Second Life Project Viewer 360 Snapshots version 5.1.6.515934

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You can still download it here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Project_360_Snapshot/5.1.6.515934

It's been removed from the new Alternative Viewers page: https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer.html
I asked why it was removed & the reply was it's been removed because it's  not been updated for a year

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

I asked why it was removed & the reply was it's been removed because it's  not been updated for a year

... leaving the obvious question: Why hasn't it been updated for a year?

... and the not quite so obvious question: Does this mean Place Pages could be deprecated, now that Auctions are based on them?

13 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

No, I tried to and it didn't. just the latest viewer of second life was downloaded not the one i want.

13 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Can I ask, who do you ask? is there anyway to have it back?

18 minutes ago, Chanty Bolissima said:

It didn't need any update, it was working perfectly fine until they took it offline

Ah, thanks. I haven't actually used it for a long time, and the version I used was very (very) buggy.

At some point I guess they'll need to update it to pull in the EEP features, but I suppose first they need EEP to be working in the regular LL viewer, and I've kinda lost track of progress on that, too.

1 hour ago, Chanty Bolissima said:

No, I tried to and it didn't. just the latest viewer of second life was downloaded not the one i want.

Ugh ok.  You are right. I just tested it & the updater is forcing a download of the default release.
You can work around this though  :D

If your install was already messed up by the updater, install the snapshot viewer again from http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Project_360_Snapshot/5.1.6.51593411

At the end of the install, you'll see the updater start to download the default release viewer.
As soon as it does this, click on the X top left.
You'll need to click the X a few times till it gives up.
index.png.80a05ef342ddfca7b77549bddaed296c.png

After a few clicks of the X, you'll see this:
index.png.49b12466d2931c128c3b63445aac16ff.png

Close this Window with the X.
The snapshot viewer will then launch.  Close the viewer.

Then right click on the desktop shortcut for the snapshot viewer (it will be called Second Life Project 360 Snapshot), go to Properties.
Go to the Shortcut tab.
In the "Target" text box, go to the end of the text & add a space & then add --channel NoUpdate

So for example, if your target was set to "I:\Program Files\SecondLifeProject360Snapshot\SL_Launcher.exe" --set InstallLanguage en
You want to change this to   "I:\Program Files\SecondLifeProject360Snapshot\SL_Launcher.exe" --set InstallLanguage en --channel NoUpdate

Apply & OK to save changes.
Launching the viewer from this shortcut will then bypass the updater.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The snapshot viewer is using the old SL_launcher, so there's actually an easier way to cripple the updater.

If you look in the viewer install folder you will see SL_Launcher.exe, which is the updater that launches at first. The shortcut points to this SL_Launcher.exe.
You'll also see SecondLifeProject360Snapshot.exe

Make a shortcut on your desktop to SecondLifeProject360Snapshot.exe.  This will launch the viewer directly & bypass the updater.

You'll' see this warning when you do this - just ignore it.
index.png.f5a411d8f7b0cbb129c86f4845a41c91.png

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Chanty Bolissima said:

Thank you so much, coz yes I tried it and it worked on windows great. I do appreciate your help a lot.

Can I please bother you & ask if u have a way to make it work again on Mac!? coz on Mac this way didn't work. 

You should be able to do what Whirly describes, but you have to view the package contents first: Right-click on the LL App and choose SHOW CONTENTS - that opens a folder that shows (basically) what Whirly describes above. Locate the "SecondLifeProject360Snapshot" app and right-click on it - choose "Make Alias" - a copy of the icon will appear that shows a tiny arrow in the lower corner (it's what Windows calls "Shortcut" - Copy that alias to your desktop. Now close all those Finder windows and give it a go.

This is how to do what Whirly describes, I haven't tried it myself on this viewer, but it works for me on the regular LL viewer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chanty Bolissima said:

I tried both described ways to make it work on mac and still I couldn't. 

If there is any other working way to share would be greatly appreciated please. Just for Mac & Thank you in advance.

Screen%20Shot%202019-06-13%20at%2006.21.

This is where it is located inside the Package Contents. Though the app does NOT work on Mojave (it immediately crashes - tested on on home laptop, but works on work Mac with Mavericks) - it's just too old and apparently abandoned by LL.

EDIT to clarify: Launching the App proper crashed immediately on Mojave, with a "terminal window" and all kinds of Whirly-worthy ( @Whirly Fizzle) juicy-looking code stuffs that make me glassy-eyed. *HOWEVER* - Using the Launcher (the app icon that appears on desktop) works just fine and opens the 360 App. However, launching it a *second* time is when it checks for any updates (then grabs the release Viewer) - one option may be to flush the settings files like this:

Copy the viewer from Image file to desktop, use it. Then use a free "App Cleaner" utility from App Store, then "clean" the app from the desktop when done (this will remove *all* orphaned files, including P-Lists and Prefs, etc) - then empty trash. SAVE the Disk Image for when you want to use it again. Rinse and repeat whenever you're in the 360-Snapshot mood.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.