Taking photos

RebeccaCourt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1779 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi and sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question. 

I am trying to take pics without my avi in the screen, but when I zoom in, I of course, lose all my camera controls. How do I take pics in this way?

I am sure I am not making sense. Sorry

Thanks in advance 

9 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, RebeccaCourt said:

Hi and sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question. 

I am trying to take pics without my avi in the screen, but when I zoom in, I of course, lose all my camera controls. How do I take pics in this way?

I am sure I am not making sense. Sorry

Thanks in advance 

I am not sure of the situation as you should be able to alt click on anything and zoom in or ctrl O to get in closer. Another trick though is to remove everything you have on and just be an invisible avatar, with a full covering alpha (you can find in the library folder or make one if you do not have one) that way it won't matter what you are doing, you will not be in the image :)

• Like 1

To center your camera on a spot, hold ALT and left click.  Then you can move your camera from there anywhere you like.  To return the camera to the default position behind your head, type ESC.  Everything else is equally easy, as long as you get rid of the silly camera widget on your screen.

f_SLcameraconm_43a804a.jpg.447df400e8f53a7f9254c484c0afb5ff.jpg

Edited by Rolig Loon
Ooops
  • Like 2

Not silly at all.  Camera control is one of the basic skills.  It takes practice, and can be frustrating until it becomes second nature.  When I have to explain, I have to think about exactly how I do it.  Mostly, my fingers just know where to go now.  Yours will too.

• Like 1

As for why your controls disappeared....when you zoom in, you eventually go into Mouselook, the first person view mode.  In this mode, your controls disappear.  By using the ALT+left click and hold, you avoid this and are able to move your camera so your avatar's out of the picture.

• Like 1

Those into SL photography and machinima use some tricks. Basic are the camera controls Rolig posted. As people advance their skill they move to the Firestorm viewer with its Photo Tools and Black Dragon Viewer with its pose controls and enhanced rendering features. 

In the ADVANCED (Ctrl-Alt-D) menu there are controls like Limit Select Distance, Disable Camera Restraints, High-res Snapshots, and Quit Snapshots.

In Firestorm Viewer there are more camera controls some are in most viewers; Ctrl-0 - zoom in, Ctrl-9 - reset camera zoom, and Ctrl-8 zoom out. Alt-mouse-wheel (mw) = zoom in and out, Alt-Shift-mw move camera focus point up/down, Ctrl-Alt-mw move camera up/down ... these three are sticky. Clear them with ESC (sometimes two presses are needed) and Shift-ESC to reset to viewer default.

Another step is using a 3D mouse, like Space Navigator. The key combination Shift-Alt-F pushes one into Fly-Cam mode where things work a bit differently and the 3D mouse is awesome.

There are tutorials on all these features. Google...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1779 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.