Another Tattoo question....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4453 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi All yet another tattoo related question from me lol

I have been trying for days to make a tattoo appear faded sort of like a faded black...i have changed the opacity within photoshop, changed the fill option of the layer and it looks fine in PS yet when i load it to SL (temp load thankgod) it appears as solid black...is it needed to be saved as TGA or can i get away with PNG?

Hope your all well and someone can help me with this problem lol

Thanks in advance,

Debbi x

if you are using opacity to control the lightness/darkenss then that might be the problem (I'm assuming when saving as TGA you have a separate alpha channel specified since it's not completely covering the skin, just the tatto itself is showing up too dark)

the reason being that partially transparent layers blend the same way that "color to target" works, by taking the underlying layer rgb, and moving those values towards the overlying values by a percentage equal to the opacity of the overlying layer.

this is going to be consistently darker than you expect if your background for the original is white.

instead you would want to lighten the rgb of the tattoo image, and only deal with partial transparents at the antialised edges of your tatto (so that it looks naturally applied).... you could still do a partial transparency for the tatto, but it's going to need to be much more transparent, and this is going to affect how it looks different across different skins.

Hi Void thanks for the reply, how do i go about lightening the RGB then...i have always used the transparency and fill never lightend anything with the rgb settings...so im totally stumped lol im using PS CS5 right now...

Thanks again,

Debbi x

Void Singer wrote:

if you are using opacity to control the lightness/darkenss then that might be the problem (I'm assuming when saving as TGA you have a separate alpha channel specified since it's not completely covering the skin, just the tatto itself is showing up too dark)

the reason being that partially transparent layers blend the same way that "color to target" works, by taking the underlying layer rgb, and moving those values towards the overlying values by a percentage equal to the opacity of the overlying layer.

this is going to be consistently darker than you expect if your background for the original is white.

instead you would want to lighten the rgb of the tattoo image, and only deal with partial transparents at the antialised edges of your tatto (so that it looks naturally applied).... you could still do a partial transparency for the tatto, but it's going to need to be much more transparent, and this is going to affect how it looks different across different skins.

Debbi Demina wrote:

Hi Void thanks for the reply, how do i go about lightening the RGB then...i have always used the transparency and fill never lightend anything with the rgb settings...so im totally stumped lol im using PS CS5 right now...

Thanks again,

Debbi x

Try painting with gray instead of painting with black.  Changing opacity is like adding water to your black paint.  You just make thin black paint.  You need to add white to make gray paint.

what kind of numbers are you using for your tattoo's opacity? You have to go below  approx. 70% on a layer in Photoshop in order to really see any lightening of the tattoo in-world, it's a little hard to judge it in Photoshop. You can group all the layers of the tattoo without merging them by choosing all the layers and 'create a new group from layers' and lower the opacity of the entire group - without making any permanent changes to your artwork.

And yes, you can certainly use png format for tattoos.

I don't know other people's methods, but I can share mine with you.

For grayscale tattoos...once you have the pattern or design how you like it in photoshop or gimp, invert it so that it's white instead of black. Then make it 50-70% on opacity.  (50% works well for faded).

After you've uploaded the texture, and put it on, add a gray color to it. Darken until you get the right level of "faded-ness" you want.

You can also use colors other than grayscale with the semitransparent white tattoo texture! I've done some henna tats with it.

• 8 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4453 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.