What exactly does "automatic redelivery" mean?

Ratany

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1766 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

as the subject says, what exactly does automatic redelivery mean?  "Automatic" suggests that the item would automatically be redelivered when the customer has lost it, or when the item of the listing has been replaced, like by an updated version ...

At first I was thinking that you were being a loose goose and then I re-read your post properly. 

I know that lelutka has a automatic delivery as I was wearing a out of date head and they kept sending me the updated version until I replaced the 3.0 version I was wearing.

Im guessing if its lost/deleted then youd have to return to the stores terminal to get it redelivered.

Nah, I was merely  updating my store, and since I provide updates and don't have a good way to hand them out, I replaced outdated items in the same listing with updated versions so that previous buyers may get the updated version when they get a redelivery.

But the option is called "automatic redeliveries", so what will happen?  Will previous buyers automatically receive the updated versions as a redelivery?  Will they need to log in to the marketplace and request redeliveries?  If they need to request a redelivery, how are they being informed that the item has been updated?  Does at least that happen automatically?  How does the market place know that an item in a listing that was replaced is an updated version which needs to be redeliverd to all previous buyers?

With stuff I bought and sometimes get sent updates of, it always seems that the maker has deployed some sort of update server with which the item itself communicates.  That isn't an "automatic redelivery", or is it?

Need more info though. Are you talking in reference to the Marketplace or a vendor system? If it's a vendor system then you will need to read your operating manual because each system has it's own glossary. For instance, my system doesn't do anything automatically. I have to initiate the process. But there are systems that you can set up so that a redelivery is triggered if a person uses an out of date version. So read your manual. :) If it's in relation to the Marketplace I believe you will have to initiate the process unless your customer has the item redelivered on their own.

I was unable to locate an item I purchased from MP, so a search of my buying history showed when I received it (making sure I did have it at one time). I figured I may have inadvertently deleted it from my inventory. I looked at the merchants page and saw the item still being offered and an automatic redelivery option was listed.

I pressed it and waited -- and waited--and waited some more. NO redelivery. Nada, zip, snake eyes, nothing.

Long story short, I ended up buying the item again. Not a lot of L's was involved, but why offer a redelivery option in MP if the process doesn't follow through?

12 minutes ago, Jerilynn Lemon said:

I was unable to locate an item I purchased from MP, so a search of my buying history showed when I received it (making sure I did have it at one time). I figured I may have inadvertently deleted it from my inventory. I looked at the merchants page and saw the item still being offered and an automatic redelivery option was listed.

I pressed it and waited -- and waited--and waited some more. NO redelivery. Nada, zip, snake eyes, nothing.

Long story short, I ended up buying the item again. Not a lot of L's was involved, but why offer a redelivery option in MP if the process doesn't follow through?

I've had many customers redeliver their products without any problems. I'd check directly with the merchant and/or support to see what happened to your purchase.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Need more info though. Are you talking in reference to the Marketplace or a vendor system? If it's a vendor system then you will need to read your operating manual because each system has it's own glossary. For instance, my system doesn't do anything automatically. I have to initiate the process. But there are systems that you can set up so that a redelivery is triggered if a person uses an out of date version. So read your manual. :) If it's in relation to the Marketplace I believe you will have to initiate the process unless your customer has the item redelivered on their own.

I'm referring to the option called "Automatic redelivery" which is available when editing item listings on the sl marketplace.

Is there a way to initiate redeliveries for all previous buyers of all items?  Besides, when someone needs to initiate a redelivery, it's not automatic.

11 minutes ago, Ratany said:

Is there a way to initiate redeliveries for all previous buyers of all items?  Besides, when someone needs to initiate a redelivery, it's not automatic.

Id say yes, since i get those "automatic" redeliveries without requesting it.

42 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

What Blush says, try that.

And how do you do that?

I couldn't find a manual about the sl marketplace telling me what exactly the automatic redelivery option is supposed to do or how to use it.  There doesn't seem to be a way to initiate redeliveries for all items for all previous buyers, either.

There's also no article to be found in the knowledge base about automatic notifications ...

Edited by Ratany

As far as I know there is no automatic redelivery for updating an item when someone wears/uses it directly from the Marketplace. The way MP redelivery works is that your customer can have an item redelivered, if you've not blocked redelivery, or you have to send out a redelivery. The only way I know of updating items automatically require an in-world vendor system that is also tied to your Marketplace store.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 1

Thanks!

So I understand there is no automatic redelivery, and the option either doesn't do anything and/or is stupidly named and does something we don't know about and are unlikely to ever find out because the lindens forgot to document it.  I suppose they make it so troublesome for the sellers to initiate redeliveries because they want them to use something they have yet to pay someone else for, as if there was any money to be made with stuff on the marketplace to begin with ...

BTW, how does a vendor system tie into the marketplace?  Is there some API, which is somewhere documented?  Like it would be really nice to at least know who bought what when and hence should get an update, which is something I could do automatically if I only had this information ...

I use the Casper system. It gives detailed information on all my transactions. 

1 hour ago, Ratany said:

So I understand there is no automatic redelivery, and the option either doesn't do anything and/or is stupidly named

It is automatic in that you initiate the redelivery and then the system automatically sends it to your customer. You are not hand delivering it to the customer. You want to use the system in a way that is was not designed to be used. But there are vendor systems that will do what you want. 

1 hour ago, Ratany said:

because the lindens forgot to document it.

They did document it I posted the link to the information. 

1 hour ago, Ratany said:

I suppose they make it so troublesome for the sellers to initiate redeliveries because they want them to use something they have yet to pay someone else for

I don't think they are making it troublesome in the least. In fact, quite the opposite. I have been asking for the ability for my customers to initiate redeliveries for a very long time. That service is now in place making it easier for them and should I ever decide, not likely, but should I decide I don't want to use a vendor system my customers will still be able to get their purchases redelivered easily themselves. 

