Kenji Tammas

Second Life Viewer seems to work on macOS 10.15 Catalina beta

Posted (edited)

I installed macOS 10.15 beta on my 2012 iMac and the latest Official Second Life Viewer also.

It works !! 

I have not tested  every feature of the viewer, but everything is fine so far.

I thought that OpenGL will be abolished in macOS 10.15, but it is still included.

I also tested Blender, and it worked too.

Edited by Kenji Tammas

I've always suspected OpenGL will be included in the next release. When Apple proclaims they are depreciating something then eliminating it, they usually give a couple cycles before doing it. 32 Bit apps not working in the future was announced two or three years ago, for example. Catalina is the first to abolish it entirely.

Thanks for taking the beta-testing plunge, it is good to know we are 'safe' for another year. LOL

OpenGL will most likely be gone in 10.16 if you read between the lines of the OpenGL to Metal conversion session of WWDC 2019.

I also found the viewer is running fine in the macOS 10.15 beta, but the HIToolbox is still present in it, and Apple said very explicitly in last years WWDC that HIToolbox will be gone for good in 10.15. It is still early days, so we shall see...

Edited by Gavin Hird