Someone took my SL IP adress

Ezmeraldaeumamulher

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

10 answers to this question

An IP address is an address for a computer, like a house has an address, so does your computer, these addresses are not private, as any computer your computer communicates with knows that address, or it would have no clue where to send the requested data back to.

Change your password, and move on..:)

Happy sling

• Like 3

because password

he can go inworld and pretend to be you.  He can go round greifing and trolling and everyone will blame you.  He can delete all your stuff in your inventory. Abandon any land you have.  If you have a payment method attached to your account he can buy L$ which will be charged to you RL. He can change the account password and lock you out

if you can access the account then do and change the password like right now

if you cant access because he changed the password then file a Support Ticket and explain your situation. If the account does have a payment method then as well as a Support Ticket contact your credit card provider or PayPal/Skrill and block any payments to LL until you get it all sorted out

Edited by Mollymews
password
  • Like 5

Just now, Ezmeraldaeumamulher said:

Oh thank you for your quick answers 

I got my account back and changed the password imediatly but he says he can see what I do.

Though I am not sure what he can see.

good that you changed the password

now block him, consider him as dead to you, and go on with your life

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ezmeraldaeumamulher said:

Oh thank you for your quick answers 

I got my account back and changed the password imediatly but he says he can see what I do.

If you've changed your password, he can't see a damned thing other than your online status, which is available to everyone.

• Like 4

On 6/11/2019 at 7:24 AM, Ezmeraldaeumamulher said:

... he says he can see what I do.

Yeah... and I can see what you post here... and OMG if we are in the same club I'll see you doing that Funky Chicken... 

When we 'do' a friends thing it is possible to let them know when you are in-world/logged in. That happens by default. You can also enable 'mapping' which lets the friend see where in-world you are... location-wise. There is also a 'share' that lets them do things with your stuff. These later ones you have to manually enable. Be sure the person is "UNfriended" and if you aren't going that far make sure the 'friend' permissions are what YOU want them to be. This is all in the people panel.

If your friend had control of your account these settings were likely changed, and that is why the 'I CAN SEE YOU'.

• Like 1

Regarding your personal vulnerability via your IP address, he can see where you live down to the neighborhood.  With Google streetview he can traverse up and down those streets viewing what the Google cam recorded and look at all the houses around you, even your own,  and will not know which it is.  He can learn quite a bit such as nearest supermarkets, gas stations, routes into town.  I do not wish to alarm, just telling you the obvious.  

What I find curious is how he might get your IP address by having access to your account?   Any help on that from anyone?

Edit:   You see there is a very good chance this man is a liar and a bully.  It would be helpful to the OP if we can shoot holes thru that IP claim.  But can we?

Edited by Lancewae Barrowstone

1 hour ago, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

But can we?

I suppose it all depends on where you are and how paranoid you want to be.  If you are the only person in a rural county with Internet access, chances are pretty good that someone who knows your IP address can find you.   On the other hand, if you are in a coffee shop somewhere or in college residence hall with 500 other students, the best that anyone can do is probably to figure out which building you are in.  No matter where you are, knowing your IP address doesn't tell anybody who's using the computer.  Three or four roommates using the same router all look the same from the outside.  Add to that the fact that many routers assign a dynamic IP address that changes frequently, and your worries get even smaller.  None of that is protection against a dedicated snooper or the NSA, but I don't think there's enough to keep you from sleeping well at night.

4 hours ago, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

Regarding your personal vulnerability via your IP address, he can see where you live down to the neighborhood.  With Google streetview he can traverse up and down those streets viewing what the Google cam recorded and look at all the houses around you, even your own,  and will not know which it is.  He can learn quite a bit such as nearest supermarkets, gas stations, routes into town.  I do not wish to alarm, just telling you the obvious.  

What I find curious is how he might get your IP address by having access to your account?   Any help on that from anyone?

Edit:   You see there is a very good chance this man is a liar and a bully.  It would be helpful to the OP if we can shoot holes thru that IP claim.  But can we?

Lance, first of all, from what I can gather, the OP's public IP address has not been compromised.  She's calling her login credentials her "SL IP address", which is incorrect.

However, it IS possible for someone to get your public IP address.  If you listen to streaming media or music (in SL, or in fact anywhere on the internet) the provider of the stream can know your public IP address.  They have to, in order to provide the stream to you.  This is the way that certain "alt detector" systems like the infamous "Red Zone" worked.  Sadly, simply knowing someone's IP address is not a surefire method of detecting alts.  The method is subject to both false positives and false negatives.  Moreover, as Rolig points out, having someone know your public IP address is not something to be greatly concerned about.  If you ARE concerned about it, there are lots of VPN services out there that can help you keep that information private.  I use NordVPN.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.