What we gonna get with the new super premium?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 6/10/2019 at 2:36 PM, Qie Niangao said:

*There must have been a Mod perm cabin prefab in the past year or so; I remember unlinking bits in search of what part(s) inflated its Land Impact score.

Yes, that cabin they offered as a premium gift earlier this year was modifiable and so was last year's halloween campsite. There was no specific part that caused the bloated land impact (and render cost), it was poor optimisation throughout - standard Mole mesh.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/10/2019 at 5:16 AM, RaeLeeH said:

Nope. That's a hands-down from me. I have to confess that I've never actually used any of the Premium Gifts. Initially it was like I had to have it because it was somehow special and "free", but now I generally don't bother. The LI is usually too high, and they usually don't apply or appeal to me. You can't please everyone all the time, right?

After watching the forums these past few weeks over the changes being made I think if LL pulled the gifts, people would backlash over that too.

And gifts isn't the right word. More like perks. Even that's not right. We've already paid for admission, so to speak. But its all semantics really.

It's got to be hard enough coming up with something that looks decent, has good LI and LOD, and enough general appeal that the majority of folks want it (even just because it's free)? There's too many people to accommodate for. Too many varied tastes. Too much potential to offend or upset, even if they tried to appeal to the masses. If they had us pick from a poll, there's always going to be losers that will boycott what they didn't get to choose. People will always complain. It doesn't matter how much we get we feel entitled to more. Or better. Or different. Or cheaper. Or something, dagnammit! 

Personally, I'd prefer to do away with gifts and raise the stipend, perhaps. Though there's enough threads on that to explain why, from a business perspective, that's unlikely to happen. I honestly don't know what could be offered when the two main factors that really influence players in SL is prims (allowance) and Lindens. The rest is a bit superfluous isn't it?

I remember that in 2003 and 2004, there was a "Super Premium" membership: Charter Members. They paid a one time fee and have access to 4096 sq. meters instead the 512 (now 1024 sq. meters).
In my humble opinion, Super Premium members could have a higher weekly stipend and access to a free 8k sq. meters and also the possibility of a one time fee instead of a yearly plan. The Premium Gifts don't have any real value for me.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Radioactive Rosca said:

I remember that in 2003 and 2004, there was a "Super Premium" membership: Charter Members. They paid a one time fee and have access to 4096 sq. meters instead the 512 (now 1024 sq. meters).
In my humble opinion, Super Premium members could have a higher weekly stipend and access to a free 8k sq. meters and also the possibility of a one time fee instead of a yearly plan. The Premium Gifts don't have any real value for me.

That one time fee back then was $150, a massive bargain because those users are STILL reaping the rewards of that offering today. If LL was to offer such an incentive today, it would have to cover projected costs over many years into the future AND have an expiration of some kind. Say, $1999 for 8192 sqm for 10 years, which saves $2201 in tier plus another $990 in Premium membership costs over that time. I suspect few would commit to it though as the future gets more uncertain every year the older you or the company gets or with the potential of the company being sold (cough, Amazon, cough). but it could be a great cash grab vector if statistics shows it favors LL, particularly if enough new users are losing interest in the platform early or never use all of their tier.

Plus, such a commitment would only be in the range of the hard core, long term users who have been Premium for over a decade, so there's that...

Would you spend that kind of money if the offering was for 1/4 a sim?

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

That one time fee back then was $150, a massive bargain because those users are STILL reaping the rewards of that offering today. If LL was to offer such an incentive today, it would have to cover projected costs over many years into the future AND have an expiration of some kind. Say, $1999 for 8192 sqm for 10 years, which saves $2201 in tier plus another $990 in Premium membership costs over that time. I suspect few would commit to it though as the future gets more uncertain every year the older you or the company gets or with the potential of the company being sold (cough, Amazon, cough). but it could be a great cash grab vector if statistics shows it favors LL, particularly if enough new users are losing interest in the platform early or never use all of their tier.

Plus, such a commitment would only be in the range of the hard core, long term users who have been Premium for over a decade, so there's that...

Would you spend that kind of money if the offering was for 1/4 a sim?

I think that the Lab could have some sort of bonus to the Residents that have more than 10, even 15 years of continuous Premium membership. Those would have direct access to "Super Premium" membership with bonus price or even a one time payment. But what the Lab really wants is to have more and more Premium members, not worrying too much about keeping the current ones. 
And yes, I would spend that kind of money for a 1/4 of SIM (It's what I have for almost 10 years in Plusia, Mainland), if paid only 1 time. After seeing what is happening with Sansar, I fully believe that SL will be around for many more years.

