Gambling Game in SL Stores for Outfits

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

57 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Mine as well. Brits do the best insults!

Any culture that can come up with the word "gobshiite" has to be the best. I don't know what it is about that word but ❣️

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Any culture that can come up with the word "gobshiite" has to be the best. I don't know what it is about that word but ❣️

By George, makes a fellow proud to be British.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Gatcha trick, exposed.

Number 1, is very cool and appealing graphics.  You gotta hand it to 'em, they do that very well, and it makes you want what you see.   That's good work!

2, is that the machine gamble is a clever way of increasing volume, not steady lackadaisical sales in the normal sense, but whirlwinds of purchases in gusts and bursts of $Lindens pouring in.   Than all goes quiet for a while.   Yes, the uncertainty of this kind of purchasing from a consumer standpoint is rather unsavory to me and many others, but.... there it is.  Take it or leave it. 

3, is that those who decide to gamble their way through and achieve that rare item depicted so enticingly, take their product along with a chestfull of all the unwanted parts and pieces, and off they go.  Now that's HIGH sales volume per point sales!   Sure those customers can go resell those unneeded items, and believe the Gatcha folks are wayyy  cool with that, since you are doing sales for them (as alluded to, above).   Now, that's technique!   Unsavory still, to me.  But... it is what it is.  This goes back to the Old Arabian Markets, and Kipling's Kim and ancient Rome.

4, is that I always thought some of the clothes didn't actually fit that well.  You now can find fitted mesh for your avatar but still, is it really all that well fitted?  That's real potential downside since there are no Demos to try on.

5, I forget ..if there is a 5th... just fill it in for me here >>.....

SO, the appeal of gatcha marketing is the appeal of the carnival, the lights and spinning wheels, the cotton candy and the chili dogs.  You spend a little more than you intended.  You fall immersed in the unique visuals.  It's a thing!  But hell... it's the Carnival!

That's gatcha!  Almost short for gotcha.

I personally hate gachas so I don't buy 'em; but I'm also against too many rules about things other people do.  If you find them objectionable you don't have to play.  Why  make rules to limit other people's choices?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Seeing as Gacha re-sales adds a market value to the product, the gambling aspect is a real thing to some people; there's plenty of MP stores and in-world locations dedicated to re-selling Gacha items, and it's quite common that people gamble on the machine until they have a complete set of a certain colour and then try to sell it for profit (often at a very high price - popular Gacha sets can easily be found listed for L$5,000) - and it's not uncommon that Gacha addicts will spend more than that at a machine in a single session in an attempt to complete their set, hoping to offset their losses by re-selling unwanted items.

I think that Gachas are problematic, especially when we've got the whole Lootbox discussion that's actually turning into law in several places around the world, and with LL's own rules on gambling. A game to roll dice even with L$5 per try and a L$10 reward for a double is gambling, but putting L$75 in a machine that spits out an item which's market value can range from L$10 to > L$1,000 isn't?

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.