Descent into the Uncanny Valley: Fear and Loathing in the Vanity Threads

Scylla Rhiadra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 6/8/2019 at 6:56 PM, Madelaine McMasters said:

Yep. We've grown up in nature and know what "natural" movement is like. If you see a tree moving in a way that is unnatural, the cognitive dissonance sends your subconscious searching for a cause. And we've a propensity to think that causes are intelligent and absent evidence to the contrary... nefarious.

Or - if we take the risk going back to Uncanny Valley as applied to humanoids for a moment - those barely noticeable unnatural traits may be a sign of some disease that may be contagious.

Much of this is learned though. Going back to the safety of a lion hiding in the savannah grass, you have to know how grass moves naturally to notice if it doesn't. Uncanny Valley is personal. Deviations that some people don't notice at all, might be glaringly obvious and disturbing to others.

In SL, no. I have not experienced the uncanny valley with the avatars here.

I recently watched a play-through of Detroit: Become Human on youtube though, and that absolutely did. Human faces have a ton of small movements and micro-expressions going on all the time. The lack of that is what I get the uncanny valley feeling from, in simulations and robots alike. The mouth movements are particularly off-putting to me, when the characters have speaking parts in the game it's what freaks my brain out the most. There's just something about the elasticity of the skin around a human mouth that cannot (yet) be emulated accurately in a simulation. That and the lack of tongue movement. And the teeth just look wrong. Ugh, I hate it lol.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.