My sim has gone back in time...

Marchesa Isenia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I rent a sim(Avant) through an agency, I have estate controls, the land is deeded to a group I own. 

Hanging out on the sim, nothing unusual, maybe ten or so of us on the sim, three of us nearby. I moved some furniture, we opened a few boxes and took their contents into our inventories.All three of us using the Phoenix viewer.

All three of us crashed simultaneously- not sure about the others on the sim. On returning, the furniture I had moved was back in its original positions.

The contents from the objects we had rezzed and opened were still in our inventories.

We cleared cache and returned, reset the sim just in case, even tried viewer 2, nothing changed this apparent "roll back" that has occurred on the sim.

Before I do anything else, I want to make sure nothing's WRONG with the sim. Has anyone heard of this happening and/or have any idea what might have caused it? Some of the objects I moved were high price non-copiables so I'm reluctant to take them into my inventory or move them again just in case.

3 answers to this question

Hi, the state of the resgion: where all the objects were, what scripts are doing, and so on, is automatically backed up periodically. This backup happens again when the region shuts down, so that for a normal restart, everything comes back just like it was.

If the region crashes hard, that very last backup may not complete, so the region skips back a little to the time of the last good backup. that is when you will see furniture go back to its old place, or an object you took to inventory is there again, or the one that can really hurt: you just rezzed a no copy object and it is gone forever.

• Like 3

Perhaps the landlord asked LL for a sim rollback for some reason.  That would reset everything to the way it was at the spefici rollback time s/he requested.  Ask.

For more information about rollbacks, see http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Managing-private-Regions/ta-p/700115#Private_Region_auto-saves_and_restores_.28rollbacks.29

Its funny when that happens but not unusual. I was playing a board game the other week,  just after the game finished  the sim crashed. We all came back and realised the game was no longer over, it was about half way through so we sat down and finished it again...I still won LOL :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.