It may take some work on your part to initiate redeliveries of the products you have updated to your customers, but it's possible with the system currently in place if you don't want to invest in a vendor system. 

22 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I use the Casper system. It gives detailed information on all my transactions. 

It is automatic in that you initiate the redelivery and then the system automatically sends it to your customer. You are not hand delivering it to the customer. You want to use the system in a way that is was not designed to be used. But there are vendor systems that will do what you want. 

They did document it I posted the link to the information. 

I don't think they are making it troublesome in the least. In fact, quite the opposite. I have been asking for the ability for my customers to initiate redeliveries for a very long time. That service is now in place making it easier for them and should I ever decide, not likely, but should I decide I don't want to use a vendor system my customers will still be able to get their purchases redelivered easily themselves. 

It may take some work on your part to initiate redeliveries of the products you have updated to your customers, but it's possible with the system currently in place if you don't want to invest in a vendor system. 

Of course "the system" needs to do the delivery, there is no way I could do that.  It's not automatic when someone needs to initiate a particular redelivery.

The link you posted shows some information about redelivery and no information at all about the option in question.

Have you tried to update, say, even only 3 products which were sold over the last 5 years or so not even many times to various customers and then initiate redeliveries for them?  You have to go through a ridiculous number of clicks and web pages (or parts of pages) for even a single redelivery, and you have to start it all over for the next customer.  I call that "making it troublesome".

It is not worthwhile for me to go to the lengths it requires to inform customers about updates, let alone initiate redeliveries.  Sales will never even pay for the time involved in creating stuff and, in some regards more importantly, because I make stuff for I want to have it and not for selling it, putting it up for sale.  I don't put up stuff anymore because it's not worthwhile, and I only updated some items because I don't want customers to pay for outdated versions, and because I want them to be able to get updates.

Don't expect me to pay for a vendor system because it would mean having to put money into selling stuff rather than getting some for it, on top of the time and the money I have already invested into creating things.

It turns out customers can't get updates unless they keep checking the items they bought, and it is ridiculous that they would have to poll for redeliveries all the time, especially when there's an option for "automatic redelivery".

21 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

"Automatic redelivery" enables your Marketplace customers to have their item redelivered to them through their own Order History.

They can do it themselves, with no need to communicate with you (this is the "automatic" part) as the merchant.

That's it.

That is like having to go buy groceries over and over again and calling it "automatic" just because you have to do it yourself and because you've done it so many times already.

Why can't the merchant take care of it?  In this case, I'm the merchant and want to take care of it, but the marketplace makes it impossible in that I don't even get the information out of it I would need to provide good customer service.

52 minutes ago, Ratany said:

That is like having to go buy groceries over and over again and calling it "automatic" just because you have to do it yourself and because you've done it so many times already.

Why can't the merchant take care of it?  In this case, I'm the merchant and want to take care of it, but the marketplace makes it impossible in that I don't even get the information out of it I would need to provide good customer service.

The redelivery is automatic once it has been requested by the customer. It's like doing your grocery shopping online. You still have to do it, even if the store delivers them to your door.

If your customer messages you directly and asks you for a redelivery, you can do that from your Transaction History by looking up the customer's name, viewing the transaction, and pressing the "Redeliver item" button. But that is the manual process, not the feature you originally asked about. You should explain to your customers that they can get an automatic redelivery from their Order History.

And just to clarify, if what you want is new update delivery, that doesn't exist yet.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ratany said:

It turns out customers can't get updates unless they keep checking the items they bought, and it is ridiculous that they would have to poll for redeliveries all the time, especially when there's an option for "automatic redelivery".

that's why we have store groups and subscribos, facebook pages and flickr groups: you send a notification out to your store group that there has been an update for a certain item and that the customers who have previously bought it can get a redelivery from their Order History on MP.

What you want is a very useful feature that i personally would very much like to have, too, but it's waaaaaaaay too advanced for the likes of LL's Marketplace. Even if it has officially been requested in a JIRA, I wouldn't hold my breath they implement it any time soon, if at all.

9 hours ago, Ratany said:

it is hardly of any efford, if you know the item, check the orignal delivery date at MP, than go to the bought items and click redeliver... done.. and thats all.
It's only a few clicks, even when you had bought zzillion items, your deliveries are sorted on date.
Just keep in mind, some sellers won't put updated versions there, they will put the item up as new, so no update from them.

Edited by Fox Wijaya

10 hours ago, Elvina Ewing said:

that's why we have store groups and subscribos, facebook pages and flickr groups: you send a notification out to your store group that there has been an update for a certain item and that the customers who have previously bought it can get a redelivery from their Order History on MP.

What you want is a very useful feature that i personally would very much like to have, too, but it's waaaaaaaay too advanced for the likes of LL's Marketplace. Even if it has officially been requested in a JIRA, I wouldn't hold my breath they implement it any time soon, if at all.

If the number of groups we could join wouldn't be limited to a very small number, customers might actually join and keep a store group over 10 years or so to be notified about updates that come out every 3--6 years or so.  And where is the button for the customer to click on when they look at one of my items that would make them join my store group?

A button at each item listing for the merchant to click on to initiate redeliveries so all buyers get the updated version is a very basic and simple feature, not something "advanced".

• Moderators
On 6/15/2019 at 2:50 PM, Ratany said:

A button at each item listing for the merchant to click on to initiate redeliveries so all buyers get the updated version is a very basic and simple feature, not something "advanced".

Greetings!

As with all feature requests, please submit a Jira request ticket with information regarding your suggestion.

The Engineers and Developers will then use the Jira Ticket to add the request to their lists of projects.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1766 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.