Lindens

ryanmartins1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Based on the official SL Wiki, it seems the Linden name came from Linden Street in San Francisco, which itself was probably named after the linden tree (tilia americana), also known as basswood. 

The grid consisted of 16 regions, the first one being called Da Boom, which Residents have speculated serves as a symbolic reference to the "Big Bang" conception of this virtual world. Da Boom, as well as the other early region additions were all named after alleyways in San Francisco. This was a nod to Linden Lab's original location on Linden Street. The original San francisco regions, from November of 2002, included Clara, Clyde, Da Boom, Federal, Freelon, Hawthorne, Minna, Natoma, Ritch, Shipley, Stanford, Stillman, Taber, Varney, Welsh, and Zoe.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/History_of_Second_Life#2002

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Erwin Solo said:

Based on the official SL Wiki, it seems the Linden name came from Linden Street in San Francisco, which itself was probably named after the linden tree (tilia americana), also known as basswood. 

perhaps... that's where the Money Tree idea came from 😮

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 10:28 AM, Blush Bravin said:

You can listen to bad advice like this and then make it harder on yourself when trying to get help. There is much to learn in SL and the terminology is one of the most important. Welcome to SL!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have for years and years.

Oh pooh.  The correct term is, of course, "linden dollars" or $L (or L$, I am never sure which comes first).  But simply "lindens", with a lower case L, will generally get the idea across.

Anyway, you can't buy Lindens (the people) with a Visa gift card, either.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Oh pooh.  The correct term is, of course, "linden dollars" or $L (or L$, I am never sure which comes first).  But simply "lindens", with a lower case L, will generally get the idea across.

Anyway, you can't buy Lindens (the people) with a Visa gift card, either.

I'm really surprised that you of all people would poo the idea of learning the terminology that is specific to Second Life. What a shame!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:

It's sort of like "sim" and "region".  They are not, technically, the same thing, but all but a few floccinaucinihilipilificators treat them as interchangeable.

True, to a point.  Still, there's more to using the right words than just being pedantic.  If I go to New England and ask for a "soda pop", they'll know what I mean but they'll mark me as an outsider.  Any true New Englander knows that the fizzy stuff is called "tonic".  Using the right word can keep you from sounding like a newbie.  😎

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ThorinII said:

I for one would always say "Oh, that dress costs L$ 250"

And I would type it as  "250 L$". Because that's how we do it in RL where I live.
The order goes like: First the amount, then a space and then the currency.
And it's a logical order when saying it. "Two hundred and fifty Linden dollars."

But my Italian friend would type L$250. I have no idea how he would say it aloud though. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

True, to a point.  Still, there's more to using the right words than just being pedantic.  If I go to New England and ask for a "soda pop", they'll know what I mean but they'll mark me as an outsider.  Any true New Englander knows that the fizzy stuff is called "tonic".  Using the right word can keep you from sounding like a newbie.  😎

I got a lot of strange looks in america when in a bar I declared "I am going outside to smoke a *****" apparently what I meant and what they understood had a slight divergence

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

I got a lot of strange looks in america when in a bar I declared "I am going outside to smoke a *****" apparently what I meant and what they understood had a slight divergence

Yeah, that particular term went out of style here when my Grandfather was a boy (if it can ever be said to have been "in style").  The language has drifted quite a bit since then, hence the reason why it appears here as ******.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yeah, that particular term went out of style here when my Grandfather was a boy (if it can ever be said to have been "in style").  The language has drifted quite a bit since then, hence the reason why it appears here as ******.

Hardly our fault if you corrupted it. We gave you a language kindly use it :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

Hardly our fault if you corrupted it. We gave you a language kindly use it :)

That, from a nation that puts bonnets and boots on its cars instead of wearing them, as God intended.  😜 

Language is truly a beautiful invention and a source for never ending amusement.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

That, from a nation that puts bonnets and boots on its cars instead of wearing them, as God intended.  😜 

Language is truly a beautiful invention and a source for never ending amusement.

makes perfect sense the bonnet is on the top end of a car, the boot at the bottom end....now tell me why you use hood and trunk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I make up my own terms for lots of things. When I walk up to the window at a drive-in and ask for one scoop of ice-cream in a "pointy cone", they look at me like I'm from Mars.

"Do you mean a waffle cone or a cake cone?"

