Would you pay for something not created yet?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Depending on the item being created, materials and parts are sometimes needed even here in SL.  As a builder of motorcycles, powerboats and GTFO! vehicles I often use a combination of parts created by others as well as parts I create myself.  Building regions is no different with a multitude of objects being created as well as being purchased from other creators.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Are you asking me (or about Patreon)? Regardless, do you think time is worthless? There are a lot of immaterial projects people can only work on because other people are willing to pay for them to do it. The money is an incentive to make the project worth working on during what little free time they may have, along with putting other things to the side that they would normally prefer doing. Past a certain point, it can also allow them to leave their other jobs to the side entirely and be able to focus on what they actually want to be doing.

Why do you charge for your products on Marketplace anyway? It doesn't cost anything to make/list them, only 10L per upload but your prices are higher than that.

To think/imply that material cost is the only one that matters is silly.

I'm not thinking or implying anything. I know time is money, I run a business where big part of the income is consultancy. But in SL what I consider as recreational myself, I find it hard to imagine why you would need an incentive payed up front to motivate you in doing a project if the only investment is time. I enjoy my time creating stuff and do it as leisure. If someone happens to buy it, that's a nice sign of appreciation, but if money was my only motivation I would not spend my SL (fun) time on it and just do some extra hours working.

In case of designing/building a sim for a client, I can imagine, because that can be abused, and you will need to invest in decorative items. And your product mainly is time that you are selling.

But it was just a question out of curiosity for the motivation, not a judgement.

• Like 1

I once gifted a creator of system makeups with the money to buy a mesh head because I wanted to see her make the transition to mesh and continue creating.  She had been a very generous creator and I had tons of her system makeup gifts.  She was just coming back from a long hiatus and SL had changed while she was gone.  So I guess that counts.  I didn't think of it as an investment and I wouldn't do this for just anyone.  I was fully prepared to get nothing back.  I was glad to do it in that particular instance.

• Like 2

On 6/17/2019 at 11:31 AM, Selene Gregoire said:

Never pay for something in full up front that hasn't been completed and in your possession. If they need funding they should be willing to accept refundable deposits. If they are asking for payment in full up front, don't walk away, run!

Half now, half on delivery isn't uncommon. But make sure the perms are what you need. My exclusive squash blossom necklace isn't worn often because the creator made the damn thing no copy and refused to let me have a copiable copy. Live and learn.

This. Yes run. I learn this the hard way. 11,000 Linden gone. The person removed and blocked me after i paid and i reported it as fraud. I STILL have yet to be compensated. LL just doesn't care.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.