Using a BOT to boost traffic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Simply put in an AR (Abuse Report). Check for the most matching subject.

These ARs work excellent, althought you might not be impressed at once. From the 1450 AR's our group had reported earlier over a years time they were all addressed brilliant in due time. It does help to have more RL people to report btw.

As per live chat,  LL chatted back to me that these ARs are taken very serious, the more the better for LL to understand patterns. 

A thing not to be done is to contact the sim owner as they can and will ban you instantly most of the time. Just put in an AR and shut your mouth. I had chosen to be open about it. Not that i was popular at the time in SL, but that is the risk of the game :smileywink:

A year later i even had received an e-mail from a RL that he wasn't very happy about my reports.

C'est La Vie. But it works.

And there are plenty other sims to move on to. Do never feel impressed or pressed by a sim owner really.

As i always say... "i don't care if you are the king, i care about the general thing", hahah.

Technically, Scripted Agents...aka Bots are not a violation of the TOS. However, more than 5 alts are. If you use your Scripted Agents for specific reasons, such as display models, you too are not in violation and do not warrant an AR.

However, if these bots are lagging down your store and you do not own the sim, report it to your sim owner. If this is due to a competitive disadvantage you feel you have, then unfortunately, you will have to find a more creative way to compete.

Crowds attract crowds because people are what makes SL fun. A bot on a region, isn't very fun and in time, they all figure this out and go away.

My point is, unless you own the sim and it's a direct problem for you, there is little more that you can do other than wait. Traffic count has far less importance in the new search as it used to.

How do you know these bots boost traffic?

As someone pointed out, Scripts Agents are totally legal in Second Life, as they do not are taken in consideration when calculating traffic. So the bots you´ve seen may be or not bots that boost traffic. Yes, I know that many use bots to boost traffic, and it is not good!

I have myself 5 bots that are all registered as Scripted Agents. I use them as a models in my store. They also are able to talk in IM, asnwering questions regarding to my store goods and policies.

I have once made a machinima about bots:

AmyNevilly wrote:

Or, instead of using bots you could use human beings and pay them less than 1L an hour by hosting the Linden Hunt....

And humans actually interract and spend money...bots just stand there looking suspicious...

AmyNevilly you misundertood my post. I have no interest in increase traffic on my land. I use bots exclusively to show off the outfits and avatars in my store, and I make the bots speak with customers about good and services.

I have used humans as models, but I used to pay a lot more than 1L per hour -- an expensive experience.

Im glad it was clarified the use of a limited amount of bots is legal by TOS. Using one as an interactive and  informative tool is smart. Using it to model clothing is also good business. Using it to boost traffic is well... very decieving and when ppl find out, they will avoid that place. I would.

Silexe

• 3 weeks later...

Silexe Core wrote:

Im glad it was clarified the use of a limited amount of bots is legal by TOS. Using one as an interactive and  informative tool is smart. Using it to model clothing is also good business. Using it to boost traffic is well... very decieving and when ppl find out, they will avoid that place. I would.

Silexe

Actually, no "limited amount", you man use as many as you want, but these have to be switched to "Scripted Agent" Status, so they dont raise traffic, but model a dress or tatoo just as fine.

• 5 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.