On 6/7/2019 at 7:11 AM, Chronometria said:

so, they announced they gonna do like a new premium that is like "everything you could ever wants from second life"

If that's the case, I'd like X-Ray vision and a universal translator that turns gobbleydee***** into the Queen's English.

• Haha 2

I couldn't find the extracted word in the serious dictionaries, but, in the less formal ones, the extracted letters, used as a separate word, are shown to be offensive to certain communities.

(I'll never be able to tell you what a lovely place exists at UK postcode DN15 6PY , that's for sure  🤐)

1 hour ago, Odaks said:

IT DOES!!!!

(The correct spelling, for the benefit of the super-curious, is g-o-b-b-l-e-d-e-g-o-o-k)

Why the heck are they blocking that?  The only possible reason that I can see is that the word is apparently also a slang insult for Asians.  I wonder what other slang words they've blocked because they are also insult words in some usages.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

the word is apparently also a slang insult for Asians.

Yes, exactly that, but its stupidly over-zealous to chop bits out of the middle of perfectly acceptable words, or off the front or back!

Edited by Odaks
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Odaks said:

Yes, exactly that, but its stupidly over-zealous to chop bits out of the middle of perfectly acceptable words, or off the front or back!

Yes, but we already know that their software is flawed.  There is a member here that always gets part of her named bleeped whenever it is written because some letters in the middle spell out a slang word for female genitals.

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yes, but we already know that their software is flawed.  There is a member here that always gets part of her named bleeped whenever it is written because some letters in the middle spell out a slang word for female genitals.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

If that's the case, I'd like X-Ray vision and a universal translator that turns gobbleydee***** into the Queen's English.

This is why those particular four letters are censored.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/*****

a derogatory term for certain people of East and Southeast Asian descent. The slur is frequently directed toward people of Filipino, Korean, or Vietnamese descent.[1] It was originally predominantly used by the U.S. military during wartime, especially during the Korean War, and more so during the Vietnam War.[2][3]

So I just use gobbledegoop instead.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I so wish I could go back and get the premium gifts that I forgot to grab when they first arrived...

It could have been a cool collection but there are so many other collectible series in SL and inventories fill up fast.

I regret deleting the cabin because it was such a good example of some basic optimization techniques. (If you ask whether it was an example how to do it or how not to do it, the answer is "no comments.")

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2019 at 4:06 AM, Chronometria said:

Yup - we gonna be the kings and queens of Bellisseria - which is kinda funny cos i not even able to get a home there at the moment. We gonna have the exclusive parties and like, if you just got a houseboat or something, we gonna be like "release the hounds!"

But... but what if the new houseboat is a Pirate ship! We sea going folk can sack and burn your mega house

black-pearl-troubles-again-stefano-popovski-canvas-print.jpg

• Thanks 2

On 12/5/2019 at 1:52 AM, Radioactive Rosca said:

One of the clubs I used to go to the owner has that and doesn't have to worry about tier for his land. He said it saved him a lot of $L and to keep the club going. I wish they would bring that back in some way again.

2 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

One of the clubs I used to go to the owner has that and doesn't have to worry about tier for his land. He said it saved him a lot of $L and to keep the club going. I wish they would bring that back in some way again.

I doubt they will, as it wasn't a subscription perse as suggested in this thread. It was more of a reward for Beta Members where they were offered, for a fee, a once off life membership. It was only offered directly after the beta for a short time as far as I am aware.

To be honest I also hope they don't do this as this is one of the reasons why much of the mainland is vacant. The situation is that many of these life members hold land on the mainland and because by right they don't pay tier they in essence don't have to log into SL ever. Consequently all those people that don't log into SL anymore, still have this land linked to their account.

Additionally you also have to remember that back when these memberships were offered mainland was the only land available so premium was taken up. I don't see however, any bonus land on mainland linked to a premium account being of any benefit as an offer as, the increase to 1024 did very little to bring further members in on the current subscription. Not to mention there is still the outlandish price of actually buying land on the mainland since LL have failed to update or even use their Land Auction for many years. Perhaps it may have been different if residents could only abandon land to Governor Linden and not sell it directly as this would make it somewhat more affordable.

1 hour ago, Marut72 said:

Is there a rough estimate as to when the new premium offering will be announced? I was a premium member but didn’t really use it much although now that I shared to do more photography, I am really curious about the members only places. 

The latest word is that they will announce it after name-change ability goes into effect and they are estimating first quarter 2020.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marut72 said:

Is there a rough estimate as to when the new premium offering will be announced? I was a premium member but didn’t really use it much although now that I shared to do more photography, I am really curious about the members only places. 

keeping it to Linden terms : soon ... not very soon but soonish :SwingingFriends:  first other sooner things

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.