Deploy Plans for the week that never came

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

May we get  notice of the plans weekly again? Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6BN0B0Rks8

It could happen soon
I heard them say
It could happen soon
But just like yesterday
The ships have come and gone
And we were not along
Oh
Tomorrow never came
I've been here dark till dawn
And still end up the same

Edited by Victorian Magic

Are deploy notices being discontinued?

For months we have been seeing mostly 'Internal Changes'. That description is useless to us, essentially cutting off this communication channel.

The server updates to a new OS and other changes began to effect a few users early in the year with TP & Crossing disconnects. That grew affecting more and more people until recently when the Lindens decided it was a serious enough problem to throw engineers at it. 

Users have the challenge of trying to decide if their connection and performance issues are local, ISP, or Linden side. The Deploy notices give us a clue, admittedly often misinterpreted. Without some idea of what is going on tens of thousands of us flounder around wasting time. 

For the last few years communication from SL Lindens has been improving. Is this a change in that trend?

• Thanks 1

I just want to know if the regions(and which) will roll, so that if not we can roll them to help with the script issues. Keeping things as crisp as possible for the private estate residents.

hums

"It could happen soon
 I heard them say
 It could happen soon"

I should probably refrain from pointing out the blindingly obvious...but...

@Liffento Eldritch: Many regions need restarting far more often than the "every ten days or so" that is currently being followed by LL.  Moreover the restart occurs when 10 days are up and not on the normal rolling restart days.  I have personal experience of this.

Dependent on the number and type of scripts and the region traffic, regions often require frequent restarting to clear the leaky memory of the simulator.

As to "not worrying", frankly we worry simply because LL's tech teams are only barely in control of this behemoth we call SL, and they frequently have far more pressing matters to attend to than region restarts, which are NOT automatic.

First of all, it is not just "private estate 'residents'".  I need to follow this  as my railroad system has a glitch where I have to hunt down and check on the lines in 2 sims and reset the scripts manually if they glitched.  Been doing this for a good 9 years now.

Secondly, this 10 day restart system is suspect.  For some reason, I find that I get restarted at suspiciously timed hours on Saturdays, and then again during the 10 day restart on Wednesdays.

But, I'm not fully convinced restarts always do much for the simulators.  My beta sim hardly ever lags.  My non-beta sim works like garbage even minutes after the restart.

Just to confirm that Wirtz sim, on LeTigre RC channel has NOT rolled today.  Going to talk with LL support about this.

LL Support unusually clueless about the no-roll for LeTigre.  Got a male domestic fowl and bull story about regions "not being able to be restarted due to large numbers online in the regions"(!).  Support was of the opinion that LeTigre HAD been rolled.  It had NOT.  Every LeTigre region I subsequently visited had not been rolled.

Wirtz was restarted at my request but has not rolled to a new server version.  Yet.

It is interesting to note that the Roll ended long before the LeTigre regions are normally rolled, so clearly something was not normal.  With the Restart Thread no longer being created by LL in this forum we are completely in the dark as to what has occurred.  I must say this is very poor communication by The Lab.

Edited by Aishagain
Further information

Well, it is now becoming clear that whatever happened to yesterday's RC channel roll, we are not going to be told.  It may well be that there was a late -discovered security loophole, we are never told details of those.  This time we are not even being told that there WAS a problem.

Coupled to the apparent discontinuation of the publishing of release plans in this forum, we are plunged into a new limbo regarding planned or unplanned changes to the Second Life system, the use of which many of us pay.

I find this unsettling and hardly something that would prompt free account users to upgrade to Premium.  LL's bean counters would do well to think on that.

Edited by Aishagain
Grammar correction

23 hours ago, Aishagain said:

LL Support unusually clueless about the no-roll for LeTigre.  Got a male domestic fowl and bull story about regions "not being able to be restarted due to large numbers online in the regions"(!).  Support was of the opinion that LeTigre HAD been rolled.  It had NOT.  Every LeTigre region I subsequently visited had not been rolled.

There's still a "support" department?  I stopped talking to them once they told me the beta grid isn't run by Linden Labs, and when they had some problem years back where LeTigre sims had the wrong prim counts so people couldn't use rez zones, all they did was tell me that the sims shouldn't be on those servers and to switch them to whatever the regular sims are called.

I vote we shut down support, get an automated system to request restarts, and lower the tier prices.

@Israel Schnute

Actually LL support have been very good until the last instance and I think it is significant that this was the first non-Linden I had spoken to for a long time.  Have  all the Lindens been drafted in to pedal the generators?  I think we should be told!

@Minuet Voir

Ouch! I'll report you for cruelty to cute furries! ;)

Edited by Aishagain
irreverent addition

Today in the Beta-Server UG meeting (6/6) I asked Caleb Linden about the Deploy Posts. Caleb says they will return. 

Seems there is a rotation in who is up to post the Deploys posts... someone dropped the ball, Maz is out sick, Caleb was sick last week, the drill to fix Disconnects on TP/Crossing was apparently a hectic process and a couple of other fixes got dropped out in that process causing a previously fixed in RC problem to reappear - but that is kinda fuzzy even for the Lindens, so this week we were supposed to see Le Tigre and Magnum update but Le Tigre apparently did not update... confusing... plus add in rumor and some other stuff... it becomes obvious no one on our side of the servers is sure exactly where things are.

I suppose by next week things will settle down and get reorganized.

• Thanks 5

On 6/4/2019 at 8:08 PM, Aishagain said:
11 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

... confusing... plus add in rumor and some other stuff... it becomes obvious no one on our side of the servers is sure exactly where things are.

As to "not worrying", frankly we worry simply because LL's tech teams are only barely in control of this behemoth we call SL, and they frequently have far more pressing matters to attend to than region restarts, which are NOT automatic.

Think anyone would get cocky if I said it's cool to think about that they're trying to run an actual WORLD here!?

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.