Deploys for the week of 2011-05-09

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4727 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is going to be a different week. We are timeshifting the release by 1 day. The main grid will be rolled Wednesday morning and the RC channels will be rolled Thursday morning. What happened was that last weeks emergency fix for the physics issue introduced a new sim crash mode that was particularly nasty and has been cropping up a lot. We're in a tough spot because we need the physics changes in there to go out to the full grid, but that's not realistic with this crashing issue. So we pushed an emergency release to the Magnum channel this morning and we're going to watch it until Wednesday morning. If it has stabilized we're going to release it to the main channel. 
I know this has been a frustrating few weeks for you, and I sincerely apologize. It's been really frustrating for us as well when we hit issues like this. They hold up progress on our end and push other projects back.

Second Life Server (main channel)
This will hopefully be the fully fixed, patched, non-physics weirdity Andrew's "maint-server". 

2011-05-11, 5:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/11

Second Life RC BlueSteel
There are no changes to this channel. It will match the main channel release. 
2011-05-12, 8:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/11

Second Life RC LeTigre
This channel will get some bug fixes in the form of a Kelly's "maint-server" branch.
Bug Fixes: 
  • SCR-61: "llOwnersay Truncates multibyte characters at the end of it's range"
  • SVC-6573: Block execution of ungrouped scripts on ungrouped land that blocks scripts.
  • SVC-2810: IM to Email sending out messages that can't be replied to.
  • SVC-4632: Getting past estate land bans
  • SCR-66: "llRegionSayTo() Fails to send messages to attachments on sitting avatars"
  • Added logging to help in investigating a "'TIMEWARP" issue that is causing some residents to be kicked off simulators
  • A simulator crash mode.
  • A dataserver crash in SMTP connection sending mail

2011-05-12, 9:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/11

Second Life RC Magnum
This channel will also match the fixes on the main channel.

2011-05-12, 10:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/11

We will be monitoring this thread during the next week so please feel free to post issues that you feel have been introduced by the new code. Please file a JIRA for issues you find and post the JIRA link into this thread. It really helps us out. When determining if issues are relevant or not research is key. Tracking down exactly the right situation where an issue is occurring greatly speeds up the development process to get fixes in place.
I appreciate your help. Have a good week!

__Oskar

p.s. If you are interested in helping test SecondLife in beta please join the group "Second Life Beta" in-world. We also have an email list where we communicate upcoming projects and how you can help. ( https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/server-beta ) Once a week we meet on ADITI to discuss new features, new bugs, new fixes, and other fun stuff. You are more than welcome. Information is here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_Beta_User_Group

I think that "fixing" SVC-6573 (Block execution of ungrouped scripts on ungrouped land that blocks scripts.) is an incredibly bad idea and an absurd waste of precious development time on something that's frankly a non-issue.  It introduces risk and disruption for what appears to be zero benefit or justification.  If someone wants to set no-scripts on an ungrouped parcel, they can already do that just fine by turning off both options.  Changing this is going to break existing content in subtle and non-obvious ways, and there's precisely zero resident support recorded in Jira for the change in behaviour.

I'd never seen the jira before or I'd have added my own support for it. I see the concern for it possibly tweaking some peoples settings, but I think the fix is proper behavior (having no-group should not allow you to run scripts on non-group land)... I think it breaks land owner expectations if that happens, and results in more help and trouble tickets because of it.

I always thought it was buggy that none was treated as a group (some lsl functions operate this way as well)

many kudos to Maestro (or whoever got 61) & Kelly for banging out fixes for SCR 61 and 66 so fast (61 was just under a week old, and Kelly only heard about 66 yesterday!). I know it can be annoying to see small things go through before older issues, but it's nice to know that quick and simple fixes can get through the queue quickly and simply

Oskar, this has been tough on everyone, but especially tough on business, and more are closing everyday.  That is why people are so unhappy and critical.  Your honesty and forthrightness concerning the problems we have is both appreciated and refreshing, just knowing there is a problem behind these things and not being told it is a problem with our computers or with our isps is a welcome change.

It would be even more welcome if we were given more time between restart, because in all honesty we have no time to recover now and the ensuing instability is driving people away who have spent years making sl a better place.  This is more than apparent from the economic datat that was put out that even as meger as it was portrayed anything but a healthy economy.  In closing let you remind you that SL really is a creature of two parts, one the technological component which you and others ars stiving to fix, and the other the social and economic part that is just as if not more important.

The truth is the two cannot be separated, but even if you manage to vastly improve the sl program and make it do wonderful and astounding thing, which indeed it does already, it is a totally wasted effort if in the rush to do so the society and economy which is SL is destroyed.  Right now that economy and society like that of the world at large is under severstress and that is why I suggest that the pace of restarts slow somewhat to allow us time to recover and mend the wounds that have been placed upon us both by real life and the technological and programing problems of sl.   Thank you for you effort and your refreshing honest, but understand that when you meet a bitter reception it often comes from weeks of pent up frustration a LL seeming indifference to the problems we face, and the seemingly self destructive policies often pursued by Linden Labs, despite the earnest entreaties of its playing population to do otherwise.

Again thank you for your frank statement concerning the situation with the restarts it was and is appreciated.

I will have to echo Arwen here. I am missing a considerable amount of my inventory and I can not teleport. My skins are being given an error that the location of the body part can not be found.

Can we roll it back or be given an update as to when this error will be fixed? Or if it can be fixed?

Alexi Raynier wrote:

It would be even more welcome if we were given more time between restart…

I really could not agree less with that.  The weekly restarts have vastly improved performance grid-wide, as the memory leaks in the server can no longer build up to the point where they cause chronic lag in busy regions (and for all other regions sharing the same server as busy regions).  Additionally, the weekly upgrades are allowing much smaller changes than was previously possible, allowing much easier identification of where new issues are coming from and allowing old bugs to be tackled on an incremental basis.  In the past when we had a month or more between major upgrades, the 1.x.0 release frequently caused far larger problems which were much harder for LL to narrow down to the specific change which caused the issue.

We absolutely must keep moving forwards and tackling old bugs and much wished for changes at the current rate.  Any form of slowdown on that would cause far more longer term damage to SL than the disruption of a weekly upgrade restart (which is now vastly quicker than it used to be, with regions often only offline for around 10 minutes, compared to 30-60 minutes a year ago).

Keep up the good work, Oskar, and whatever you do, please stick to the weekly version rolls, it's a clear order of magnitude better than the previous mega-update system.

Thanks Maestro. I posted at 6:57am, 15 minutes before the grid status was posted (I did check there first for info). Since I have never seen an outage of this nature before and I've been in second life since 2006 (other avi), and it happened immediately after I had been logged out for a restart and logged back into a grey world and no inventory, I had no idea what was happening. I did not know that sending info through Help in the viewer was the way to communicate the issue (I've only ever needed that Help section for griefers in the past), and from the flood of group im's reporting the same issue, apparantly others didn't know either.

I'm glad it was all sorted so quickly and that you and Oskar were on the case! Thanks very much!

I have pretty much given up on everything here.  It seems like everytime I turn around there is a restart, new server rolls. and the like.   When is this going to stop, and when are we going to get consistancy.  Quit tweaking this thing, please.

I give up, probably deaf ears

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4727 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.