Hiding texture used on mesh [clothing] object ....

Elijah Patton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello!

I'm trying to figure out how to hide the texture used on a mesh object, so that you can't see/edit it when you: right-click > edit > "texture", on the texture panel. This has to be possible somehow, but I don't think I'm looking in the right place. I would imagine a script does this, but I don't know which one to use. I only need one texture on the clothing piece in question [so I don't need to use a hud], but all the scripts I've seen so far seem to use a hud. There's gotta be a simple solution that I'm just not seeing, does anyone have any point of references I should be looking at? 

I may not be understanding correctly but if you make the garment no mod (which is typical for mesh clothing) the purchaser will not be able to edit or see the texture. You can easily check this by looking at some of your own clothing. 

• Like 1

The only time I've seen something similar to this done is for sculpt maps where an alpha layer is added to the sculpt so that while it still acts correctly to form the required shape, the distinctive colour texture is no longer  visible in the preview pane for the selection panel, but I don't see how you could do it for an actual texture.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Elijah Patton said:

Hello!

I'm trying to figure out how to hide the texture used on a mesh object, so that you can't see/edit it when you: right-click > edit > "texture", on the texture panel. This has to be possible somehow, but I don't think I'm looking in the right place. I would imagine a script does this, but I don't know which one to use. I only need one texture on the clothing piece in question [so I don't need to use a hud], but all the scripts I've seen so far seem to use a hud. There's gotta be a simple solution that I'm just not seeing, does anyone have any point of references I should be looking at? 

What is your intent there, before I chew you up for assuming your customers are thieves?

Edited by Kyrah Abattoir

12 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I may not be understanding correctly but if you make the garment no mod (which is typical for mesh clothing) the purchaser will not be able to edit or see the texture. You can easily check this by looking at some of your own clothing. 

I thought this too! I tried to follow the permission settings of another mesh object, but I still end up seeing my texture in the panel, which makes me think I'm not doing something right. I added an image layout of what my project in order to illustrate things [words are hard].

9 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

The only time I've seen something similar to this done is for sculpt maps where an alpha layer is added to the sculpt so that while it still acts correctly to form the required shape, the distinctive colour texture is no longer  visible in the preview pane for the selection panel, but I don't see how you could do it for an actual texture.

I have a few items like this too. The objects are usually linked and the alpha is applied to the outer-most object. If these objects can be unlinked, then you can move them and still see the maps used [unless the creator hid those as well].

2 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

What is your intent there, before I chew you up for assuming your customers are thieves?

That seems like a overly aggressive response.

---
Here's a diagram of my current project and what I would like my end result to be. There is a GoogleDrive link HERE which also contains the reference image in the event that the image post is too large [it shouldn't be, it's only 692kb].

hideTexture-question.jpg

16 minutes ago, Elijah Patton said:

I thought this too! I tried to follow the permission settings of another mesh object, but I still end up seeing my texture in the panel, which makes me think I'm not doing something right.

The owner of the object can always see that  but it's just a small thumbnail image so there's not much people can do with them.

However, you should be aware that regardless of how much you try to protect your textures, any moderately savvy SL users can easily rip them. They don't even have to own the object with the texture on it, they just have to see it in their viewer.

This is not an SL specific problem, it's the same for everything itnernet and there's no way to avoid it. An image has to be donwloaded before it can be displayed at all and once it's on the client computer, there are dozens of ways to grab a copy of it.

22 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

This is not an SL specific problem, it's the same for everything itnernet and there's no way to avoid it. An image has to be donwloaded before it can be displayed at all and once it's on the client computer, there are dozens of ways to grab a copy of it.

Pretty much. Anything that sits in a computer's ram is under the complete control of their owner.

In your image above, the reason you can still see the texture thumbnail in edit is because that object is modifiable to YOU.
If you pass it to an alt who doesn't have your edit rights, the alt will see what is shown in your bottom "Result I'm trying to obtain" image.

3 hours ago, ChinRey said:

The owner of the object can always see that  but it's just a small thumbnail image so there's not much people can do with them.

However, you should be aware that regardless of how much you try to protect your textures, any moderately savvy SL users can easily rip them. They don't even have to own the object with the texture on it, they just have to see it in their viewer.

2 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

In your image above, the reason you can still see the texture thumbnail in edit is because that object is modifiable to YOU.
If you pass it to an alt who doesn't have your edit rights, the alt will see what is shown in your bottom "Result I'm trying to obtain" image.

It didn't occur to me to use an alt to verify the texture wasn't showing up *SMH*.

I was also informed [in-world - thanks!] that the texture itself could be made 'no mod' [not just the object], which apparently keeps it from appearing too. So I suppose, just like in PS there are hundreds of ways to do something ... it really just depends on knowledge, workflow, and how you prefer to do things. Thanks for assisting with a few things I was lacking in that regard :P

I know textures can be grabbed, so I get what you're saying however; these aren't MY mesh objects and I would like to sell the end item by making as much of an effort I can to protect them. I would also like to think I'm a 'moderate' user in SL but clearly, I'm missing things [O.o].

If any other major content creators want to share the process they use to lock their $*!^ down, I'm not opposed to hearing that information.

• Like 1

And if you're worried about the "do not distribute textures" clause of a full perm item, that simply means they don't want you passing out the texture itself as an inventory item.

As an aside, it's also  a dumb rule, anyone making such a clause for their resale content is being paranoid and showing a distinct lack of understanding regarding how SL works. There are plenty of content creators who don't only provide the textures, but the UV maps and links to downloadable PSD files. They don't suffer any loss of sales because of it, in fact they gain sales by creating a third party texture mod market that adds value to their product.

Regarding "locking stuff down" - there are a fair chunk of folks out there that simply wont buy stuff thats too aggressively "locked down". Without any debate whatsoever of the merits of their position, they undeniably exist. The more hoops you jump through to secure your work, the larger the chunk of your potential market falls away into this hole. You need to set a balance point. Where that point may be is totally your decision but you have to be aware that any user intending to rip your content can still do it. As has already been sad, it's in their computer's RAM - they've already got it. Accessing it is trivial. This fact needs to figure into your decision about where to set that balance between locking it down and having more people in your potential market.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.