Decorating on a 100-150 prim budget?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I did a fun article awhile back decorating a house with only 90 land impact (a rental).  It really isn't that difficult if you pick well made low land impact furniture and decor. Linking items (be sure you understand the rules for that) can give you "bonus items" too.

Here is that article. 

OK. Even after reading the rules I am not sure if I can put that link in. So if you want to see all the photos of my 90 land impact styling, just go to my blog and search for 90 and it will come up at the top.

Here is the house that I decorated. 

home-exteriror.jpg

DELETING LINK so I don't get a demerit.

Edited by Chic Aeon
deleted link added photo
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Added one demerit for deleting a useful link.

LOL. Well I got my first bad mark in ten years in April so trying not to GO THERE again.  I am pretty sure that "somewhere" (I couldn't find it in the community standards page) it says "no outside links".  ^^.

Hence my deletion. 

14 hours ago, Monique Bellambi said:

Hi!  I'm out house hunting. I wanted a Linden Home but in the meantime, I was out looking at my other options.  I just want a small apartment and the ones that I found only offer 100 prims. So I was wondering what you creative folks could do with that.

Does the 100 LI include the house itself?

I would expect a house similar in style, size and quality to the new Linden Homes to be about 30-40 LI, maybe as high as 50. I suppose you have a smaller parcel than the 1024 m2 Linden Home ones though and that means you want a sightly smaller house too. So say 15-30 LI for the house.

That would leave us with 50-85 LI left for furniture. I'd be willing to spend 5-10 of them on a good bed. For the rest of the furniture, one, maybe sometimes two, LI for each piece.

My rentals come with flexible prim quotas so people can have as many prims as they like (and are willing to pay for). I have a few renters who use a lot of prims - sometimes as much as 250 in a medium sized house and even 500 in a family house - but usually it turns out that 100 is more than enough.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 3:50 PM, Monique Bellambi said:

Hi!  I'm out house hunting. I wanted a Linden Home but in the meantime, I was out looking at my other options.  I just want a small apartment and the ones that I found only offer 100 prims. So I was wondering what you creative folks could do with that.

Thanks~

Try a rental which is furnished where management prims don't count on your count (such as many of my rentals!)

But more to the point, 100 prims is actually a lot these days if you use mesh items.

I would recommend NOT getting the items advertised as "one prim" which are temp rezzing or often not very good looking -- you could put out a bed, table, armchair, side table, flowers etc with each item only being 1-2 prims up to say 10-20 for the bed. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Decorating on 100-150 prim budget is VERY doable now. As @Chic Aeon mentioned linking items is the secret, as well as removing non-essential parts that you can do without (like shadow prims for example). If you don't know how you could probably search the forums or Google it. It's really not that hard to do but a little tricky if you aren't paying attention. Practice first and see what I mean. ;)

Controversially Gacha can also help as some (by no means all!) can be quite low LI. The catch is learning to link Gacha with other Gacha items too - though that may be something to do later if you're not familiar with linking copy items already or don't want to risk 'accidentally mucking things up'. Bear in mind that a lot of Gacha (again, not all) seems to weighed down by many large textures which can contribute to lag. But to be honest it's not something that many other people seem to worry about when land impact is the key challenge.

Depending on how much you are willing to pay for an apartment in the meantime, or you don't necessarily have to be restricted by location, you could look at renting a mainland parcel as that would give you even more prims to play with. A 512 sqm parcel should give you around 175 LI, and a 1024 sqm parcel should give you 351 prim allowance. Just something to think about. There are skyboxes that are relatively cheap on the Marketplace for 1 Land Impact that you can decorate pretty efficiently too, so you might not even necessarily have to be stuck with that initial 100 (unless you like the location of course!)

Experiment with linking objects together and switching their properties between Convex Hull and Prim. If the objects are not too far apart from one another it will often reduce the LI. Do not try this with no copy objects.

I have seen people say not to link prim and mesh objects together in this way but in my experience it still reduces land impact if the objects are in close proximity to each other. Very large or spaced-out objects are best left separate. But a bit of mesh decor linked to a prim table, for example, is likely to shave off about 30% of the combined LI.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.