17ad5b1f2830ee0397d5.png

So is the Barnacle (excuse the bits of furniture sticking out, I didn't want to pick everything up just for this)

barnacle_001.png.508c94db60fd896ff6f15e36c30b0220.png

But the Wallower and Evening Star are both the wrong way round, with the big window facing my neighbour.  

wallower_001.png.4f917e47d995b37b4b43e1ac90bdc3ac.png

eveningstar_001.png.e946b1785560c33da8337ad08deb52cc.png

I'm not convinced about a 90 degree rotation, but those two need a 180 degree rotation.

Edited by Karl Herber
  • Like 2

Well I guess that that is what @Abnor Mole meant to say: They give you a choice where your big Window should face. If you want to face the sea, choose Windlass or Barnacle, if you prefer to face your neighbour choose Wallover or evening star. There are two round types and two straight types one in each direction.

3 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

One person may prefer the windows face outward and not care about access to the open water. Another person may have a preference completely the opposite. We went with a standard that tried to accommodate as many of those various preferences as possible, even if it meant choosing a different model house to achieve it. 

Edited by Leora Jacobus

• Moles
3 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Well I guess that that is what @Abnor Mole meant to say: They give you a choice where your big Window should face. If you want to face the sea, choose Windlass or Barnacle, if you prefer to face your neighbour choose Wallover or evening star. There are two round types and two straight types one in each direction.

Exactly. If Karl had a parcel where the neighbor and the open water were reversed, his dilemma would be reversed as well. At least in either case, he has two options that face the direction he finds more desirable. It's a matter of weighing your options and finding a compromise between which style you prefer considering the direction it faces in that location. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Abnor Mole said:

Exactly. If Karl had a parcel where the neighbor and the open water were reversed, his dilemma would be reversed as well. At least in either case, he has two options that face the direction he finds more desirable. It's a matter of weighing your options and finding a compromise between which style you prefer considering the direction it faces in that location. 

But in the examples I was talking about rotating 90 degrees (not 180 degrees as Karl is talking about) so that in each case the short end (front) of the houseboat is facing out on the water like the 16x64 plots....so there isn't a compromise in that situation :(

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

But in the examples I was talking about rotating 90 degrees (not 180 degrees as Karl is talking about) so that in each case the short end (front) of the houseboat is facing out on the water...as this isn't the current situation for 32x32 plots...

I have a houseboat on a 32 x 32 plot and, personally, I would not want it rotated 90 degrees.   It seems to me like there are more 16 x 64 houseboat plots than 32 x 32, so hopefully over time, those that want the front to be facing out on the water will be able to relocate to plots that are more to their liking.     

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.