Individual color choices or color change HUD?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure if this is the exact right place for this post, so correct me if I'm wrong. I'm downsizing (again) to help offset the new price increase and that means reducing prims also.  I would like to ask generally if people prefer a color change HUD that's a bit more expensive than a single color choice, or if they prefer to simply choose a less expensive individual color they prefer and then buy a fatpack if they desire all options.  A color change HUD will cut down on my prims, but I don't want to shut out customers who prefer to purchase a single individual color or pattern.  Thoughts?  

• Like 1

We can all tell you what we prefer but no matter what you do, you'll never make everyone happy. Do what is best for you and if the quality and service are good/great and the price is in line, then people will buy. Do a test run using the system you'd now prefer and compare it to sales you've had using a previous method so you can gauge a decline or increase in sales and then make changes. 

Edited by Linda Reddevil
  • Like 2

some things that I consider when I buy

for myself I buy both separates and HUDs, depending on how much money I have which like most everyone is variable at times

i do quite like when there is a HUD, is when there are also separates on MP when they are actual different textures and not just tints.  I look at the separates images on MP then if I see 3 or more textures that I like, and is more cost-effective to get the HUD version then I do. From this it can be deduced that I am most tempted to buy a fatpack  HUD when its priced about 3 times the price of a separate. 

which leads into my next consideration: A thing for me about HUDs is that I rarely see a HUD where I like all the colors/textures. Like them enough to wear all of them

when I do get a HUD and I wear the garment often, then I usually apply the texture and save the copy. Then Add to Outfit. Then do the copy add with another texture to another outfit. Separate them myself

what I really like is when there is a way for me to remove the script in the copy garment, either mod, or via HUD is fine

edit add: Like Linda says above its not necessarily an either/or decision. Try both and see how you get on

Edited by Mollymews
either or
  • Like 1

There are way to many things to consider to make it an easy either/or choice.  It depends on what I am buying for one thing.  Jeans are almost always single color.  Then there is cost of the whole vs the cost of the 2 or 3 colors I actually want. Speaking of cost, my favorite shoe store only sells fatpacks but at the price of what others charge for a single color.

Anyway, if I could sum it up and price is not enough to be a consideration: I would rather have a HUD than keep 2 or more separate colors in inventory.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

i do quite like when there is a HUD, is when there are also separates on MP when they are actual different textures and not just tints.

I do like the idea of keeping separates on the MP as an option.  Thanks for the replies!  I know it's not going to make everyone happy, but if I'm going to make changes, it's helpful for me to get some feedback from consumers so I truly appreciate it! 

• Like 1

A worn HUD doesn't count against your LI. But even if you're asking about something that you rez it doesn't need more than a single prim unless it's a tinting thing with a couple of sliders (which I guess is unlikely as you're also talking about predefined choices), which could be done using the standard build editor floater. Provided that the object is modifiable.

Overall, I'm getting the impression that you're talking about something with a load of pre-made colour textures and a HUD that uses a prim for each one. If that's the case it's really rather easy to make a HUD using a single prim and a single texture that does the same job.

Please correct me if I've missed the point entirely, which I suspect I must have.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KT Kingsley said:

A worn HUD doesn't count against your LI. But even if you're asking about something that you rez it doesn't need more than a single prim unless it's a tinting thing with a couple of sliders (which I guess is unlikely as you're also talking about predefined choices), which could be done using the standard build editor floater. Provided that the object is modifiable.

Overall, I'm getting the impression that you're talking about something with a load of pre-made colour textures and a HUD that uses a prim for each one. If that's the case it's really rather easy to make a HUD using a single prim and a single texture that does the same job.

Please correct me if I've missed the point entirely, which I suspect I must have.

I think she's talking about how many vendors it takes to rez in her shop when she is selling single colors. 

If I were in your shoes, and I have been, I'd keep the best sellers and new releases in your shop. Then retire the older items to the marketplace with several signs in the shop stating that older releases are in your MP store. I'd also make each of those signs a link giver to your MP store. I'd be sure to have all the single colors in the shop while you consider them to still be a new release. Once the initial rush has died down or you see that they aren't going to be best sellers, then I'd retire them to the MP store.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, KT Kingsley said:

Ah ha! Now I see the light! HUD = vendor!

Nevertheless, a multi-choice vendor can be done using just one prim and a lot of textures. And even slicker using a mesh model for the vendor.

Sounds nice, but possibly quite laggy if I'm not mistaken.  And I could be since I don't know much about scripting.  Personally, I like to click on a vendor and see all the contents inside before I buy and I think that's not something you can do with vendors like Caspervend.  But, I would even forgo that ability if there was no discernable difference to the lag in my shop. 

Edited by adriannesuz McMinnar
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, KT Kingsley said:

Nevertheless, a multi-choice vendor can be done using just one prim and a lot of textures. And even slicker using a mesh model for the vendor.

Yes, that's totally an option, but I must say I hate those kinds of vendors. They drive me nuts in fact and scream 2008. I hate having to wait for each texture to rez as I try to flip through the selections. I avoid them as much as possible when I'm shopping.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Yes, that's totally an option, but I must say I hate those kinds of vendors. They drive me nuts in fact and scream 2008. I hate having to wait for each texture to rez as I try to flip through the selections. I avoid them as much as possible when I'm shopping.

That is one reason some vendor system show "small" photos in an arrangement the big photo that you've flipped to; the technique allows your viewer to cache the photos that you might wish to see next.  Likewise, a smart slideshow system can place the next slide on a face behind the face you are viewing, to cause your viewer to be caching the next image.

• Like 2

I like the compromise that I've seen where the clothing has color change HUDs, but only a few colors in each, so that you can choose from four or so different HUD sets to buy. This means I don't have to buy the equivalent of a fat pack just to get a few colors. I suppose it's OK for me to name an example here since I have no association with the store; I'm thinking about the way neve does their HUDs. 

Mostly I like a HUD because I am lazy and like clicking the HUD to change color then I can claim I have on a new outfit. 

• Like 4

My first choice would be individual colors with a demo that lets me see several of them, second choice a HUD with a copyable clothing item the scripts can be deleted from. Set the color, copy, delete the scripts from one of the copies. I'll buy something good either way, though.

• Like 1

While I seldom (if ever actually) BUY clothes but I get all the different marketing choices in various blogger packs.  Personally I am not a hud fan. Even with 30 choices to pick from I rarely use more than one. I pick my favorite and make it into an outfit if I love it.  This for clothing -- for shoes I like ONE CLICK COLOR huds. I especially hate the huds (not custom) from the Marketplace that have 20 textures PER section of shoe or sweater or whatever. What a pain.

I think the small "fatpack" idea is probably the best for clothing -- say four colors per pack? (neutrals, pastels, brights etc). Stories&Co has these and I think they are a good middle ground.  Folks feel that they are getting a deal and still don't have to spend a fortune for a bunch of colors that they don't want.

If you feel you MUST have all the single colors then you could put them on the Marketplace. 

• Like 1

I responded earlier from a merchant perspective now I'm going to respond as a shopper.

I do like having a hud because I like wearing many different colors and it's always hard for me to make up my mind which color I like best. But at the same time for things like jeans I rarely will buy a fatpack because I just don't need all those different shades of denim. Prices also make a difference in whether I will spend the extra to get the fatpack HUD or not. I'm not spending an arm and a leg just because I can't make up my mind on a color and sometimes that means I'll just walk away and not buy even a single color. 

I adore HUDs that let me color different parts of a garment or shoes. And if the item isn't mod, meaning it lets me tint said item, then please add a tinting panel to your HUD if it's feasible. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.