"How on Earth do you make cones out of waffles or cake? Those are both softer than the ice-cream you'd put in them. I want the cone that's pointy because I've found they are less likely to break in half while I'm eating them. Your cones sound a mess."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Good grief, what kind of schools do you have around here? I very much doubt you make cones out of waffles or cake, just show me what you have and I'll pick."

She shows me the two kinds of cones they sell.

"Just as I thought! Neither of those cones is made from waffles or cake, and that one is clearly pointy!"

As I walk away shaking my head, she walks away, shaking her head.

I'll let you decide if I'm pedantic or didactic. I already know I'm annoying.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I make up my own terms for lots of things. When I walk up to the window at a drive-in and ask for one scoop of ice-cream in a "pointy cone", they look at me like I'm from Mars.

"Do you mean a waffle cone or a cake cone?"

"How on Earth do you make cones out of waffles or cake? Those are both softer than the ice-cream you'd put in them. I want the cone that's pointy because I've found they are less likely to break in half while I'm eating them. Your cones sound a mess."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Good grief, what kind of schools do you have around here? I very much doubt you make cones out of waffles or cake, just show me what you have and I'll pick."

She shows me the two kinds of cones they sell.

"Just as I thought! Neither of those cones is made from waffles or cake, and that one is clearly pointy!"

As I walk away shaking my head, she walks away, shaking her head.

I'll let you decide if I'm pedantic or didactic. I already know I'm annoying.

chuckles reminds me of my first time in the states when I walked into a starbucks

Me : Give me coffee its stupid early

Her: reels of a lot of incomprehensible terms

Me: No thanks just coffee

We both stare blankly at the other wondering why the other one seems not to comprehend english

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's silly.  The roof is on the top end.  The undercarriage is on the bottom end.

Sigh but then you are thinking wrong, a Car goes forward not up and down. People go up and down and backwards and forwards

• Like 1

I've driven roads on your side of the pond.  They're no less lumpy than ours.  My car certainly goes up and down.

Ah you probably drove too slowly then, when you drive fast enough they smooth out . Those road signs you see remember are minimum smooth driving speeds and they are in mph not kph

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

Ah you probably drove too slowly then, when you drive fast enough they smooth out . Those road signs you see remember are minimum smooth driving speeds and they are in mph not kph

Point taken.  I have wondered why people drive like suicidal bats on those hedge-lined country roads.  It begins to make sense.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:
14 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I always say "L dollars" -- and "US dollars" here in the forums.  RL, I drop the US part.

I rarely say either one.  I say L$ and USD

When you say L$ out loud, you are saying "L Dollar(s)", which is what I was trying to convey.  Or do you actually say "L dollar sign"?

Yeah, I probably say USD far more than 'US Dollar(s)'

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's a bit of a leap between cause and effect, whether you agree with Alonya or not.

Perhaps the regulars have been here so long they don't recognize it, or they just excuse it as "so-and-so just being so-and-so" but these forums aren't especially friendly to newbies. Correcting people for saying "lindens", which is perfectly fine to say in reference to SL's currency, or, god forbid, when someone says "Linden Labs" instead of "Linden Lab", or "region" instead of "sim", or any number of other things, is almost always couched as being helpful, but comes across as almost a sort of dominance. "We were here first so don't come in here making waves with your incorrect usage of our terminology."

I think it's become second nature to a lot of the regulars and in general across the whole of the internet and it comes in many forms. I hesitate to say "victim" because I hate the word, but I've been a victim of it myself by people making certain I know how long they've been in SL (being new to the forums doesn't mean one is new to SL, and it shouldn't matter anyway) to make it sound as if my opinion carries less weight than someone else. There's been more than one occasion where I thought, "F*** it, I'm not coming back here" but I've got just as much right to be here as anyone else.

Again, maybe people don't realize they're doing it, but I also think it should be pointed out when it happens. People talk about SL dying, and one of the biggest hurdles to joining SL is figuring out what the hell is going on because it's not exactly intuitive when you first land inworld and I think a lot of people may look towards these forums for a little guidance. I want new people joining and staying. 

There is a difference between being helpful and being pedantic or condescending and that line gets blurred an awful lot here whether the regulars realize it or not. Perhaps it takes someone from the outside looking in to see it. 

shrugs

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.