Lindens

ryanmartins1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Do you mean Linden Dollars? Lindens are people. Theoretically you should be able to if it's a Visa - but the question is how it is reported during the transaction (Credit Card, Debit Card, etc.) The only way to find out is to try it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ryanmartins1 said:

a regular credit card

It is regular credit card only.  Even debit cards will not work unless they can also be run as a credit card.

You can also use verified paypal and skrill accounts but those will need either a credit card or your bank info tied to those accounts.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Do you mean Linden Dollars? Lindens are people. Theoretically you should be able to if it's a Visa - but the question is how it is reported during the transaction (Credit Card, Debit Card, etc.) The only way to find out is to try it.

yes i mean linden dollars sorry still getting used to this lol 

• Like 2

Don’t worry. I say Lindens instead of “Linden Dollars” all the time as do most people I know in SL. Ignore the prim and propers on this forum, they treat everything that differs away from their norm as being akin to witchcraft and voodoo.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Don’t worry. I say Lindens instead of “Linden Dollars” all the time as do most people I know in SL. Ignore the prim and propers on this forum, they treat everything that differs away from their norm as being akin to witchcraft and voodoo.

You can listen to bad advice like this and then make it harder on yourself when trying to get help. There is much to learn in SL and the terminology is one of the most important. Welcome to SL!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have for years and years.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

LOL Words have meaning. But lazy-speak is the way of the world, I suppose.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

I think the clue is when someone says “oh I need to buy some lindens”. If you can’t figure that out then all hope is lost 

While this is true, why miss the opportunity to help someone new to SL learn that the term also refers to people?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

i say Lindens too normally .. but when comming to the forums it can be really helpfull to adress the things with their real name, otherwise we see posts like " it doesn't work"  and nothing more... really hard to guess what doesnt work.

ánd... i would really want to buy a Linden..let's start with Patch ..( one is enough at my age)  :SwingingFriends:

Edited by Fox Wijaya
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

I think the clue is when someone says “oh I need to buy some lindens”. If you can’t figure that out then all hope is lost 

Sure. But why presume people will get your meaning when you can say what you mean, even if you don't mean what you say? Lazy minds and simple educaions are what they are,  and neither must be exclusive of the other. If the shoe fits, wear it. if not then don't be so concerned about it.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Sure. But why presume people will get your meaning when you can say what you mean, even if you don't mean what you say? Lazy minds and simple educaions are what they are,  and neither must be exclusive of the other. If the shoe fits, wear it. if not then don't be so concerned about it.

I would guess that 95% of the time in SL, probably more, when people say "lindens", they're talking about the currency. 

I don't say United States of America Dollars when I say something costs $5, even though there is also the Australian dollar, the Fijian dollar, the Singapore dollar, Liberian dollar, and quite a few more and I really don't consider that "lazy-speak" as you say. 

And do you really always say "Oh, that dress costs 250 linden dollars" rather than "Oh, that dress costs 250 lindens"? Always? Really?

No one is going to presume when someone is talking about buying lindens that they're talking about buying a person who works for Linden Lab, and if they do, they have bigger issues than use of a word that is both a name and a type of currency. 

This really didn't need to be a thing, and a new resident really didn't need that condescension when you knew perfectly well what he was talking about. 

Things like this are why the majority of SL residents don't frequent these forums...

a96.jpg.44482d47a161d3a5949d35a8d599bc9e.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Don’t be so judgmental my dear.

7 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Things like this are why the majority of SL residents don't frequent these forums...

That's a bit of a leap between cause and effect, whether you agree with Alonya or not.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I  always say "L dollars" -- and "US dollars" here in the forums. 

I rarely say either one.  I say L$ and USD.  😉

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

And do you really always say "Oh, that dress costs 250 linden dollars" rather than "Oh, that dress costs 250 lindens"? Always? Really?

I for one would always say "Oh, that dress costs L$ 250" -- and yes I do use "US-$" or USD and Euro (or, €) when talking about the RealLife currencies, too

For me, "Lindens" are those with the Lastname Linden.

Edited by ThorinII
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Same here Ive always used the term Lindens for L$ and LL for the people who up until a month ago I thought were no existent lol 

12 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

LOL Words have meaning. But lazy-speak is the way of the world, I suppose.

Best not go into any club in SL then lol. 

Halfies with Dj xxx 

Xxx tipped Djxxx L$100

Thank You so much for that sweet linden loving.

This is probably why I refer to L$ as lindens, in world. In the forums I know better 🤔

5 hours ago, ananoelle said:

Best not go into any club in SL then lol. 

Which I do not. The best way to remove an annoyance is avoid it before exposure, failing that: to remove yourself from it, rather than any feeble attempt to push it away.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ananoelle said:

This is probably why I refer to L$ as lindens, in world. In the forums I know better 🤔

L$ is much clearer.  "Linden" has different meanings in different contexts, for example:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.