Windows 10 1903 incompatible with Second life?

Astrid Kaufmat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After some changes in my pc I had to install again windows. I thought to use windows 10 last downloadable vesion which is the famous may update 1903.

In the past after a few SP you would have expected a real stable system. With Windows 10 it's not like this anymore. For sure I can tell you That during my tests for pc fixing I installed and run a windows 10 1803 and it was running SL just fine.

Now with windows 10 1903 anytime I open the sl viewer if I close it using the X button at the top right corner of the viewer the whole windows Sistem becomes depixelated of all colors and I barely can see the button to reboot or do it from keyboard.

When I say close second life I mean not after logging In I haven't logged in yet. This because each and everytime I try to do the settings then close the viewer using the X button to save them I get that problem with the whole windows interface messed up.

I tried to close then the viewer not using the X button but terminating the proces from the classic task manager and yeah this way it worked. I can close it without crashing windows 10 (yet this wouldn't allow me to save settings before terminating the process).

I've tried several versions of drivers also the same older version I used on windows 7 but nothing helps. It seems windows 10 1903 code name 19h1 that sounds like a flu virus is worse than a virus for your pc: more troubles than goodies.

Is there Anyone else has installed windows 1903 lately and is having iussues like this?

In forum I found an similar iussue in the past and I am having something like this a rainbow windows closing SL by X button.

Maybe it's that pity new feature to edit screen light at night I am trying to see how to disable it or even better kick it out from my pc.

Edited by Astrid Kaufmat

This is a known problem with the Windows 10 1903 update.
See BUG-227042 - When exiting the LL SL viewer graphics are borked

After exiting the viewer, you can use the shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+WIN+B  to reset the graphics to fix the messed up screen.

Better yet, there is a fix for this bug in the LL Rainbow-RC viewer: https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer/6.2.3.527758.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Thanks Whirly I'll take a look at it. I am going to test your shortcut too as soon as I get at home.

Wish I never put this damn 1903. Got to see how to download an older version  or even better use a LTSB much more stable and reliable (which I often used for tests but I don't want to use on a pc to avoid to activate it with some sith powers :P)

I found another kind of workaround too for thos of you who have installed it and want to wait for a fix.

What I do is instead of X button to exit use the  Task manager so ctrl shift esc and manually terminate the prcess SL either it would crash the system.

Edited by Astrid Kaufmat

On 6/12/2019 at 7:11 AM, Astrid Kaufmat said:

I found another kind of workaround too for thos of you who have installed it and want to wait for a fix.

What I do is instead of X button to exit use the  Task manager so ctrl shift esc and manually terminate the prcess SL either it would crash the system.

What you're doing is essentially manually crashing the viewer; that can result in problems such as corrupted caches and failure to save settings changes.

There's no need to wait for a fix; the link Whirly posted is the fix, and that viewer has no other changes compared to the current default viewer - it's as specific as can be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Yes thanks  Whirly and Oz. Today  I finally found time to install and test the fix. It seems working no more psychedelic-allucinated screen when I use Quit button.

No need to wait for a fix. I belive next version will include this fix too.

At least now I can still make it work as I used to and make of it also a portable app with custom cache  and settings path to run from other disk/s.

• Like 1

Having the same problem. And I am definitely an "omg, I broke the computer" sort of person. So far,  Ctrl+Shift+WIN+B has not worked for me.

I noticed several websites list the sequence as WIN+Ctrl+Shift+B. I guess I'll see later if starting with the WIN button first makes any difference.

My least ugly workaround has been to close Second Life, then Sign Out on the Task Manager which fixes the graphics and then sign in to Windows again.

2 minutes ago, Corcosman Voom said:

Having the same problem. And I am definitely an "omg, I broke the computer" sort of person. So far,  Ctrl+Shift+WIN+B has not worked for me.

I noticed several websites list the sequence as WIN+Ctrl+Shift+B. I guess I'll see later if starting with the WIN button first makes any difference.

My least ugly workaround has been to close Second Life, then Sign Out on the Task Manager which fixes the graphics and then sign in to Windows again.

Why don’t you download and use the recommended (RC Rainbow) viewer? That’s the real fix.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 5:47 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

This is a known problem with the Windows 10 1903 update.
See BUG-227042 - When exiting the LL SL viewer graphics are borked

After exiting the viewer, you can use the shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+WIN+B  to reset the graphics to fix the messed up screen.

Better yet, there is a fix for this bug in the LL Rainbow-RC viewer: https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer/6.2.3.527758.html

This does fix it. I have a laptop with the exact same fault.

2 hours ago, Corcosman Voom said:

I noticed several websites list the sequence as WIN+Ctrl+Shift+B.

It's not a sequence like a cheat code, press all 4 buttons at the same time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The actual SL Viewer?   Eeeeewwwwww

Always worth having the latest LL viewer as a benchmark for the other ones. I actually use it far more than I ought to, given that I love Singularity above all other viewers.

And as penance for my saying that, I then went to login via the LL Viewer, to be greeted with a message saying I should be on this RC Rainbow version which should have been downloaded for me but hadn't so would I like to visit the website and download it please? Please as in "and you can go no further until you've complied with our request suggestion full-stop.

Ok, so, I'm travelling across Canada with a laptop that has the Intel Graphics chip and what the hell, Hotel wifi runs SL so it should be able to download 104MB of new viewer? Oh yes, says the hotel wifi, but you get it at 25KBs. 

Going to be a long night...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The actual SL Viewer?   Eeeeewwwwww

Be nice. In the experience of myself and almost every other person I've spoken to, the "Actual SL Viewer" actually outperforms all the third-party viewers (especially Firestorm in-particular), except for Catznip Viewer. *ALL* the viewers are good viewers. ~wags a "naughty girl" finger at you~

Edited by Alyona Su

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Windows seems to have resolved the problem on its side without any updates that I could see in Update History.

A couple of days after first posting here I thought I had stumbled on an even easier workaround when I had a browser open while closing SL and there was no bad-trip psychedelic mess on screen.

Since then I've closed SL several times with nothing else running and no graphics problem. How it resolved itself, I have no idea and I don't care.

And no, I did not do the logical thing and download the Rainbow RC viewer because I am, indeed, just that lazy. 😃

Edited by Corcosman Voom

On 6/20/2019 at 2:52 PM, Alyona Su said:

Be nice. In the experience of myself and almost every other person I've spoken to, the "Actual SL Viewer" actually outperforms all the third-party viewers (especially Firestorm in-particular), except for Catznip Viewer. *ALL* the viewers are good viewers. ~wags a "naughty girl" finger at you~

This may be true, but I can't remember how to do anything in a viewer I used for a week 5 years ago.

6 hours ago, elviratg said:

This may be true, but I can't remember how to do anything in a viewer I used for a week 5 years ago.

Fair enough, though that doesn't make that viewer any less or worse that the one you prefer currently, does it?

22 hours ago, Corcosman Voom said:

Since then I've closed SL several times with nothing else running and no graphics problem. How it resolved itself, I have no idea and I don't care.

And no, I did not do the logical thing and download the Rainbow RC viewer because I am, indeed, just that lazy. 😃

The Rainbow-RC viewer was promoted to default release a few days ago  ;)

On 6/20/2019 at 2:52 PM, Alyona Su said:

The viewer colour scheme, and there is no supported alternative, is pretty horrible. Yes, there is Starlight, but the default colour settings make me struggle to read anything, and no viewer seems able to pick up the OS setting for the mouse cursor. This is not good UI design, and my eyes are old enough to notice this sort of thing.

So the viewer is efficient, but is that enough to make it good?

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.