You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4706 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi

Sorry if this has been said already, but i couldnt find it.

I bought a modest 10 prim home and i find when i moved the position of the house,the door became detached from the house.

The house is modify, and the icon in my inventory is a broken up yellow box. I would appreciate any help i could get as i am not too clever with building etc etc...Thanks very much for any help!

Sooby

I'm thinking that the door was most likely never linked to the rest of the house. Since it contains a script which make it rotate around a hinge, it would rotate the whole house if it was linked to it. [EDIT]. Reading what is said by those who know scripting, this is not necessarily true.

Most likely, the door and the house was gathered up together, in a coalesed object, and that is what you see as a 'broken up box'. Does this look like several tiny boxes stacked on top of eachother with one little box missing?

You can rez the house and the door, right click the door, select edit object and move it in place by clicking and dragging the red, green and blue intersecting arrows that overlays it.

If you are unsure what I mean, take a trip to the 'Ivory tower of prims' where they have self-paced, easy to follow lessons in building.

- Luc -

The broken up icon in you invetory means that the pieces are not all attached. So when you rezz it and move it, you have to be careful to select all of the parts or some will get left behind as happened in this situation. To fix the door, just select it (right click and choose edit) and adjust its position  to where you want it to be. Use the arrows to adust its location. You may also need to rotate it (check the choice that says rotate under the object tab when you are editing the door or hold down the control key when you're editing the door). 

Edit: what the previous poster said. The door was not linked to the rest of the house, so when you moved the house, the door was left behind.

if your edit window is open when you rez something with that icon from inventory, all the separate parts will be selected together... (the icon means "coalesced object" or more plainly "multiple objects selected together")

after the fact, when you select an object, you can include another one in the selection by holding down shift and clicking on it.

when you have multiple objects selected this way, the position fields do gray out, this is normal and they come back when only one object is selected.

any object that you happen to miss you should be able to move in the same manner as the others separately, by repeating the same steps you used for the first object.

There's two different ways to script a door for a house. You can use a simple script that will rotate or slide an un-linked door, or you can use a more complicated script that will allow a one-prim door to be linked to the rest of the build.

Your home has an un-linked type of door, so yes, you can just re-position it in the door frame and it should work again. I would also advise resetting the scripts in the door after you reposition it, because many simple unlinked door scripts need a reset if they are manually moved. Just select the door and there's a choice on the Tools menu (older Viewers) or Build menu (newer viewers) that allows you to "reset scripts in selection".

To move multiple parts together, select the first part, then hold down Shift and click on each additional part to add that to the selection. You can then drag and/or rotate them as a unit. But again, when you're done manually repositioning a build with unlinked doors, it is wise to reset the scripts in the selected objects, to lock in their new positions.

slightly off topic, but whether a single prim door is linked or not really doesn't decide it's script complexity, it can be dog simple, or crazy mad huge with options to make a swiss army knife jealous. there's only really 2 methods (centercut/position-rot) available, 2 styles(static/dynamic), and 2 ways to manage them (local/networked) and they all work basically the same linked or not (as long as they aren't the root)

The difference is that a script for an unlinked door only has to know about and base its actions on it's own root prim's location and orientation, and that the command to rotate the root prim of a linkset, or to rotate a single prim around its center, is a fairly simple one to code. A typical unlinked door will either be a single prim, cut in half with path cuts or profile cuts, so its actual center is at the visible 'hinge edge', or else will be a linkset of two or more prims, with the root prim's center as the hinge point. Either way, you only have to tell the root prim to rotate on its own center.

When you make a script for a linkable door, that script has to take into account the location and orientation of the root prim as well, and the calculations that do the rotation of the non-root prim are more complicated and non-intuitive, regardless of what other bells and whistles are added for other features. Rotating a non-root prim requires a more complex calculation for the start and end positions, and unfortunately also has to cope with a math error that is in the base LL code and that has never been fixed. (There's one value that has to be the reverse sign of what it should really be, because the LL coders goofed up. That can't be fixed in the current LSL for that function without breaking a whole lot of content. There have been JIRA requests for an alternate LSL command that could be used instead of the inaccurate one, but as far as I know, LL has never implemented that requested new command.)

actually, if the script targets itself with local values rather than region ones, it's just the same code, linked or unlinked. they also did finally give us some help on that buggy interface, and we now have PRIM_ROT_LOCAL for prim parameters, which behaves correctly for both set and get... I updated the wiki with a whole bunch of conversions in case people did want region relative, without the bugs. I'm guessing you haven't taken a look in a while, but you'll be pleased I think.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4706 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.